Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Ord Belt Mine / Gold Belt Mine

I met Dave and Dalene this morning in Apple Valley and we headed out to re-explore some areas that had climbs that I skipped or by-passed back when I was afraid. First we headed north on Camp Rock Road to the Ord Belt Mine. This is an old mining area with several mines and sites to explore. We drove right up the steep and loose climb to the upper level and walked all the way to the back of the mine tunnel. A very cool area with lots to check out. On the way back down we stopped at the overlook and enjoyed the view. Next we headed north for a quick stop at Camp Skee. The miners cabin is still clean and intact, as well as the main mine tunnel. After some shooting, we left for the Aztec springs area. Dave and Dalene hiked to the Springs while I did a little crawling up a rocky canyon in the streambed. After hanging for a while we headed west to Hwy247 and then south to the Gold Belt Mine. This an interesting place with huge concrete foundations that supported a large stamp mill that was in operation from 1930 to 1932. The main tunnel is said to go back 800', but the entrance is small and you have to climb down in about 15 feet before you can stand up. We decided that we would stay out and stay safe on this one.

When we left we stopped at Max's house to claim our "Free Ammunition". We visited for a few minutes and as we left I found a Rock for me to pose on and show off the new tie rod / drag link set-up as well as the new rear diff skid that Ken made for me yesterday. All and All a great day wheeling.

If anyone wants to check out the mines in this area let me know. I'm afraid that our days are numbered in this area. With the "Fry Mountain Wind Project",
    the Marine Base wanting to take another 120,000 + acres of our public land, and If that's not enough, Dianne Feinstein (Liberal Democrat/San Francisco) has requested $2,500,000 million dollars to destroy our mines and historical sites in the area because liberals think that we need help to protect us from ourselves! We might get hurt by the mines that have been sitting here from 50 to over 100 years.

Mitch

Upper Ord Belt Mine Dave / Dalene

Cave Lizard

Ladder inside the mine

Heading down from the Ord Belt Mine

Looking towards Big Bear from the overlook

Camp Skee

Aztec Springs

1917 cabin foundation

Gold Belt Mine looking towards Lucerne Dry Lake

Narrow Shelf road heading down from the mine

Showing off the new rear diff skid and tie rod

thanks

Fisrt I wanted to thank you for all your awesome reports you post. It is always nice to see that others like to explore and enjoy our history. i was wondering what maps you use for the johnson valley area?

Comment

Great photos Mitch! The work to your Jeep looks great!
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

explorer1,

I have a "All Topo Maps" program that prints USGS topo's for the entire state. I look for mining features and cross reference to Google Earth for a visual idea of what I'm looking for and then follow GPS and elevations to go searching in my Jeep. I have several books on the history of the Mojave desert area as well the complete series of books by the late local historian Bill Mann. Bill's Lucerne Valley book has 50 places of interest (Mines, Rock structures, Historical buildings)listed with a general area GPS numbers for each. I use a very basic Garmin Legend GPS, but for me it really makes sense and I almost always can tell where to look. Thanks for the interest.

Mitch

Comment

Let it be known to all that Mitch has gone from a 2 to a 7 1/2 in the "testies dept" as of late. Again, thank you for another great Sunday.
          :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Mitche's huevos

Actually Mitch, I'm really not interested. However, I would like to do some exploring in the JV area given all that is going on currently. Are you game? Roger..........oh Roger..........how about you?

-Brian
            Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Originally posted by ECV Jeep View Post
              Actually Mitch, I'm really not interested. However, I would like to do some exploring in the JV area given all that is going on currently. Are you game? Roger..........oh Roger..........how about you?

-Brian
              Dude, you know I'm in! Have Jeep will travel...
              MJR moderator
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Next time I WILL jeep

As much as I am ashamed to admit it, my last trip in the Lucerne Valley area (thank you Mitch for the trip report) took place in a Toyota pickup. Once again, a Toyaota proved itself a worthy vehicle.............but it was not a JEEP. Roger and Mitch, you should expect a call from me soon regarding some hair brained idea to explore the area you call home. I am thinking of a trip from 247 up Bessemer Mine Road all the way to HWY 40, and then possibly running back via Newberry Springs area to HWY 247. This would not be a difficult 4x4 trip, but more of an exploration and documentation of the area kind of thing. I know you guys are up for this. Once we get it planned, we need to invite ALL our MJR friends to jon us.

