Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.5L vs 4.0L questions?

First off this isn't a troll and I have searched for this sort of thread.

My history: I'm looking to buy a used Jeep. It's main purpose is an around town vehicle that can easily be used by my wife in the snow. Our house is on a hill and our driveway is a half mile long. I want her to be able to deal with the driveway if I'm not around to plow it. We will likely use it on logging roads in the summer, but for anything more ambitious - we have dirt bikes.

Back to the original question:
    Some of my avid Jeep friends tell me I need the 4. L and I won't be happy without the power. Others tell me the 2.5L will work just fine getting up the hill and driveway. Since it's for around town and might only be used to drive an hour on the freeway - we don't need the larger engine.

What do you think? All opinions are welcome.

Go for the 2.4L 4 cyl in a 2003-2006 TJ. The 2.5 is okay, but the 2.4 has better power.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Comment

dude if youre gonna spend the money u might as well buy the power too. 4l.

Comment

It all depends on what platform he wants. The torque curve of the 2.4 is near the 4.0. Plus, if he goes with the 2005, the NSG-370 becomes an option with the 4.46 1st gear. If I'm not mistaken, the standard gearset for the later TJ's is 3.73's. Combine those numbers and you have a very capable vehicle off the shelf. If it's an XJ, unquestionably go with the 4.0. Great choice in Oregon. Plus the longer wheelbase and 8.25 rearend (make sure to avoid the Dana 35 if possible) will add to stability on ice and the sloppy PNW clay/quicksand goo. If it's a YJ, that's really a toss-up. Definitely 92 or later. The 91 YJ had either a problematic Renix injected 2.5 or the problematic carbureted 4.2 (258). The 4.0 Manual had 3.07's. With stock tires, up to 31's they do okay. The automatics, again, if I'm not mistaken had 3.55's. This would work well with 31's. The 2.5 manual had 4.10's. While this sounds good, my experience with it was that with the 5 speed and 31's it had to be in low range to climb anything. The 92 and later 4.0 can make much better power with a few simple and FREE mods. For example, a hill climb that I used to have to use low range to climb with 31's, I was able to take on 33's in 2 hi - still running 3.07's. It's a lot of information with a lot of variables. How much you want to do to it mechanically will determine a lot of which way you go. You have definitely asked the right people. There are a lot of great people here who would be glad to help with their experience to make an informed decision. Best of luck.
        -sons of thunder

Comment

I would buy a 6 cyl. I have had a YJ with a 4 banger and I now own a TJ with a 6 Cyl. My buddy is looking to buy a Jeep and I advised him to go with a 6 Cyl. However based on what you want the Jeep for I would say either would do. Don't expect your wife to get any speeding tickets on the freeway if you buy a 4 Cyl. If you just want the Jeep to make it up the driveway and tooling around the property, a 4 Cyl will work fine any Jeep is very capable, I think any Jeep is probably the best 4X4 anyone could own. There isn't too many things that stop them. Like my father says they will climb a tree if they have the traction. If you go with a 4 Cyl and you increase the tire size much you may wanna consider regearing.

Chuck
          I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

I too, previously owned a 4cyl YJ and now own a 6cyl TJ. Off hand I always recommend a 6cyl whenever asked. However, If your not planning on modifying the jeep, then a 4 popper will work fine. You'll probably get better gas milage too. If you plan an ever getting bigger tires then go with the 6cyl. Even if you regear for the bigger tires, the torque is just not there with the 4 cyl. 5th gear will rarely be used, and you will have to downshift on any sort of incline.

Good Luck Joe
            It was like that when I got here.

Comment

I have always been an advocate for options. Having a 4 banger ( to me) would limit options. You say you don't plan on doing anything to the jeep and you just want it to get around. Well, I've never met a single jeep owner who could do that. Get the 6 and be done. If you never mod it then you have a strong engine that won't be strained and will last longer than you will. To me if you got the 4 you may strain it more and its life may be shortened a little more. How less who knows. Plus the 6 will have more resale value should you ever sell it. Food for thought. Never having owned a 4 cyl I can't compare.
              1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

2.5 will get worse mileage. An overworked mill has to use more fuel to compensate for the lack of size. Again, don't count out the 2.4 if the 2005-2006 is in the budget.
                -sons of thunder

Comment

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the help. We are probably looking for a pre 2000 model just to keep the cost down. We already have a minivan for the wife and kids, a high MPG commuter car and an F350. I just want my wife to have 4x4 for the winter. Speed? I have a powerstroke in the F350. It goes 0-60 in a day and a half. :haha:

Comment

Pre-2000, TJ will give the best ride and options. YJ will be cheaper. 4.0 is the way to go in these years. If you do go YJ, the 95 is the most maintenance friendly in the clutch department as well as having the bigger front axle u-joints.
                    -sons of thunder

Comment

If you want pre-2000, I would concentrate solely on '97 to '99 which means the Wrangler TJ. And I would choose a '97 over '98-99 because the '97 has a few features that aren't present in the '98 or '99. Like the ability to display the engine computer's diagnostic codes with nothing more than the ignition switch. That ability was temporarily missing in the 98-00 model years.
                      The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Bottom line....

...there is no replacement for displacement....
                        John & Kristi

Comment

2.5L bad on hwy.

I currently have a 2000 TJ 4.0, 37" tires and 4.88 ratio, 2006 TJ 2.4, 32" tires and 3.55 ratio, and a 2008 KK 3.7, 32" tires and 3.73 ratio. In the past I had a 1991 YJ 2.5, and a 1981 CJ7 4.2. The 2006 2.4 is very supprising. It really makes a nice package with the 6 speed trans. It doesnt have the low end torque of the 4.0, but it has a much broader range with the horsepower. I have taken it on many trips with a trailer (1500lbs)and 3 people. It flys up the grades on the fwy much better than my 2000 with the 4.0. The 2.4 gets about 27mpg on the fwy if you keep it down to 65. The YJ had the 2.5 (rebuilt), 33" tires, 4.11 ratio, and it was a dog on the hwy. You had to keep the throttle to the floor most of the time to maintain 65, bad gas mileage,and you never got into 5th. Yes it did fine on the trail, but was terrible on the road. There is a huge difference between that 2.5 and the 2.4. I would recommend the 4.0 for older TJ's, and the 2.4 if you can afford a 2005 to 2006. The 3.7 in the 2008 Liberty puts out alot more HP, and gets 26mpg on the hwy at 75.Very happy with it also.

Comment

As a 2.5 owner i cannot recommend you get one. Even with small tires, you will be very disappointed. Only reason i got mine is because it was too cheep to pass up. Been waiting for 4 years now for either the motor or tranny to take a dump so i can upgrade to a 4.0.
                            95 YJ
                            2.5L Low Output, 4.5" RE, 35" KM2's, D30 Aussie, 8.8, TeraLow 4:1, Outdoor Logic custom fab - Cage, Tube fenders, Sliders, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by sebastian22 View Post
                              As a 2.5 owner i cannot recommend you get one. Even with small tires, you will be very disappointed. Only reason i got mine is because it was too cheep to pass up. Been waiting for 4 years now for either the motor or tranny to take a dump so i can upgrade to a 4.0.
                              What specifically don't don't you like about it?

Comment

Working...
                              X