This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N6MJR 2m Frequencies

Those of us who attended the Ham M & G hosted by Doug (Fishpoet) agreed that a standardized 2m frequency for MJR might not be a bad idea. Obviously no one is "required" to use them.

Here's what we came up with:

146.55 MHz - Primary
    146.58 MHz - Secondary

Our club call sign is N6MJR

BTW - Thank you Doug for hosting the meeting.
    Last edited by sarah; 07-15-10, 08:19 PM.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

I am sorry I missed the M&G. would love to have been there.
    Setting a standard frequency is a good idea, I know of a few clubs that have them, but they have 2 sets to avoid having 2 runs in the same area having trouble with each other, Plus during big events where there will be a lot of Jeeps, a standard group frequency, to coordinate the group or get emergency info out among the group. A lot of mobile rdios can monitor multiple frequencies so this is a simple plan to enact.
    censored for having an opinion

Comment

On various 4x4 runs, hikes, boy scout outings and such I have found these to be pretty quiet frequencies in SoCal.

If there were two groups, you could probably just have one on 146.550 and one on 146.580.

So, who is going to be trustee for the MJR club license? N6MJR and WA6MJR are available as vanity call signs...

Dave_W6DPS

(By the way, I can reply on this forum but not start new threads. Is that the rule?)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_W6DPS View Post
        On various 4x4 runs, hikes, boy scout outings and such I have found these to be pretty quiet frequencies in SoCal.

If there were two groups, you could probably just have one on 146.550 and one on 146.580.

So, who is going to be trustee for the MJR club license? N6MJR and WA6MJR are available as vanity call signs...

Dave_W6DPS

(By the way, I can reply on this forum but not start new threads. Is that the rule?)
        Wow! Let's do it! I'm not sure how it works but I will PM you so I don't get off topic.
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Add one more licence for your convenience if necessary KE6HEH Jim C.

Comment

Congrats
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

November Six Uniform Juliet Mike - calling Kilo Echo Six Hotel Echo Hotel - cool!
              MJR moderator
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Roger your calls sign is only five? N6UJM?
                Those left standing
                Will make millions
                Writing books on ways
                It should have been
                -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Yep! I got it towards the end of the shorter call signs. Some extra class Hams have four! I'm rather proud of my call sign. When I give it on the air I give it using the international word group and "November six yoU Just Missed" Easy to remember!
                  MJR moderator
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

All the Tech call sigs used to be "1x3's" (mine was N6KPN). You kept that call for general, then switched (if you wanted) to a "2x2" for Advanced (like mine, KG6TY)

I'll probably keep mine unless a really cool Extra call was available (a "1x2, like NR6W)
                    Jeff
                    OHV76V
                    KG6TY
                    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

I have a question about the 146.55 and 146.58 frequencies.
                      Are they used in simplex mode? and does it need a pl tone?
                      What areas work best to keep in touch with MJR members?

Brett
                      KJ6AAL
                      offroadwerkz.com
                      (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

I assume it is simplex. Otherwise Roger would have given us a PL tone. I am in Oceanside so I doubt I will catch any MJR folk on simplex from here. But I am sure this will come in handy on the trail, especially in places like calico where everyone and their brother have a CB but no one knows any kind of etiquette.
                        Those left standing
                        Will make millions
                        Writing books on ways
                        It should have been
                        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by fun4wheelerguy View Post
                          I have a question about the 146.55 and 146.58 frequencies.
                          Are they used in simplex mode? and does it need a pl tone?
                          What areas work best to keep in touch with MJR members?

Brett
                          KJ6AAL

Brett,

These are simplex frequencies. A pl tone is not needed. Generally, when hams discuss frequencies, if there's pl tone it would be mentioned. And generally pl tones are used with repeaters. Also if a repeater frequency is listed it will most likely have a + or - suffex. This indicates that "offset" frequency is either a higher frequency or a lower one. There is a standard band plan hams go by to maximize and have an orderly use of a limited number of frequencies.

There really is no easy way to keep in touch with MJR members. You would need to establish a frequency/time etc. to meet on the radio with one or more MJR hams. You also would have to take into consideration the distance between you and the other ham. Simplex would work for a few miles, a repeater for a wide area coverage (50 to 100 miles) and HF or a linked repeater system for longer distances.

On a trail run, the frequency would be established ahead of time and given to all the hams going. Just like we do with designating a CB channel. For example, on the run in November I just posted, you can see I listed both the CB channel and the Ham frequency.

This is probably more information than you asked for. sorry!

I hope this answered your question. Old Fart and some of the other Hams will probably add to this answer.

Roger - n6ujm
                          MJR moderator
                          Jeep Patrol Leader
                          Reforestation Supervisor
                          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                          Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                            I assume it is simplex. Otherwise Roger would have given us a PL tone. I am in Oceanside so I doubt I will catch any MJR folk on simplex from here. But I am sure this will come in handy on the trail, especially in places like calico where everyone and their brother have a CB but no one knows any kind of etiquette.

Scott,

TDSSD is down in the San Diego area somewhere. I would think that you find a repeater you both could reach. Also, you could probably contact a bunch of OC-LA area MJR hams through the Catalina Island repeater I would think.

Roger - n6ujm
                            MJR moderator
                            Jeep Patrol Leader
                            Reforestation Supervisor
                            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                            Eagle Scout

Comment

I have wheeled with George a few times but I have never heared him on the radio. I can reach the catalina repeater from about everyware I have been in San Diego county. Ill keep an ear out.
                              Those left standing
                              Will make millions
                              Writing books on ways
                              It should have been
                              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Working...
                              X