Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin Nuvi 500 owners!

Looking to buy a GPS unit for the heep. I have heard great things about the 60CSX but I was hoping for a bigger screen. How does the Nuvi 500 compare to the 60CSX? Does it have the same off road prowess with a bigger screen or should I stick with the tried & true 60CSX?
    My Jeep cost's me more than my wife...

I have a 60CS and 500 and the 60 defiantly has more features and abilities. I do however really like the 500 and is a great unit for off-road travel. The only real issue I have had is transferring routes to it. You can transfer tracks no problem.
    Check out .

Comment

I thought the 500 would record tracks and allow upload (to Mapsource on a PC); but would not accept downloaded tracks.

Edit - FYI - The replacement for the 60CSX has been announced. http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/20...handheld-.html
      Last edited by CVD; 06-02-10, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CVD View Post
        I thought the 500 would record tracks and allow upload (to Mapsource on a PC); but would not accept downloaded tracks.
        It's actually quite easy to download tracks in to the 500. Just cut and paste.
        Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by CVD View Post

Edit - FYI - The replacement for the 60CSX has been announced. http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/20...handheld-.html
          It looks like the new 62st will have a 2.6" display. That's considerably larger than the 1.5" display on the 60CSx.

I look foward to seeing this new unit when it's authorized for sale by the FCC.

Christian
          "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Originally posted by headhunter View Post
            It looks like the new 62st will have a 2.6" display. That's considerably larger than the 1.5" display on the 60CSx.

Christian
            The 2.6" is diagonal. The 62st is 1.6"x2.2" & the 60CSx is 1.5"x2.2". Not much difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Heep View Post
              The 2.6" is diagonal. The 62st is 1.6"x2.2" & the 60CSx is 1.5"x2.2". Not much difference.
              Thanks for pointing that out. That's not enough to make a difference in screen size, but some of the other stuff looks nice.

The new one looks like it's going for about $550, so I'll be sticking with my 60CSx for a while.

Christian
              "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

The nuvi 500 is the first GPS unit that I have owned, so I can't compare to the 60CSx. I can say that I have been very happy with my choice so far. The main frustartion that I have had was that it is not in the manual or very intuitive as to how to upload routes from your PC to the unit.

I've figured it out for routes finally. Downloading all data from the unit to MapSource is a breeze. Using it on the trail or on the road is equally as easy. Just my :2:
                [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                [/COLOR]

Comment

I bought a 60CSx instead. Just need topo's for it now.

Comment

Originally posted by headhunter View Post

Christian
                    Well Christian..I don't know who to believe more,you or the Garmin website, here's what Garmin post for Display size Display size, WxH: 1.6" x 2.2" (4.1 x 5.6 cm); 2.6" diag (6.6 cm).

I've owned a Garmin 60CSX for over 4yrs now and have dropped several times on concreate rocks water and it just don't break,but I could never see paying the price for topo maps addons so I just bought a nuvi500 for that reason and it talks to you when you drive, were as the hand helds DON'T! it just beeps,softly(no volume control), and if the window is down you aint going to hear it for the next turn. and even without topos regular maps still shows all marked dirt trails such as 3N93.
                    But for the price of updating maps and buying topo add ons I found the nuvi500 my best buy for me and like it so far! it takes me there,plays there,and get me home without having to think to much about my next turn.
                    And I would pay the NEW price for the 62's either,wait a year at least.
                    Good luck with your choice!

Comment

Working...
                    X