Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who makes the world's brightest battery powered lantern?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who makes the world's brightest battery powered lantern?

Over the years, I've been happy with my propane lanterns. Recently, one of my lanterns has been acting up and I need to figure out how to fix it.

This got me thinking about battery powered lanterns.

I like the idea that my mantles aren't always breaking off and that I don't have to tie new ones on by flashlight and try to prep them in windy conditions.

Batteries are easier to carry in the Jeep than my 20# propane tank or a bunch of 1# cannisters (although I'd still carry something for a stove).

Until recently, I couldn't find a battery powered lantern that could come anywhere near competing with the light output of one of my 2-mantle Coleman propane lanterns. I think that this may be changing.

LED technology seems to be getting pretty good and I like that an LED is extremely durable. I've never heard about anyone breaking an LED.

I would think that a compact fluorescent bulb might be good in a lantern too and have seen a few of those advertised.

So, the bottom line for me is now the question, "Who makes the world brightest battery powered lantern?"

The "Coleman 8D Twin LED Lantern - High Performance" is the brightest one I've been able to find (580 lumens):

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...id=1045&brand=

Here is a YouTube Video Comparison including this Coleman lantern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN7jMKTZ4UE

Does anyone know of a brighter one?

Christian
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Get to a Harbor Freight, lighting aisle. LED lamps battery powered These are great.

Comment

Christian,

That looks like a good lantern, just don't put it on the top 4 setting in camp. Probably way too bright.

Mitch

Comment

That is a nice lattern... wonder how long the batterys last on the highest setting....

Comment

Originally posted by Rock_Crawler_97 View Post
          That is a nice lattern... wonder how long the batterys last on the highest setting....
          Bass Pro Shops says that it lasts 100 hours on low and 10 hours on high.

I'm thinking that most of the time I'd use it somewhere in the middle, but it's nice to have more light when you need it.

Christian
          "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

??? How does the Colmen "Northstar" stack up to what's out there? I LOVE mine....way bright!
            :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Originally posted by flatpoint View Post
              ??? How does the Colmen "Northstar" stack up to what's out there? I LOVE mine....way bright!
              From the searches I've done, it looks like the Northstar is a propane lantern and not a battery powered lantern.

I'm under the impression that propane lanterns are still brighter, but I'm interested in seeing how this Coleman 8D Twin LED Lantern - High Performance stacks up against a twin mantle propane lantern.

Christian

Comment

Originally posted by headhunter View Post
                Over the years, I've been happy with my propane lanterns. Recently, one of my lanterns has been acting up and I need to figure out how to fix it.

This got me thinking about battery powered lanterns.

I like the idea that my mantles aren't always breaking off and that I don't have to tie new ones on by flashlight and try to prep them in windy conditions.

Batteries are easier to carry in the Jeep than my 20# propane tank or a bunch of 1# cannisters (although I'd still carry something for a stove).

Until recently, I couldn't find a battery powered lantern that could come anywhere near competing with the light output of one of my 2-mantle Coleman propane lanterns. I think that this may be changing.

LED technology seems to be getting pretty good and I like that an LED is extremely durable. I've never heard about anyone breaking an LED.

I would think that a compact fluorescent bulb might be good in a lantern too and have seen a few of those advertised.

So, the bottom line for me is now the question, "Who makes the world brightest battery powered lantern?"

The "Coleman 8D Twin LED Lantern - High Performance" is the brightest one I've been able to find (580 lumens):

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...id=1045&brand=

Here is a YouTube Video Comparison including this Coleman lantern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN7jMKTZ4UE

Does anyone know of a brighter one?

Christian
                Coleman Lanterns are well-known. But I just bought http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...questid=108177 this one for my brother as he like camping very much.
                For me, as I am a girl, so I just bought cheap LED Lanterns for outdoor activities. Very similar with http://www.sourcingmap.com/green-led...p-p-41853.html this one. But expensive than this one as I bought it five months ago. My brother think his lantern is better than mine, as his is brighter than mine. I agree too.

Comment

Working...
                X