Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
    Im WAY over budget for the heep this month. Ill pm you in a few paychecks to see if you are still have it.
    [nana]OFF TOPIC[/nana]
    whaja get? whaja get? whaja get?
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Mostly camping stuff and some stuff for the chevy.
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
        Im WAY over budget for the heep this month. .

hey debbie downer! your not overbudget for this month, you are way underbudget for next month!
        :beer:
        An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

I'm in the same boat, still waiting for my rebate check. They keep telling me they mailed it... It isn't SPOT's direct fault, but rather the company they hired to handle the rebates.

Comment

Originally posted by Dezdan View Post
            I'm in the same boat, still waiting for my rebate check. They keep telling me they mailed it... It isn't SPOT's direct fault, but rather the company they hired to handle the rebates.
            It is absolutely SPOTs fault. They have mishandled the rebates and the recalls. Their customer service is TERRIBLE
            Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

We tried to use a SPOT last November while in Panamint Valley. There was a major accident that required a life flight helo. We got no help or response from the system. I would think twice about using it in an emergency. You would be better of with a Sat phone or HF radio.
              1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn View Post
                We tried to use a SPOT last November while in Panamint Valley. There was a major accident that required a life flight helo. We got no help or response from the system. I would think twice about using it in an emergency. You would be better of with a Sat phone or HF radio.
                This is bad news. I've had a SPOT for a few years now very glad I've never had to use it yet. But I do expect the calvary to come in when and if I push that 911 button. I'd be interested in more specifics in your case. Was it that maybe the emergency teams had already been notified? I'm trying to justify the expense of SAT phone but I just can't at this time. thanx

Comment

SPOT messengers have changed a bit since this happened. The original model that was used in that Panamint Valley accident was different in a few key ways. The new model now has a confirmation light to tell you your message went thru. It also has guarded buttons to protect against accidental activation. In the accident in Panamint Valley they pushed the 911 button but the message never got thru and they were unaware. I personally think the NOAA Personal Locator Beacons are much better when it comes time to hit the 911 button. They do not have the option of broadcasting an "I'm OK" message or a "Need help" message to your friends. But they are very reliable when you hit the 911 button. Most even have both the 406MHz beacon that contacts the NOAA weather satellites with your GPS coordinates AND a 121.5MHz homing beacon that us used in nearly all air planes. Search and Rescue helicopters are equipped to follow this 121.5MHz homing signal and because it is used in aviation many private pilots monitor the 121.5MHz in flight.
                  Those left standing
                  Will make millions
                  Writing books on ways
                  It should have been
                  -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

ok, so i've seen the new models but I still have one from 2007. does this mean I must replace it? everytime i've hit "i'm ok and "need help" the signal has gone through and I see the locations on google so I presume the 911 feature goes thru as well..... truth is, i have 3 different thermometers in the back yard because i don't trust ANY of them! same with the spot, I really don't have much faith in it.

Comment

Yours will still work fine. But know that just like your GPS its transmission capabilities are hampered by trees and canyons and tall buildings.
                      Those left standing
                      Will make millions
                      Writing books on ways
                      It should have been
                      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I have been using one for about 6 months and I use it to let my family know exactly where I'm at and that I'm ok. It seems to work very good. The tracker feature is especially cool because when I get home I can see on google earth exactly where I've been and map out the trails for others to use. It loses signal time to tim but it tells me if the signal goes through or not and that usually has to do with trees or slot canyons. I would rather have it in an emergency and not work than not have it at all. If I'm in an area where there is no signal hopefully I can hike out to a clearing to transmit SOS. I never go by myself however I feel if I want get away from people for a stint I will make it home safely. Like insurance, you don't want to have to use it, but it's nice to have it when you need it.
                        You can lead a horse to water, but it might drown

Comment

Working...
                        X