X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roger View Post
    Brett,

These are simplex frequencies. A pl tone is not needed. Generally, when hams discuss frequencies, if there's pl tone it would be mentioned. And generally pl tones are used with repeaters. Also if a repeater frequency is listed it will most likely have a + or - suffex. This indicates that "offset" frequency is either a higher frequency or a lower one. There is a standard band plan hams go by to maximize and have an orderly use of a limited number of frequencies.

There really is no easy way to keep in touch with MJR members. You would need to establish a frequency/time etc. to meet on the radio with one or more MJR hams. You also would have to take into consideration the distance between you and the other ham. Simplex would work for a few miles, a repeater for a wide area coverage (50 to 100 miles) and HF or a linked repeater system for longer distances.

On a trail run, the frequency would be established ahead of time and given to all the hams going. Just like we do with designating a CB channel. For example, on the run in November I just posted, you can see I listed both the CB channel and the Ham frequency.

This is probably more information than you asked for. sorry!

I hope this answered your question. Old Fart and some of the other Hams will probably add to this answer.

Roger - n6ujm
    What Roger said

Sorry to take so long to answer - been going back in at nights (removing stuff we put in in '02)

Depending on how big of an area the participants are in, you're probably going to need a repeater to all talk to each other at the same time - switching to simplex as you all get closer to the trail. There are a few repeaters that "work" from LA and OC down into San Diego.
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
      What Roger said

Sorry to take so long to answer - been going back in at nights (removing stuff we put in in '02)

Depending on how big of an area the participants are in, you're probably going to need a repeater to all talk to each other at the same time - switching to simplex as you all get closer to the trail. There are a few repeaters that "work" from LA and OC down into San Diego.
      You can download a set of repeater frequencies online that give out the tones
      http://rptrlist.w6jpl.ampr.org/2m.htm
      censored for having an opinion

Comment

Sarah,

You are just too sneaky! I just noticed you changed the name of this thread!!! Good one! (I know it was you )
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
          Sarah,

You are just too sneaky! I just noticed you changed the name of this thread!!! Good one! (I know it was you )
          Yeah ya caught me. I was trying to find a way to make the awesome new club call sign more prominent. I guess it worked!
          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

just talked to a guy on the MJR primary freq. he was down the hill. he said he was sorta near riverside "menifeild emergency responce net"? i kinda barged in by accident thinking it was you guys but must be this freq is in use down there? blows my mind i got him on simplex. not the best connection but about average for a trail run cb connection haha.
            he also said he has had other MJR people on at around this time of night (930pm) but not for awhile

edit found them:
            http://www.moreno-valley.ca.us/resid...cy/races.shtml
            there secondary simplex is close to MJRpri

thats 40 miles away as the crow flys and down the hill. i didnt think id geek out on contacts but that is incredible!
            Last edited by troyboy162; 09-19-10, 09:29 PM.
            KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Working...
            X