Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ7 Build Part 2 aka Stopping the Flopping

Well after the last flop I decided it was time to start the “stopping the flopping” build. I have been buying parts for this for a while and I now have enough to begin. I refuse for it to be a trailer queen so it will need to be street legal…somewhat. The plan is to get the wife to ride in the Jeep again after I’m done.

The plan:
    3 link and a panhard front.
    4 link rear.
    Stretched 7” (I hope).
    14” coilovers.
    Dana 60 front w/high steer and ARB
    Shaved 14 bolt rear w/ARB
    Flipping the transfer case to gain more driveshaft clearance next to the transmission. The 4L60E pan is offset to the passenger side.
    4:1 lo max.
    22-24” clearance at skid
    37” tires.
    5.13 gears.
    Hydro assist steering (already had the HD pump and cooler installed for a while now).
    Reinforcing the stock frame.
    Bucket seats with harness.

I have done a lot of work to this Jeep since the day I brought it home. Here are a few before shoots.
    The day I brought it home.

1 ½ years later.

Build part 2 begins.

Under the Jeep

I’ll post up later how it looked this weekend. Everything underneath is gone and it's on jack stands
    Check out .

[COLOR="Sienna"]Couple of things Chuck.

I think people have seen the underside of your Jeep more than they have seen their own.

I love your goal. Alicia will need to find another form of exercise besides hiking soon! Who will take all the pictures of your Jeep though?

Can't wait to see this build come together.

I'm still planning on snagging those D60's over the Christmas holiday, after I pick up Barb and bring her home. I have the torch ready to go.

Everybody is upgrading!! But I love the "Stoppin the Floppin" title![/COLOR]
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

If you flip the transfer case I found a place back east that sells dana 60 high pinion housings out of Ford 78-79 trucks for a reasonable price just got one.
      They can hook you up with different outers and chrome molly shafts to what ever length you require. Did some price checking and they are quite reasonable with their prices

Comment

[COLOR=sienna]I think people have seen the underside of your Jeep more than they have seen their own.[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=black]Ouch.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=sienna]Who will take all the pictures of your Jeep though?[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=black]That's what I have you guys for.[/COLOR]

Art, thanks for the offer but I already have my front axle. Plus I'm trying to keep the cost down so I will be running the stock shafts until they break. Being that I'm only going 37's they should last a while.
        Check out .

Comment

Your welcome Chuck, would be nice to have a Jeep without training wheels right?

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]I just can't wait until I have a thread like this of my very own. [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
              [COLOR=sienna]I just can't wait until I have a thread like this of my very own. [/COLOR]

You'll need a real career first that pays real money
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                You'll need a real career first that pays real money
                [COLOR="Sienna"]Well yea, when I grow up... you just wait and see. :hijack:[/COLOR]

Comment

[COLOR=black][COLOR=black]Got a killer deal on this 14 bolt. It a 1989 which has the larger pinion bearing then the older models. [/COLOR]
                  [COLOR=black][/COLOR]
                  [COLOR=black]Cleaned it up and shaved about 1" off the bottom. The 14 bolt has been regarded as a pig because of the size of the pumpkin. [/COLOR]
                  [COLOR=black][/COLOR]
                  [COLOR=black]After shaving the bottom it only hangs down 1 more inch then my AMC 20 did. Could have gone more but I didn't want to deal with welding the cast. [/COLOR]
                  [COLOR=black][/COLOR]
                  [COLOR=black]Got some Chevy 3/4 ton rotors. Look at the difference. The drums were about 35 lbs and the rotors and calipers are only 20 lbs.[/COLOR]
                  [COLOR=black][/COLOR]
                  [COLOR=black][COLOR=black]Starting to set the rear axle but have some clearance issues. Going to replace/relocate the rear crossmembers. [/COLOR]
                  I will also be modifying the tank. I need to leave the room in the back of the Jeep so I went this route versus fuel cell in the back. Need a place for the family and the camping gear.[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]
                  Check out .

Comment

That's all fine and dandy, but you still don't have parque wood floors in your garage...

Looking good Chuck. I didn't hear from my guys about the DOM yet, but I'll call them in the morning.
                    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

dang, what is this build month on MJR? can I go next!?

looks good chuck,

curious, your running a 14bolt, shaved just a little and will be running 37s? Hope it doesnt get hung up too much
                      [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Nice Chuck, thats a clean 14 bolt, cant wait to see more, it give's me inspiration to keep building mine,

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                          Looking good Chuck. I didn't hear from my guys about the DOM yet, but I'll call them in the morning.
                          I'll be out of work today around 11am so I can still pick it up. It will be fine if we get it after this weekend. I got a lot of fabricating to do and I can use PVC for the mock up.
                          Originally posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
                          curious, your running a 14bolt, shaved just a little and will be running 37s? Hope it doesnt get hung up too much
                          Thanks Miguel.
                          When all is said and done I will have 1” more clearance then my old AMC 20 which I would drag on occasion but never really got hung up. If it becomes a issue I can always shave it more.
                          Originally posted by xjkevin View Post
                          Nice Chuck, thats a clean 14 bolt, cant wait to see more, it give's me inspiration to keep building mine,
                          You better keep working. Maybe we can do our test runs together.
                          Check out .

Comment

Looks great already Chuck. Thanks for posting up your progress. Are you keeping a cost ledger?
                            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                            MJR moderator
                            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                            Jeep Patrol Leader
                            Reforestation Supervisor
                            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                            Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                              Looks great already Chuck. Thanks for posting up your progress. Are you keeping a cost ledger?
                              Heck yea. I'm keeping detail info on weight and cost. I got a 400lb scale and I'm weighing every part.
                              Check out .

Comment

Working...
                              X