Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Singletracker View Post
    What specifically don't don't you like about it?
    City:
    does fine

Freeway:
    No balls- have to floor it to get on, and then cruise behind the trucks. If youre going up a hill/pass you will be again chilling behind the trucks.

Trail:
    Not too bad but to go up even a small hill you will need to go to 4 low.
    95 YJ
    2.5L Low Output, 4.5" RE, 35" KM2's, D30 Aussie, 8.8, TeraLow 4:1, Outdoor Logic custom fab - Cage, Tube fenders, Sliders, and more.

Comment

That goes with what other friends have told me. Because of budget I'm looking at years from '90 -96'. I'm guessing this applies to those years as well.

Comment

When I was looking for a Jeep I wanted a CJ. But decided that the fuel injection and the better axles were worth dealing with the goofy dash and the square headlights of a YJ. And I got a 4.0L because it was going to be my daily driver on the freeway and I wanted to have the option of loading it up with a hard top and some heavy skid plates and such without suffering on the freeway.
        Last edited by OU812; 09-08-10, 04:08 PM.
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Would it be safe to assume that with the 4.0 L I could tow a small trailer with a couple of dirt bikes - 800 lbs?

Comment

You will be fine towing a 800lb trailer. I always thought if you want to have a hard top, or drive on the freeway, or tow a trailer, the 4.0 is the way to go. And if that's not enough... check out www.jeepstrokers.com
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Choose the 4.0

My 93 YJ has the 4.0 with 195,000 miles on it. It does not burn oil and I can still lug it over rocks and it just keeps running. Runs great on the freeway and still gets 19-21 miles per gallon which is the same mileage as when it was a new motor!
              Last edited by DirtBall89; 09-08-10, 10:48 PM. Reason: Corrected typo
              Never the last trail!:cactus:

Comment

4.0 is the way to go. But if its not your daily driver and you will spend most of your time on the trail and and infront of a trailer. Here is a 95 4cyl for $2200. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/1954715628.html
                looks like a steal.
                Those left standing
                Will make millions
                Writing books on ways
                It should have been
                -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Anyone want to give me an opinion on a '78 CJ7 with a straight six, 4.2L? I've been told these are one of the most inexpensive Jeeps to rebuild or maintain.

Comment

I love the CJ7s. I think if I were to start over I would build a CJ. 78 is a good year for CJs. I think that was the first year they had Disc brakes in the front. The 4.2 has grate low end torque and the carter carb that is on it is pretty easy to work on. If you don't like carbs buy a YJ. Its the same as a CJ except for some ugly headlights and an ugly dash but it has fuel injection.
                    Those left standing
                    Will make millions
                    Writing books on ways
                    It should have been
                    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Thanks. This one says it has a newer Weber carb on it. I'm a complete newb on all of this, so all opinions are welcome. It also has a 5 speed manual tranny.
                      Last edited by Singletracker; 09-20-10, 02:58 PM. Reason: additional info.

Comment

The YJ has a stronger frame, but depending on your use it could be just what you need. I believe the CJ-7 used the T-5 for the 5 speed. The 4.2/258 has plenty of torque, but the late 70's were where AMC started going to tall gears. However, you have options galore to upgrade anything from axles, shafts, gears, transmission, and engine. As long as you get it for the right price, get what you want and build it into what you need.
                        God forgives, rocks don't
                        -sons of thunder

Comment

138K miles on original engine. No oil leaks. Some dings on the body. $4,600 asking price. Are you sure they had a 5 speed on the 78's? Thanks for all the help.

Comment

I knew a Captain in the Marines who had a '79 with a 5 speed. It was pretty much cutting edge for the day. My in-laws also had a '52 flatty with '79 running gear (304 instead of 258) and it had the 5 speed too. It was geared with 4.10's and had 32's. It was F.A.S.T.
                            -sons of thunder

Comment

I just checked the Jeep 4x4 Performance Handbook. Looks like Alzheimer's has set in. It shows 5 speeds starting in '82. T-5'82-'86, BA10 was '87-'89, AX-5 '87-'99, AX-15 '89-'90 (I know for certain that is wrong), NV3550 '00-'04 (pretty sure later too)
                              -sons of thunder

Comment

I just came across an '85 Laredo that looks in excellent condition and stock. one year old tires, but look stock size. It has only 70K miles and asking is $5,000.

Besides the obvious difference in mileage, is there anything about the '85 that would make me not buy it?

Comment

Working...
                                X