Comment

Brian,

Just let me know, but please don't make me drive on Bessemer Mine Road. It is mile after mile of hoopty doo's and there isn't anything interesting in that immediate area. I'm trying to talk Roger into one more desert adventure before he switches to the cooler mountains for the rest of the summer. Unless someone wants to explore a previous location, I'm going out Saturday to search towards Landers for; the Los Padres Mine, the Emerson Mine, "Booths Folly" (A rock cabin and some petroglyphs), and the Rock Corral south of Hwy 247 in the foothills. This will bring my total to 45 of the 55 sites listed in the Bill Mann Lucerne Book.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                    Brian,

Just let me know, but please don't make me drive on Bessemer Mine Road. It is mile after mile of hoopty doo's and there isn't anything interesting in that immediate area. I'm trying to talk Roger into one more desert adventure before he switches to the cooler mountains for the rest of the summer. Unless someone wants to explore a previous location, I'm going out Saturday to search towards Landers for; the Los Padres Mine, the Emerson Mine, "Booths Folly" (A rock cabin and some petroglyphs), and the Rock Corral south of Hwy 247 in the foothills. This will bring my total to 45 of the 55 sites listed in the Bill Mann Lucerne Book.

Mitch
                    Brian,

I gotta gree with Mitch, Bessemer Mine Rd. is boring with a capital B. If you want to travel from LV to I-40, there's much more interesting routes.

Mitch,

I think I'm game for Saturday, I'll check back with you later in the week to confirm.
                    Last edited by Roger; 07-07-08, 09:15 PM. Reason: I'm retarded - forgot to check spelling & grammar duh!
                    MJR moderator
                    Jeep Patrol Leader
                    Reforestation Supervisor
                    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                    Eagle Scout

Comment

Bessemer Mine

At some point I need to get out to Bessemer mine as part of my committment to the PFJV folks, also over to the Copper Strand Mine. Anyone else know of mines that would be within the area of the proposed 29 Palms expansion????

Comment

Hey Mitch, let me know when you're going to be making another trip. I'd like to go.
                        WILL WORK FOR JEEP PARTS!!!

Comment

Brian / Jim,

I'm meeting Roger at his house around 6:00am on Saturday to go Jeeping. Roger wants to beat the heat, but I know that it makes for a super early day for you guys. If you want to check out areas that will be impacted by the possible public land grab by the military and if it's not to early let me know. If you would rather wait a week and head out later or see if it cools down we can do that also.

Brian, I need to see a map of that possible land grab that would go to Camp Rock Road. If it is as I thought, impacted sites would be:
                          *Copper Strand Mine - miners cabin, several mine tunnels,
                          leaching tubs, and lots to explore.
                          *Fry Mountain Mines - The awesome Arrastra - very well intact,
                          this should be in a museum before it is destroyed - Cold Fear
                          Mine, several shalts, 2 tunnels, and great exploring over
                          several acres - Main mine area, a dozen mine tunnels and
                          shafts, one tunnel goes in about 200 feet and then splits left
                          and right with the left having a shaft to another level,
                          several old mining roads with hand stacked rock sides. There
                          is like a hundred acres to explore, with mines and tunnels
                          running along the whole ridge top.
                          *Silver Bell Mine - Mill foundations, A deep vertical shaft,
                          pieces of mining equipment, several acres to explore.
                          *Silver Cliff Mine - A huge wooden ore hopper hanging over
                          the cliff, Mill foudations, cabin ruins, mining ruins, Acres
                          to explore.
                          *There are a couple of un-named little mines in the area, one has a small ore grinder, a vertical shaft, and a tunnel around the hill (it was 30 degrees and windy so we did not find it).
                          *Bessimer Iron Mine - This was a must see for me cause of the Bill Mann book. Totally boring, open pit mine area, a crappy road to get there and a waste of time. Long ago this produred a lot of iron ore! But still nothing to see.

Mitch

Comment

Mitch, I have a map. I found it through google. Try entering <USMC proposed take over of Johnson Valley map>

There's a few maps posted and some are newer revisions by the Marines, so check the dates.
                            MJR moderator
                            Jeep Patrol Leader
                            Reforestation Supervisor
                            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                            Eagle Scout

Comment

Brian & Jim. It's going to hot and NWS is also forecasting possible thunder showers in the afternoon. So an early morning run is really the time to go right now. It'll be worth getting up early for also, the desert is the most beautiful in the early morning...

Mitch - If they come we should move the meeting place to the Valero Gas Station. Yes? No? you coulds still run up to my place to drop the doors off. (I accidently typed drop your drawers off but that didn't sound right)
                              MJR moderator
                              Jeep Patrol Leader
                              Reforestation Supervisor
                              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                              Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                              X