Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1N34 San Sevaine Rd

Doug,

Once again you posted an outstanding post. What is the story on this campground? Did it just re-open? The campground looks very unused.

Man what a huge number of dead trees. It looks like a wildfire just waiting to happen. I hope everyone is careful around there...
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

San Bernardino, CA., September 15, 2008-

The Front Country Ranger District of the San Bernardino National Forest plans to re-open Forest Road 1N34 (San Sevaine Road) on Sunday, September 21, 2008.

San Sevaine Road, located in Lytle Creek Canyon has been closed for fire rehabilitation and hazard tree removal. The project has been completed and when opened, the road will be accessible to the Joe Elliott Campground.

Forest visitors are reminded that the fire danger level remains high and current conditions are still very dry and serious. Please contact the local Ranger Station for fire restrictions before entering the forest.

For more information, please contact one of the offices listed below or visit the forest website at http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/

Lytle Creek Ranger Station: 909-382-2850
    San Bernardino National Forest Supervisor's Office: 909-382-2600
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
      Doug,

Once again you posted an outstanding post. What is the story on this campground? Did it just re-open? The campground looks very unused.

Man what a huge number of dead trees. It looks like a wildfire just waiting to happen. I hope everyone is careful around there...
      Roger that area was burnt in the Grand Prix fire of October '03. It has been closed since then. All the vegetation you are seeing is regrowth. The campground is more like two yellow post sites. 1N34 continues past the campground, but is closed. It came out in Rancho Cucamonga. There are some huge washouts of the road so it is doubtful if that section ever reopens.

Here's a couple of things I googled up

http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/ar....jsp?id=194001

There are some photos in this gallery

http://shanlw99.smugmug.com/gallery/...22255409_KyUjh
      Last edited by karstic; 09-25-08, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Another story from 2004

http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbik.../detail/331858
        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

1N34 San Sevaine

Length: 11 miles

Trail Rating: Green Circle Easiest
          Street Legal Vehicles ONLY

Elevation: 2200’ to 5800’

Trail is adopted by: Scout's West
          and Rubicon Owners of California

East entrance on Lytle Creek Rd at
          N34° 12.105 W117° 26.922

Lat/Lon format is hddd° mm.mmm WGS84 datum

[color=red]1N34 San Sevaine is CLOSED in high fire danger conditions[/color]

It is always a good idea to call the ranger station before heading in to the forest and get a current conditions report. Lytle Creek Ranger Station (909) 382-2851

Joe Elliott Campground has 2 sites.

The view of Ontario & Rancho Cucamonga

The view from Buck Point looking at the Cajon Pass

Near Dustin Spring

Attached Files
          Last edited by FishPOET; 01-28-11, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Karstic & Fish poet - Great links - thanks!
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
              San Bernardino, CA., September 15, 2008-

The Front Country Ranger District of the San Bernardino National Forest plans to re-open Forest Road 1N34 (San Sevaine Road) on Sunday, September 21, 2008.
              Good job on the pics,.. I have not been up that way in about 15 years. Let me know if you are interested in doing a scenic run or even better yet a run/camp out....MATT
              "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

has anyone gone up there recently and is it still rated as an "easy" trail? i tried to go up there last week and found the gate to be closed.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
                  Lytle Creek Ranger Station: 909-382-2850
                  I just called an they said the road is open and should be open until March.

Comment

thanks, maybe i'll check it out this weekend if i can get away for a few hours. maybe i should have confirmed the gate was locked--some clown must have closed it!

Comment

The gate was locked a couple of weeks ago, because of red flag conditions. But should be open now for public. Can't go past Joe Elliot campground though. As a matter a fact J.E campground is under full restoration, we try to get out there as much as we can to do some work on our aat days.

Comment

Working...
                      X