Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds like the little diesel could be a good match for your needs. Don't know how many people are into hotrodding those old flatheads these days, but I'm sure there are some. I'm guessing that would be expensive for what you'd get out of it.
    holes = cowbell

Comment

• Yea, a rebuild of the engine would cost about as much as finding a good condition Turbo Diesel. And who knows if I'd be able to get much more power out of the flathead. Some folks put dual carburetors on there, shave a bit off of the head for higher compression. But the results don't ever seem to be a whole lot more power, haha! The local flathead hotrod shop I was talking to said they would probably custom grind the camshaft to get some more upper RPM power out of it, but I don't think upper RPM power is what I'd like in the jeep.
      [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
      www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

• Any engine that makes you not want to drive the Jeep much is not worth having. That said, I do think the old stuff can be really cool. Ran into an older guy out here whose daily driver is a mostly original Model A (don't remember exactly which model or year). It had a warmed up, slightly later model engine that sounded pretty healthy, but it was still a Model A engine. He seemed quite happy with it, and said he'd drive it until the wheels fell off. I thought it was cool as heck.
        holes = cowbell

Comment

• Turbo the flathead, that would be sweet! But on a more practical note the diesel should work well. Which model are you looking at using? They are usually pretty heavy but I guess that old L head is too.

Comment

• Or slap one of these on there!

Comment

• I think that is the flat head I'm trying to build.
              IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

• Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                Any engine that makes you not want to drive the Jeep much is not worth having. That said, I do think the old stuff can be really cool. Ran into an older guy out here whose daily driver is a mostly original Model A (don't remember exactly which model or year). It had a warmed up, slightly later model engine that sounded pretty healthy, but it was still a Model A engine. He seemed quite happy with it, and said he'd drive it until the wheels fell off. I thought it was cool as heck.
                Oh I fully intend to keep on daily driving the willys! That's kind of why I don't want to go nuts with it. If I drop a big engine in there, then I'm gonna want stronger axles, and stronger frame, then power steering, disc brakes, aaand so on. haha :-D I want just enough power to be able to drive around comfortably. Which in all honesty, isn't a whole lot more power than I have. If the roads were always flat, I would almost be perfectly happy with the power I have. I'm just not sure that hotrodding the flathead 4cyl would give me enough power. People say you can't really get to much power out of these things, even if you turbo/super charge them. I saw an old magazine article wher they had a superchager stuck on the side (a roots type), I bet that would probably give me enough power, but who knows how hard it would be to tune!

I do hope to take the willys on some trails, but I don't want to turn it into a trail vehicle, I like driving it around town, haha I think I don't even want to put lockers in there, once I do that, I'm gonna want taller tires, more power... aaaaaand then the list grows again
                Last edited by daniel_buck; 04-11-13, 07:30 PM.
                [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

• It is a slippery slope indeed. It would be a shame to take a good solid 2A and turn it into a rock crawler with almost nothing original.
                  holes = cowbell

Comment

• I wouldn't say mine's solid, it's got alot of rust, holes, and nothing is straight. Just ask Kurt ;-) haha! Maybe later on in life I'll turn something into a buggy, but I love driving this thing

Comment

• A friend of mine has some Ford GPW parts laying around. Makes my head spin sometimes. I must be nuts.
                      holes = cowbell

Comment

• old parts can make fun things sometimes! I'm collecting D18 transfer case inspection covers, they make good beer coasters I leave the rust on them, just clean them off a bit, then spray a clear coat on them

Comment

• I like your style!
                          holes = cowbell

Comment

• well it's decided, I'll be putting in a 2.2L v2203 Kubota Direct injection diesel pretty soon! It's not turbocharged, but even without the turbo it makes about the same power as the turbo engine I was looking at. And apparently it's very simple to pop a turbo onto these (since some of them came with turbos, and some didn't). I'll try it without the turbo first I guess, and then if i need more, I'll look into putting a turbo on there :-D

Without the turbo, it should make a little bit less HP than the flathead I have now (well,, assumming my flathead is making the power it should be!) but should make a bunch more torque, and alot better torque curve. If I don't need the turbo to drive happily, then I'll just run it as is. But I have a feeling I'd eventually want the turbo on there, just because turbos are cool

Will pick up the motor hopfully sometime next week.
                            Last edited by daniel_buck; 04-12-13, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jonah View Post
                              Or slap one of these on there!

I just saw this post. Hot diggity, that is one swell lookin' engine! Are those heat sinks on the heads?
                              holes = cowbell

Comment

• Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
                                well it's done, I'll be putting in a 2.2L v2203 Kubota Direct injection diesel pretty soon! It's not turbocharged, but even without the turbo it makes about the same power as the turbo engine I was looking at. And apparently it's very simple to pop a turbo onto these (since some of them came with turbos, and some didn't). I'll try it without the turbo first I guess, and then if i need more, I'll look into putting a turbo on there :-D

Without the turbo, it should make a little bit less HP than the flathead I have now (well,, assumming my flathead is making the power it should be!) but should make a bunch more torque, and alot better torque curve. If I don't need the turbo to drive happily, then I'll just run it as is. But I have a feeling I'd eventually want the turbo on there, just because turbos are cool
                                So you bought it?
                                holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
                                X