Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ: Dash Lights will not work

After taking the dash apart and trying to narrow down WTF is going on here because the headlights and tail lights all work fine except the dash lights. By all means I am no electrical engineer but I think I narrowed it down to the dimmer switch. I took the dimmer switch apart and the circuit board part of it was broken. Hoping this could be the issue.
    Last edited by Drewminator; 09-10-09, 08:04 PM.
    Drew
    95yj Six Pack

Originally posted by Drewminator View Post
    After taking the dash apart and trying to narrow down WTF is going on here because the headlights and tail lights all work fine except the dash lights. By all means I am no electrical engineer but I think I narrowed it down to the dimmer switch. I took the dimmer switch apart and the circuit board part of it was broken. Hoping this could be the issue.
    Switch+broken= lights no worky. I wish the switch I have would work for ya but it's for a 2002 TJ. Thats kinda wierd (I guess) cuz I just worked on my lead tech's daughter's old LTD tonight. Same thing; broken LS.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Thanks Kurt my brotha! If this could be part of the problem and it still doesnt work, Im thinking of maybe by passing the dimmer switch and putting my own lights in the dash with a separate switch for them. I will cross my fingers when i buy the switch from the dealer.

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
      Switch+broken= lights no worky. I wish the switch I have would work for ya but it's for a 2002 TJ. Thats kinda wierd (I guess) cuz I just worked on my lead tech's daughter's old LTD tonight. Same thing; broken LS.
      Drew
      95yj Six Pack

Comment

Mine did the same thing so, I by passed the dimmer switch and they work just fine now. I can't use the dimmer but..... at least I have dash lights!
        "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Hey Scott,

How did you do it? I think I would rather do the by pass then replace the switch. I just want to make sure i do it right.

Thanks-

Originally posted by avjeepfreek View Post
          Mine did the same thing so, I by passed the dimmer switch and they work just fine now. I can't use the dimmer but..... at least I have dash lights!
          Drew
          95yj Six Pack

Comment

Just snip the 2 wires that connect to the rheostat/ dimmer on the light switch and connect them together if you look at it you can figure it out works like a charm

Comment

I cut the wrong F'n wires and lost my tail lights. I put it back together and the tail lights are back to normal. I think your TJ is a little diff from the YJ.

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
              Just snip the 2 wires that connect to the rheostat/ dimmer on the light switch and connect them together if you look at it you can figure it out works like a charm
              Drew
              95yj Six Pack

Comment

If you know which wire feeds the dash lights, then just hook them to the wire that gets hot for the tail lights and be done with it use one of those blue scotch locks the little square plastic thing. That way it will work just fine

Comment

Will do. I'll give it a shot.

If you know which wire feeds the dash lights, then just hook them to the wire that gets hot for the tail lights and be done with it use one of those blue scotch locks the little square plastic thing. That way it will work just fine
                  Drew
                  95yj Six Pack

Comment

Thanks a bunch Art. I googled how to bypass a rheostat switch and i found a forum to where it gave a wiring diagram and to jumper the two outer wires. It worked out like a champ. :cocktail:

Drew
                    95yj Six Pack

Comment

Why not just replace the dimmer switch? They are cheap enough
                      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                      MJR moderator
                      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Drewminator View Post
                        Thanks a bunch Art. I googled how to bypass a rheostat switch and i found a forum to where it gave a wiring diagram and to jumper the two outer wires. It worked out like a champ. :cocktail:

how about hooking anothe yj brother up

share what you did

my gauges dont work along with the dash lights
                        [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Mr Dirty its easy to fix do you have power to the gauges, if none of them work check for starters the fuse for the gauges and trace from there to the instrument cluster

Comment

Originally posted by dr.dirty View Post
                            how about hooking anothe yj brother up

share what you did

my gauges dont work along with the dash lights
                            If anyone has a good schematic for the gauges plese share. We have had OU812's dash apart a few times, but with no real tech literature, it mostly amounted to poking around in the dark with a test light.
                            An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

I called every Jeep dealer and they said no one had it in stock in the whole country (hard to believe) and that it’s back ordered. He also said that it will cost about $135 bucks. I checked a couple of wreaking yards and it was a no go. The bypass worked out better then I thought.

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                              Why not just replace the dimmer switch? They are cheap enough
                              Drew
                              95yj Six Pack

Comment

Working...
                              X