Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IDTT 2011 (and it was NOT an organized event)

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organized Event: IDTT 2011 (and it was NOT an organized event)

Alrighty... Since noone else has started a report thread, I thought I would get one going...

Carmen and I had a great time! We camped alongside Chuck and Alicia, Ryan and Kathy, Mike and Sharon, and Trent! We had a great time with the "dark side" at the end of the campsite.

Arriving on Friday was fun... traffic was relatively light and thankfully it was daylight quite late in the day.

[CENTER][/CENTER]
    Saturday morning included a fun breakfast at Peggy Sue's...

[CENTER]

[/CENTER]

After breakfast... our little crew headed over to the Gatekeeper for a fun and challenging day...

Mike (Mr. Green) set the tone early! He made it look easy!

[CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Sharon's Mom had a great time on the trail!

[CENTER][/CENTER]

Trent then took to the trail...

[CENTER][/CENTER]

Unfortunately, Trent snapped an axle in one of the Rockwell axles and had to bail out of the trail...

Chuck (Dirtman13) was next to work the Gatekeeper... The Gatekeeper is all about "the line"...

[CENTER][/CENTER]

Chuck decided to take a little break against one of the rocks on his way up...

[CENTER][/CENTER]

A broken u-joint repair...

[CENTER][/CENTER]

Then back to do it again...

[CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Carmen made a new friend while we were all playing around at The Gatekeeper...

[CENTER][/CENTER]

After the Gatekeeper... We planned to run up Doran, but someone coming down blew a bead and had the trail blocked... So, we ran through Odessa...

[CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Then, after a long and tiring day... some of us got to take a nap...

[CENTER][/CENTER]

A great big "THANKS" to everyone who helped contribute to the fun of this weekend!
    Regards,
    Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Way to go Mike. I love it when a stock wheelbase goes up the obstacle first time and makes it look easy. :thumbs_up
    Last edited by curtis; 04-04-11, 05:14 PM.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

great pics sorry i missed it

Comment

Cooooooooool!

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

I had a busy week at the shop. I ended up working Friday morning for a couple of hours. I left Norco at 1pm and was in camp by 3pm.

Michael, Jaime, Roger, LeAnne, John, Dennis and myself did a Friday late afternoon run on Phillips Loop and Kramer Arch.

The Moab crew arrived around dusk and set up camp. I sat around the "Dark Side" campfire until 10pm and called it a day.

Saturday was spent with Mat, Tiffany & Carleigh at the Black Mountain Rock Art District and Rainbow Basin. Trip Report

It was Carleigh's first ever trail run and we wanted to make sure she had fun.

Some wildflowers along the way

I was back at camp at 3pm and met the "Dark Side" crew at Odessa.

Dinner was at Peggy Sue's with the "Dark Side" crew. I sat around the "Dark Side" campfire until 10pm and called it a day.

Sunday Christian led a run to Bismark Mine. Along were Tom, Kassidy, John, Dennis and myself.

All my Sunday Bismark photos can be seen at: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=1ed9d639b7

I left Calico at 11am and I was home by 1pm.

Another fabulous weekend in the desert.
          Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

I had a great trip and a fun time hanging with the folks from MJR. I have met a couple at various events(Jeep Patrol and TDS) and has been a pleasure. As mentioned earlier I ran Phillips Loop and Kramer ARch Friday night with Doug, Roger and others. Saturday morning after breakfast I ran the stocker run with Christian leading, Me Jaime and Princess(black Lab) in my truck and then Jimmy and Leslie in Jimmy's new to him 4 Runner. Had a great time exploring the first mine, but Princess decided it wasnt for her. In fact she was so pissed at Jaime and I that she wouldnt even drink water we offered her for another 30 minutes. We then ran Tin Can alley and ended up at Bismark mine(see Dougs pics) decided that Jaime and Princess would explore the topside while the rest of the crew went into the mine. We then proceeded to a few other areas with great views.

