Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new look for the Rat?

What do you guys think? Sprint car with 40's?

All this came about because of these little F**kers:

Yes, both wheels came completely off rolling down the road by Boulder Bay. I was on my way home after an AAT run on Holcomb. Heard a knock-knock noise (no joke). Pulled the front end apart in the 7-11 parking lot but didn't find anything unusual. I didn't look inside the third member...
    I pulled the axles and went for a drive. The noise stopped so I figured, run it home and get it up on Jacks. Made it to Boulder bay when the wheels started coming off, literally. Like a dumb ass, I trusted those freaking unit bearings to stay together. They didn't. AAA took me home, got it up on jacks and found the broken ring gear. All in all, not too much damage, but the Rat's out of commission for a while. Guess I'll have time to build my suspension now.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

holy crap glad your ok, so it was the unit bearings, and the ring gear, damn....

Comment

Kurt you are lucky people have gotten killed runing their Jeep without the axle shafts in place, would have been better to just take the driveshaft out but then in hind sight you know what happens, looks badass though with the nose down low.
      Since you have to buy a ring gear and pinion maybe time to hit the junkyard for a high pinion dana 30. That or spend big bucks for something more stronger

Comment

Brain was not connected at that point. I was way tired and just wanted to get home. Another lesson learned, and yes, I will be upgrading. Not sure what though. Spyder 9s????

Comment

Frick, turned out to be a tooth anyway huh? Well, at least you locker isn't toasted like we'd thought. Any chance that ring & pinion are warranty work?

My heart sinks every time I see the rat in 'snow plow' mode.

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
          Kurt you are lucky people have gotten killed runing their Jeep without the axle shafts in place...
          I fear he would have been if he'd have been going down the grade when they let go...
          [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
          Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Kurt you are lucky people have gotten killed runing their Jeep without the axle shafts in place, would have been better to just take the driveshaft out but then in hind sight you know what happens, looks badass though with the nose down low.
            Since you have to buy a ring gear and pinion maybe time to hit the junkyard for a high pinion dana 30. That or spend big bucks for something more stronger
            Yeah I know. Had a freind on here break up on Little Bear and drove home sans axle shaft on the driver side. Made it to SD without incident. Just wasn't my day. I went through my allottment of bad luck for the rest of year Saturday!

Comment

Glad to hear you are okay, Kurt. Sounds like that could have turned out much worse.
              That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

I worry about my 30 breaking but nothing like you! spyder 9" is my next front end or currie 9"
                IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

to reep the benefits of th spidy youll need to redo all your controll arms and front frame.... oh and the steerin box.... so you can turn with the rear wheels planted lol
                  starvin student...

Comment

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=17

Comment

I think my day was a whole year's worth all rolled into one!

It started when the GPS :poop: the bed, my jacket zipper broke, I sun burned the top of my head real good, got stuck in soft sand (that's when the ring gear broke), and to top it off, I got a call from the Animal Control that my favorite little weiner dog Gus, who I bought but my ex got in the divorce, was run over and killed friday (he was micro chipped Sarah) . I'm just now digging out from under that big, steaming pile of :poop:, well, when life gives you manure, palnt a garden, right?

Comment

Those are some scary pictures (although the Rat does look kinda cool all low and mean in the front.) Glad to hear you're okay.
                        "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

I think you still ought to count yourself lucky if one of the wheels had come of in a turn a bit further down the mountain it would have given a whole new meaning to a crappy day. You ended up having a day in the mountains which is nice with some rotten challenges added.

Comment

I think you still ought to count yourself lucky .
                            And you think I don't???

Comment

Did you try driving it without the axles in and that why the hubs came apart??Are those 40" tires?? your profile says 35".
                              Any way glad to see you allright and nobody got hurt. I think Double AA jinked you by bringing up your indestuctable d30 in the thread above. lol, wait!! thats not funny.

Comment

Working...
                              X