Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1972 CJ5 Project

So my Son (FlynRyan) has decided that sharing my 06 Rubicon is not fun because I will not let him beat the hell out of it so he bought himself a project yesterday.

A before picture...

This is what it he has to work with...
    Vehicle: 1972 Red CJ5 (soon to be another color)

Engine: 304 AMC V8

Induction: Stock Motorcraft 2 Barrel Carb, K&N air filter

Transmission: T18

Transfercase: Dana 20 with Tera-Low 3.13 to1 low range gears

Frontend: Dana 30 with a Lock Right Diff, 4.27 gears, Warn full floating axles

Rearend: Dana 44 with a Detroit Locker, Warn full floating axles

Suspension: Rancho 3" spring lift with a 1" shackle lift, Rancho shocks, 1" Body lift

Tires & Wheels: 33" BFG Mud Terrain TA's on 15 " black spoke wheels

Added Features: Power steering, custom cross member/trans mount for additional strength and ground clearance, Six States rear CV type drive shaft, custom built front drive shaft with heavy wall tubing and lengthened spline (and it is straight!), full roll cage, under hood air compressor, swing away spare tire & can rack, CB, line lock, locking center console

The Jeep was parked after a towing accident that bent/broke the frame. After it was repaired it was not sitting straight so a new used frame was purchased. Unfortunately the enthusiasm for this Jeep was gone and a TJ was purchased so it has been sitting for about 2 or 3 years. (last started 1 1/2 ago). This is what it looks like now...

Work has already begone on the parts we picked up yesterday...

We will pick up the spare frame and some other parts today and then the main Jeep tomorrow.

First thing that has to be done is get the new frame ready to box and strengthen. Anyone know where to get a frame sand blasted? Where to get cheap metal for the project and how to box a frame? LOL!

Wow, that's a major project! Keep us up to date on the progress. I'm sure your neighbor Erik knows the best places to buy metal down there in Lakewood.

Any idea what the towing accident was? I'm just now setting you Jeep up for towing.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

It is my understanding that the ball came off the hitch. it was pulling OK when he was at speed on the chains but when he slowed down the tow bar went under the jeep and cracked the frame.

Comment

Looks like it broke/ cracked at an old weld/repair there

Comment

Alright, you got it! Looks like you have a great base to start from, plenty of good parts.

Have fun, and if you need a hand with anything feel free to drop me a line.

Jonah

Comment

Thanks Jonah for the offer. We will probably need some hands when we take the body off the original frame. PM me your #...

Originally posted by jonah View Post
            Alright, you got it! Looks like you have a great base to start from, plenty of good parts.

Have fun, and if you need a hand with anything feel free to drop me a line.

Jonah

Comment

Cool project. Looking forward to your build.
              Check out .

Comment

The whole Jeep is home as of 01/10. Time to get very busy...

Comment

Soooo, where do I start??? Ain't it a great feeling?
                  [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                  [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                  http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Ryan had some extra days off this week because of a lack of work which SUCKS, but he did get a lot done on the Heep!

Bad u-joint - Add that to the parts list.

More to come shortly...

Comment

Ryan picked up another 304 today but this one has Howell injection, HEI distributor and is connected to a 727 auto trans that has been converted to a manual no clutch trans with a Dana 300 twin-stick transfer case. The Dana does Not however have a 4.1 kit so now the question is, does he stay with the original T-18 4spd and Dana 20 with the 3.15:1 low kit or use the whole new drive train? A no clutch manual could be nice while rock crawling....

Thoughts or suggestions?

He also got a new set of fenders to replace the rusted ones that came with the Jeep....

Comment

nice project shouldnt be that bad as far as frame stiffenersgo though i dont know how far u would like to go into this project. there if a shop in montclair that does framrails. they custom bend the 4x6 to get the same frame dimensions we used to do this for our rat rod projects. maybe u can beef up the frame rails and then build your own cross members and kickers to it. i woulnt even try to salvage the one u have at all. there is another guy on here that built his own het has a thread here on fab /customs mods i believe it is titled "cjb3 thats what the tag says." look it over maybe the way he is doing his might help u out or give u an idea. also cheap metal RAMCAST in pomona i used to buy my tubing there. the had better prices than anyone else.

Comment

The automatic and the dana 300 as is, should be more than adequate for crawling with a v8 in front of it

Comment

Originally posted by bails85 View Post
                            nice project shouldnt be that bad as far as frame stiffenersgo though i dont know how far u would like to go into this project. there if a shop in montclair that does framrails. they custom bend the 4x6 to get the same frame dimensions we used to do this for our rat rod projects. maybe u can beef up the frame rails and then build your own cross members and kickers to it. i woulnt even try to salvage the one u have at all. there is another guy on here that built his own het has a thread here on fab /customs mods i believe it is titled "cjb3 thats what the tag says." look it over maybe the way he is doing his might help u out or give u an idea. also cheap metal RAMCAST in pomona i used to buy my tubing there. the had better prices than anyone else.
                            We have a spare frame that my son is planning to box in already being worked on in the backyard. Just need to find a cheap metal company to get what we need. We will check out the Ramcast you spoke of and see what we can find. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                              The automatic and the dana 300 as is, should be more than adequate for crawling with a v8 in front of it
                              Why would the Auto/Man and dana 300 be better then the T18 and Dana 20 with the 3.15?

Comment

Working...
                              X