Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a Garmin 1450LMT the other day

I like the 5" screen and it's easy to use. It does not come with the Topo Map but I can load it in there. After I save up the $$ to buy it! It shows all the numbered trails in the SBNF and the major trails in the Mojave. So it will due until I can get the topo map.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Roger does this model also work on the street?
    Head nut at Outdoorlogic
    Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
    www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyrig View Post
      Roger does this model also work on the street?
      Yes it does. It also shows the numbered trails in the SBNF. It's not a topo map though. I'll be purchasing the topo map as soon as I save up the funds.
      MJR moderator
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Hows that gps working out after a month and did you try the topo maps for it yet?
        Im looking to buy a 1450 also.
        Come to the dark side.....
        We have Cookies!

Comment

It's very easy to use. I have not purchased the topo map yet. Boy do I want to though! I dragged and dropped some way points into it with no problem.
          MJR moderator
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

I had been thinking about one of these and after reading this thread I went ahead and ordered one. I will be ordering the Topo maps also. I think I'm really going to like the 5" screen. Been using a hand held Magellan for years and that thing had a tiny screen. One question for you Roger, will it leave a "bread crumb" trail?
            Thanks,
            Dave
            84 CJ7, SOA,258 Howell TBI, T5, Dana 300/4:1,4.10s Dana 30 and ARB front, AMC20 Superior axles and ARB rear,35" MTR's

Comment

I'm not sure of that term. Hopefully Zoobi will jump in and answere this. He really has mastered this GPS. I do love the 5" screen and I do not have the topo map yet.
              MJR moderator
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Well I've been playing with this thing for a couple days now. Love the 5" screen. Haven't had a chance to take it offroad yet but looks like it will work just fine. The "breadcrumb trail" I was asking about is what garmin calls a trip log. Just a track of where you've been that you can follow back to where you started. Handy to use in an open area without set routes. Now I just need to get that Topo map.
                84 CJ7, SOA,258 Howell TBI, T5, Dana 300/4:1,4.10s Dana 30 and ARB front, AMC20 Superior axles and ARB rear,35" MTR's

Comment

Don't believe the larger gps leave a trail but do have a trail log as was stated. What you can always do is make your entry point home, or a saved point, then when you are done, hit home or enter the POI (Point of Interest) and you should be back to where you want to be. The only Garmins I am aware that leave actual bread crumbs are the hand-held units that are for hiking and geo-caching. We have a 3750LMT for city/street driving and an Oregon 450 for geo-caching and hiking away from the Jeep and off roading, comes loaded with topo and you have to buy the city navigator even though there appears to be maps loaded on them. My 3750 doesn't track well off road and when you get into canyons or heavy canopy situations, loses the signal, the oregon, tracked through 400' and more canyons of death valley.

Comment

Working...
                  X