Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before: (My father took this picture in 1978)

After: (My father was standing next to me when I took this one)

Comment

• That is freaking awesome!
      USMC F&AM

Comment

• Originally posted by TipsE-Z View Post
        That is freaking awesome!
        Thanks, was that "too" before?

Here it is in about 1999. It sat for the prior 10 years or so and was even underwater during a flood once in 1996 to near the top of the speedo. We had a house along a river that was up on a hill but our barn was down in the flood plane. That day my father was out of town, so I had to become the "man" of the house officially. I was only 16 and had gone to school when I was called home to help by my mother. When I got home there was already 24" of water in the barn and about 36" between high ground and the barn. I decided to rescue the farm equipment (tractor and whatever implement was attached at the time) and the animals, by the time I got around to the jeep the water was already at the top of the engine. I decided to just leave it rather than risk engine damage sucking in water knowing it was only going to get deeper trying to get to the hill.

The awesome part about Jeep guys is that at least a dozen strangers stopped to offer help to rescue it, fix it or both. Most of those came with an offer to buy it as well. In the end my father and neighbor replaced all the fluids, blew the water out and got it running with ease as a surprise for me. I'm pretty sure it ran better after that than it had the past 10 years.

When I started my full rebuild in 2008 I found mud still hidden in places from that day.

Last edited by Mtndew1; 06-12-13, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• Very, very cool! Dig those 78 wheels and tires. History like that only adds character, to a cool jeep. Good stuff.
          It was like that when I got here.

Comment

• That is amazing. My first Jeep was a '79 CJ5. History in a Jeep like that is awesome and what it's all about. It for sure seems to me that Jeeps really are a family tradition in so many cases.
            USMC F&AM

Comment

• Cool history. I like what you've done with it. The fenders' gussets make the fenders flow very nicely from the grille.
              holes = cowbell

Comment

• Diggin that CJ

Comment

• Here is my 73' J4000. I am 17 and bought this truck in August last year for $400. Since then I have finished all of the body work and we are putting a 343 AMC motor in it from my dad's 67' Ambassador. It's built up a little bit. I am also getting a T18 4 speed next week to drop in it. I can't wait to get it up and running, which will hopefully be in March.

Comment

• here's mine….was down for almost two years after messing it up good!! finished in June of this year and have run the Miller Jeep trail a couple times and dyin to wheel it more
                    [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• What you roll the poor thing? Looks good now eh!

Comment

• Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                        What you roll the poor thing? Looks good now eh!
                        Ripped the t-case in half comin home thru Riverside on the 60

Comment

• OOpsie, don't hate it when that happens. Darn, front CV joints have a some what unfortunate habit of doing that. Got to keep an eye on that bad boy. When the centering ball seizes/ welds together bad things happen fast

Comment

• Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                            OOpsie, don't hate it when that happens. Darn, front CV joints have a some what unfortunate habit of doing that. Got to keep an eye on that bad boy. When the centering ball seizes/ welds together bad things happen fast
                            Yes they do... Good looking Jeep!
                            USMC F&AM

Comment

Working...
                            X