Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: New Remote Campsites

I have been working with a local BLM project in the Sawtooth Canyon Campground Site lately. The BLM has sponsored a campground improvement project that is including 16 12' x 12' concrete pads with sunshade covers and also a 30' x 60' group site pad. This was a nice chance to meet up with local BLM reps and get those "get out of jail free" business cards. Sawtooth Campground is 18 miles north of Lucerne off Hwy 247. The remote campground is 1.2 miles west of Hwy 247 at the kiosk at BLM OM6440. This is a nice quiet remote area to use ase a base camp for local Ord Mountain/Stoddard Wells runs. There are a couple of clean pit toilet sites as well as a new one one to be installed soon. Also in this spot is an area named "New Jack City" by the Free Climbing local rock climbers. this is a neat location worth checking out if in the area.

On a side note, I don't know the local hunting laws but I did see a small group of 50 Chucker at 6:50am this morning. I had a BBQ party on my mind after that.

Mitch

75' at 5:15am Awesome desert weather!

Pouring the new camping pads

Chucker town!

Video After I stopped driving straight into the sun I was able to focus better. Turn up the volume after the Jeep stops. Great Chuckling!!!!

Last edited by Mitch; 08-19-10, 08:08 PM.

Thanks for the scouting report. Season starts in about two months.

Comment

Wow! That's great Mitch! A bit of history of that site. The USMC Base in Barstow used to maintain a capground there years ago. It is a superb natural campground. I hope idots don't trash it.

Do you know if there will be a charge to use it?

If IDTT was ever moved, this location would be ideal. Not pushing for it but just mentioning it.
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Mmmmmmm......roasted Chucker.
        Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

That's cool. I really like that area. By the way that doesn't count for AAT hours.
          Check out .

Comment

Chuck knows where this Campground is. I remember it well. His old Jeep flops.

Comment

I was back out again at Sawtooth. There will not be a fee when this campground is complete. The BLM is also installing concrete fire rings at each site to make it a little more orginized.

And yes the 50+ Chuckar were right on time at 6:30am.

Mr Chuckar

Comment

Hey that is super cool. Glad to see our tax dollars being put to a good use. I just hope John Q Public respects the new camping area.

Comment

I will make regular visits. Met a couple of cool BLM guys and started a nice bond. I will make this a personal thing. Camera ready for the offenders.

"I feel better, I feel better now, I feel better than James Brown, how do you feel?" Was Not Was

Comment

This is super cool
                    [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Did they evict the "permanent" campers from the canyon? We have been going up there since about 1979 but it seems like a few people have been there every trip for the past several years.

Comment

Never saw any regulars, and will be checking tomorrow in the morning. Checking on the Contractor who is camping for the weekend.

Comment

How accesible is this area with a 24' Class C motorhome?

Comment

Wide smooth dirt road. Easy access 1 mile west off Hwy 247.

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                              Wide smooth dirt road. Easy access 1 mile west off Hwy 247.
                              Where do you hit the dirt road off the 247? Coords would be great if available. Thanks !!!
                              Kurt T.
                              94 ZJ, 4X4, 5.2, 31's, open diff's.

Comment

Working...
                              X