Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Swansea-Cerro Gordo Road

On Memorial Day, my wife and I were headed back to Rancho Cucamonga from Bishop, CA. We started very early and headed to the basically non-existing town of Swansea. Swansea is the start of the Swansea - Cerro Gordo Road that climbs up to the Burgess Mine and then follows the crest of the Inyo Mountains for a bit before dropping down to the Ghost Town of Cerro Gordo.

The turn off to the trail is not marked well. The only sign is far off of the main road and is starting to be overgrown:

The road climbs quickly and constantly for the first 12 miles. The views are wonderful. In the first 3 miles, you will find Tram Structures above you:

After this you will get to a mildly rough area that willl be easier if you shift into 4WD:

At the top of the rough area is a short steep climb that leads to a great photo opportunity:

But if you are more interested in 4WD challenges, take the right-hand trail at the base of the climb. It is a small waterfall, but is the most technical obstacle that you will find heading in this direction on the road.

As you crest the hill, you see the view of the road ahead of you:

There are many views down into the Owens Valley from this part of the trail. This is only one:

At about 4 miles into the trail, you will reach a steep climb that will take you to the most dangerous part of the road:

Unfortunately, I didn't take any shots of this spot, but it is a mildly technical rock-crawling section that is on a VERY narrow section of the trail. A mistake here would end up with a roll-over that would drop you at least 1000 feet. Next time, I will make sure that I get some pics.

At the top, there continue to be excellent views of the Owens Valley:

The road ceases it's steady climb for a bit and, after wandering over various terrains, heads for a forest of Pinon Pines:

The trees in this section are close and touch the sides of our Jeep often. Eventually, we start climbing a rough, steep hill that winds up through the forest. Once the crest is reached, the trees disappear and the great views return:

We followed the road to it's upper reaches near the base of New York Butte:

This point is just below 9900 feet above sea level. From there, we back-tracked to the Burgess Mine:

There are great views in almost every direction from the mine. The Saline Valley (part of Death Valley NP):

Owens Dry Lake:

The road ahead:

The road ahead followed the crest of the Inyo Mtns. The Saline Valley on the east and the Owens valley on the west until we approached the Traverse Station of the Salt Tramway:

This tramway used to start in the bottom of the Saline Valley and was used to transport some of the purest salt over the mountains to be sent to be processed.

To be continued...
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Part 2

The Salt Tramway was a wonder of construction in it's day. The tram took pure, raw salt from the Saline Lake up and over the Inyo mountains and down to Owens Lake. From there, it was transported to be processed.

At the crest of the mountains, a traverse station was created and a house was built to house the caretaker:

This is a great spot to spend a little time:

After this, the road follows the crest for several miles. The drop from the crest is a serious obstacle that needs to be taken with caution. Climbing it in the opposite direction will require low-gearing and lockers for some vehicles.

Once down this obstacle, you will climb a moderate hill before reaching a narrow shelf road. Take your time on the narrow road and you will eventually find yourself overlooking the town of Cerro Gordo:

In the town, make a donation and have the caretaker show you around. The town is amazing with the tour. Because it is private property, you are able to touch the real implements of the early west mining era. The history of this town comes alive with the caretaker's stories.

The General Store:

Sharon and the caretaker (Bob):

One of the houses of the prominent mine shareholders:

An ore cart:

The hotel:

Since the previous owner (Mike Patterson) has died, the management of the ghost town has struggled. Most recently, the very wet weather that SoCal and NoCal have received has by-passed this region. The area is suffering for natural water. Bob told me that he would appreciate donations of fresh, potable water and of firewood of any kind.

The contact information for Cerro Gordo is:

Robert Desmarais - Manager
    PO Box 95
    Keeler, CA 93530

760-876-5030

On the way down the mountain from Cerro Gordo, the terrain is very interesting. There also is evidence of the mining history:

Including an ore cart still suspended from the tram cabling:

All-in-all, I have to say that this is one of my favorite trails. It is not terribly difficult, but it is filled with scenic and historical interests.

It is a great trail that I would recommend to anyone.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Great report Mike. Pretty cool to see the rest of the salt tram. Sorry we missed it.
      Check out .

Comment

Fantastic trip report and pictures.
        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Sweet! I like it Mikey, I like it! It's cool to see the other end of the salt tram. I pulled up some pics of our Tday trip to look at the tram down in Saline Valley. pretty cool. That was one LONGGGG tram.
          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Excellent trip report and beautiful pics. I will be using it as a guide for my trip up there this year.
            Mike
            "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

Originally posted by Deepwater View Post
              Excellent trip report and beautiful pics. I will be using it as a guide for my trip up there this year.
              Mike
              I'll have a GPX for the run soon. If you want a copy, PM me your email.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Excellent report Mike. I'll be out there in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the nice guide work.

Mitch

Comment

Fantastic write up Mike! Great photos!
                  Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                  Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                  HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Working...
                  X