Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Rodman Mtns Loop 20100403

Not surprisingly the weather was fantastic for a run out to see the petroglyphs. Shane/Amber/Max, Chris, J.D. And I traveled 60 miles today and covered some not so smooth routes out there lol. The route we took out past Bessimer mine was horrible. Its about the one time in my life I was glad to have IFS. In hind sight the power lines road would have been much better, or just give in to taking camp rock road out and back without a proper “loop” run

The WW2 bomb target was really neat! Its not even that far off the road and there is tons of bomb debris there. Its amazing that the pavement is still in pretty good shape in spots. Right after that we got to do a different kind of bombing of our own across Soggy dry lake. Dry lakes are fun!

I wish I knew the petroglph area better but we did get to see a lot of stuff there. Some day I'd like to see Howe Tank but for now I don't know where that is.

The views from the radio towers on Rodman Mtn were great. Pictures don't do it justice. There was a little haze in the air so line of sight wasn't as far as I was hoping but it was not a disappointment.

We made such good time jumping through the whoops lol that we were able to do a side mission to copper strand mine and see the little cabin that everyone visits. The mine there has some wonderful fools gold and turquoise. And no its not real gold...Chris checked lol.

Overall great day wheeling! Thanks to all for coming out!

KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Troy,

Your run is similar to the overnighter coming up on the 17th. We won't be going to the exact same places, a few, and others.

Great photos. The view from Rodman is fantastic. When the Marines are training, you can see them from up there.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

Troy,

Nice pictures and tour thru the area. Other than the Rodman Mountain towers part I've done that area a bunch. Very cool. Now I have to cruise to the top of Rodman Mountain. Thanks for the post and for running more people to our awesome local areas.

Mitch great88

Comment

The Copper Strand mine we visited was a Copper and Silver mine.

http://www.mindat.org/loc-88357.html

I'm trying to figure out a way to easily smash up that rock I brought home.

Comment

Very cool I wish I would of been able to make this run. Great pics!

Comment

Rodger: your run coming up is going to be great one! remeber to take lots of pics so i can read about it.

Mitch: maybe someday ill make it to tour guide status like you guys but for now i just really wanted to see the petroglyphs. i want to uncover Howe Tank but that one is a well kept secret of the Rodmans.

Chris: wish that was real gold in there lol but it sure was neat to look at

Comment

Troy,

Truely good stuff. Let me know when you want to check out the rest of the fun spots.

Mitch

Comment

Great photos! Thanks.

Comment

Exploring the desert, looks like something the warden and i would enjoy, maybe next time
                  Rich.
                  But can we SURVIVE 2 more years?

Comment

Troy

Thanks for taking the lead on this one. Amber and I had a good time....Max came home wend right to his bed and didnt move I really enjoyed seeing some of the mines we went to wish we had time to see more.

Chris

Good to meet you as well, I know a way you can smash that rock, Just put it in front of your jeep like the one at the lava rock...LOL

Great time guys hope to get out again soon!

WYRD

Comment

man i dont think we made it to the main tunnels at copper strand!

looking back over google earth i found this was where the push pin was. that must have been around the corner and out of site when we drove up there.

Comment

Troy,

Did you also go into the large mine at the Copper Strand complex? There is a trail that heads south and then uphill from the rock cabin to the west that is really easy. The trail that heads west and then south has some tippy off-camber washouts and is a little hairy. The tunnel goes in 300 - 400 feet.

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                          Troy,

Did you also go into the large mine at the Copper Strand complex? There is a trail that heads south and then uphill from the rock cabin to the west that is really easy. The trail that heads west and then south has some tippy off-camber washouts and is a little hairy. The tunnel goes in 300 - 400 feet.
                          i dont think we made it into the main tunnels. we were at the first tunnel visible uphill and directly above the tanks from line of sight at the cabin. thats a bummer but im sure ill make it there again since that cabin is so neat

Comment

I hiked up to that one, but just south and a little further ahead is the main tunnel. It is so awesome that every turn there is something else.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                              I hiked up to that one, but just south and a little further ahead is the main tunnel. It is so awesome that every turn there is something else.

Mitch
                              You'll have to show us this mine sometime.

Comment

Working...
                              X