Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Dusy Ershim Trail

Trail Report – Dusy Ershim Trail (Part One)

Not far from Shaver Lake, there is one of the most technical but scenic trails in California. This is the Dusy / Ershim Trail. It is actually two trails that were joined over time that were originally made to reach the fishing lakes of the western high Sierras. The USFS has specifically asked that the trail be maintained as it is and to NOT make it any easier! One book that describes the trail says that this is a trail for 'heroes'. Having run the trail for the first time, I would have to agree!

The ‘Dusy’ is not for the faint of heart. In theory, the 33 mile long trail can be driven in one day, but I would have to say that from pavement to pavement would require a most focused driver and one willing to traverse at least a very difficult portion of the trail in the dark to make it in a single day!

Several MJR folks met to take the Dusy challenge. We set aside 3 days to do the trail, but if I get a chance to run the trail again, I will set aside 4 to 5 days to make the run.

Max7 (Maxwell), Dirtman13 (Chuck and Alicia), Rat Patrol (Kurt), and Malachi (that’s me and Sharon) met at Voyager Rock Campground on Saturday evening. I love these pics over the Courtright Reservoir on the way in:

After a great meal by Chuck and Alicia, I headed down to the beach for some great shots of the fading light:

We discovered that Saturday was Rat Patrol’s birthday, so we dubbed this run as 'Kurt’s Birthday run'. Since his birthday wasn’t over until the run ended, Kurt had a three day birthday!

On Sunday, we awoke to an overcast sky. After an excellent breakfast provided by Rat Patrol, we headed out of Voyager Rock campground to the first BIG obstacle on the Dusy Ershim trail: Chicken Rock. This is a large granite dome that has a small rock garden to traverse to get to. The climb is long and steep. As long as you do not stall, the climb is really only moderate.
    The vid captures the height of the climb fairly well:

There are great views from the top of Chicken Rock:

Afterwards, the trail drops down to the Reservoir for a while:

Next the trail passes into Dusy Meadows. The trail is never less than a difficult rating, but the meadows give the allusion that the trail isn’t so bad:

The corduroy roads across the wet spots are a great idea that still challenges the driver:

Even with the meadows along the way, the trail is full of rock-crawling challenges. This eventually culminates in the VERY long climb up Thompson Hill. This is a nasty, loose boulder climb from about 8500 feet elevation to 9500 feet elevation. It just doesn’t end when you really start hoping that it does. Check out these pics and vid:

Eventually, we made it to Thompson Lake… only 9 miles into the trail! We set up camp and fended off the mosquitoes. The area is absolutely beautiful in everyway:

The next morning, we headed across the high elevation (over 9000 feet) forested mountains. The trail was challenging every foot of the way. It was just as beautiful:

to be continued....
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Dusy Ershim (Part 2)

We fished at East Lake and had good success:

The trail to the next campsite wasn't remotely easy, but it was easier than the previous day:

We camped at Ershim Lake and had a wonderful dinner served by Maxwell. The lake had the only people that we met on the trail. Even so, it didn’t take away from the beauty of the lake:

Leaving the campgrounds seemed to have some of the toughest terrain for some reason. Check out this clip of the drive out of the campsite:

The trail has 7 beautiful lakes along the way. The trail passes through some beautiful places as well, but it is seldom that you will find more than 100 yards of the trail that doesn’t include some sort of rock-crawling to get through. I am pretty sure that Dusy Ershim is some ancient Indian language for “narrow, rocky passage”.

The last day of the 33 mile trail has some wonderful meadows and high vistas. One point, Mt. Givens, is over 10,000 in elevation:

It also has some of the toughest boulder crawling that we encountered. Check out these pics and vid:

This was not a trail for just anyone. This is a challenging, “don’t leave home unless prepared’ trail! Even so, I am looking forward to the next time that I get a chance to test my mettle against the trail.

We have lots of pics, and I am sure that the others do too. You can see most of our photos at this link:
    http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...20-08/?start=0
    Last edited by Mike; 07-25-08, 06:47 AM. Reason: spelling
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

man i am def jealous i missed this one it looks like everyone had a blast and as always mike great pictures
      [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

WOW. Great trip report and fantastic pictures. Unbelievable scenery. The fishing looks fantastic as well. This area is moving to the top of my must do list for next summer. Thanks for sharing.
        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

very nice pics, looks like you had a great time, been there but need to go back again, awesome wheelin country,,,
          06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
          07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

WOW . . . those pics are amazing . . . thanks for sharing Mike. Are all the trails up there pretty extreme?
            That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your trp with us. What a great place.
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Yeah X2 on the pics. That looks like a good trail.
                Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Amazing pictures, trip, and report! Thanks for sharing! I've gotta figure out how to make a trip like that!
                  If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

As a "rock monkey" I've gone with groups 4 differnt times to the Dusy Trail. Success 2 times, turned back broken with our tails 'tween our legs...2 times. A for real "ball buster", your talent for understatement is humorous.

I've had a great time up on the Dusy...be sure to put your "big boy" pants on before you go.

Great pics!

Comment

Wow! Unbelieavable! That was a great report and looks like you all had a awesome time too! Thank's for sharing!

-Scott
                      "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

What an unbelievable trip this was. It had everything to make this trip perfect, breath taking scenery, crystal clear lakes, challenging rock crawling, and great friends. This was defiantly the best Jeep trip I have been on.
                        First night at Courtwright

We cut our fire wood along the way

Top of Chicken Rock

As Mike mentioned there was some challenging spots.

We crossed quite a few creeks.

The meadows were unbelievable.

Interesting rock formation that resembles a man with a beard.

At the first lake we took a little dip in the water, which was refreshing.

The lakes were so clear.

Down near the lake this bird kept flying around me and I couldn't figure out why.

Then I saw that she was keeping an eye on her two babies that were on the shore.

Oh Shit Rock. I wanted to rename it Pucker Rock.

Check out .

Comment

Part 2

Again this was a great trip and I give this trail :thumbs_up:thumbs_up
                          You can see 250 of the 400+ pictures I took here.
                          http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...him/?start=all
                          Check out .

Comment

Outstanding! Thanks for sharing!
                            97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                            WEB site

Comment

Sorry i had to back out of this trip, looks like i eally missed a great time, but would't have been the same with out the wife and kids. My kids would have loved it, just our Rubicon adventure. Next time guys
                              moon buggy
                              5.3, turbo 350, Atlas 4.3, 9" front rear

Comment

Working...
                              X