Christian was a knowledgeable guide and being my first time at Calico was glad to have the added Mine tours thrown in with the fun wheeling. Ended up leaving Saturday after the trail run for family commitements in San Diego. Sad thing is that we were to pooped from hiking/ exploring that we never made the drive. Only regret is I didnt stay for Sunday and get another morning/ day of wheeling.

See you on the trail soon.

Comment

IDTT Rocked!

Saturday was a great day in the Calico Mtns:

Four groups headed out to play. Christian, Roger, and Doug led three of them and somehow I found myself leading the one headed to the Gatekeeper.

Still not sure how I suckered into this...

Zack was the first of the MJR crew to tackle the Gatekeeper. His rock buggy made easy work of the infamous stretch of 'road':

Trent's 'mildly-modified' Willys tried next and unfortunately snapped an axle:

I had serious butterflies in my stomach when it came to be my turn. But with the excellent spotting of Kurt, and assisted by Chuck's watchful eye, I had a great first attempt at the Gatekeeper:

The upper part of this obstacle is the most difficult that I have ever seen it. It is almost like having an Lower Gatekeeper and an Upper Gatekeeper:

I have a video in the works that my wife shot. I'll post it soon.

Chuck came up after me:

Unfortunately, he popped a U-joint and had to winch himself up the upper part of the trail. Thanks again Zack for being the winch point!

While Chuck repaired the U-joint, Bob (CalTrans on MJR) came up after his friend Richard. He was doing well for the first half:

But got caught by the undercut of the rock and decided to winch instead of taking a chance of breaking anything:

Once Chuck got his U-joint repaired, he tackled the Gatekeeper again. He had some tough moments:

Sharon rode with him and enjoyed the ride:

Like Randy posted, we ran up Odessa and down Duran afterward. Here's a couple of pics from the run:

It was a really nice day in Calico. If you missed it, you REALLY missed out.

So who is this 'Dark Side'?
              :gun::devil::devil::devil::gun:
              [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
              Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
              [/COLOR]

Comment

YouTube actually cooperated with me sooner than I expected. Here is the video that I promised:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_4rfnp4TaI

I made it in about 11 minutes. Not as fast as Kurt's 4 minutes and 7 seconds for his first attempt, but under the current conditions, I feel like a KOH winner!!
                Last edited by Mike; 04-04-11, 11:07 PM.
                [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                [/COLOR]

Comment

"Unfortunately, he popped a U-joint and had to winch himself up the upper part of the trail. Thanks again Zack for being the winch point!"

if you listen you can hear the snap of the U-Joint .
                  Last edited by Moy; 04-04-11, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Comment

Excellent videos. Sharon has the perfect commentator voice. Looks like a great workout for Mr Green!

Comment

I am so bummed that I missed this one. Looks like a great time! Mr. Green was definitely working it!

Comment

Phew! Been a busy couple of days. AWESOME Pics! I lost my card reader!

Thanks to everyone for making the trip despite the gas prices and other economic craziness... Rick and I took my jeep (yeah, I know!!) on Roger's Rodman Mtn. run and we had a leisurely day exploring! It was great to get out of the house and see everyone's faces and DRINK TO THAT! Woo!!
                          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Great videos and pictures guys. No video of kurt and his 4 min. run?
                            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                              Great videos and pictures guys. No video of kurt and his 4 min. run?
                              Curtis,
                              that happened a few years ago. I was still on the RE 4.5 SA and 35s at the time and GateKeeper was tame compared to last weekend. Here is a link to the YouTube vid:
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJN1YljWa_o

I've been up another 3 times and the second was not as much fun. Had to get a spotter strap on to keep from flopping. The last two were good runs but not as fast. The keeper is getting meaner every year. But Mike made it look easy.
                              Actually I'm glad I didn't run GK. Both on my new RCV front CV axles failed in Moab. I knew the passenger side was crap as it locked up on Fins & Things and scared the poo outta me, but I had no idea the driver side was bad until a few minutes ago when I pulled the axles out to replace them. Not good... But RCV sent me a new set of axles to the hotel in Moab over night. I just couldn't change them out there. Long story. Kinda like this one...
                              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X