Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: 42RLE Blues

My 06 42RLE trans with 115,121 miles on it started acting up, by not shifting into 3-4th gear,
    Pulling codes of P0700 Trans control system
    & P1776 Solenoid switch valve latched in LR position.

Is this something to do myself, by droping the pan and valve body, or take in to a trans shop,
    Can fix anything on the jeep, auto trans make my squeamish.
    Solor Yellow LJ Rubicion 4.5 SF SA. Body armor bumpers, Sliders, Warn RC 9.0, CB,Intake, Edge TB and programer.35" X Terrains, Some additional cage work

If you don't mind messing with the solenoids and have the required trouble trees and a good DVOM you could take a stab at it.
    Otherwise Eric/ Nailer31 has one of these transmissions sitting in his garage, that he is dying to get rid of. Would probably save you some coin and frustration

Comment

Sounds like you need to replaced your solenoid pack. Just drop the pan and the valve body and you can easily replace it.

What kind of scan tool do you have? I ask because you have to do a "quick learn'' procedure after you replace them.

Edit: here's what the solenoid pack looks like:

It's the big block on the right with the connector coming out of it.
      Last edited by TJ Jake; 11-03-12, 01:43 PM.
      We tried to make the world idiot proof. Now we just have a world full of idiots.

Comment

unpluged both sensors, removed the 10mm bolts, VB drops 4", but the metal rod linkage is connected,(Botton left of pic) wont drop enough to get my fingers in there to disconect, where dose it disconnect from?
        Only have my Super Chip reprogramer, reading codes, will that work to reset.
        Solor Yellow LJ Rubicion 4.5 SF SA. Body armor bumpers, Sliders, Warn RC 9.0, CB,Intake, Edge TB and programer.35" X Terrains, Some additional cage work

Comment

The metal rod with the blue band on it? Thats the shift linkage and you'll have to remove the one bolt that holds it onto the rod (10 mm IIRC).

If you're talking about the smaller one with the spring on it, thats for the parking pawl. After you removed the shift linkage from the shaft, rotate it clockwise as far as it will go so that the parking pawl rod disengages from the pawl.

Heres how to remove it from the Factory Service Manual.

1. Lower exhaust. (Unnecessary in my opinion)
          2. Disconnect the TRS and solenoid wiring connectors.
          3. Disconnect the shift cable from the shift lever (at the transmission).
          4. Move the manual shift lever clockwise as far as it will go. This should be one position past the L position. Then remove the manual shift lever.

NOTE: One of the oil pan bolts has a sealing patch applied from the factory. Separate this bolts for reuse.
          5. Remove transmission pan bolts
          6. Remove transmission oil pan
          7. Remove oil filter from valve body. It is held in place by two screws.
          8. Remove valve body bolts-to-case.

CAUTION: The overdrive and underdrive accumulators and springs may fall out when removing the valve body.

9. Carefully remove valve body assembly from the transmission.

Hope that helps :beer:

Edit: I'm not sure if the Superchips programmer can do a quick learn. But if it can't, leave the battery disconnected while you do all of this so the computer can forget what it's learned in the past.
          Last edited by TJ Jake; 11-04-12, 09:39 PM.
          We tried to make the world idiot proof. Now we just have a world full of idiots.

Comment

If you need a replacement trans, I have one sitting on my garage floor.
            Let me know if you are interested.
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
              If you don't mind messing with the solenoids and have the required trouble trees and a good DVOM you could take a stab at it.
              Otherwise Eric/ Nailer31 has one of these transmissions sitting in his garage, that he is dying to get rid of. Would probably save you some coin and frustration
              I just saw this. Thanks Chuck.

I have a bunch of parts from your year jeep. Trans, computer, harness, exhaust manifold, fuel rail, distributor rail, etc...
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

History:

Jeep liberty sport v6 owner, I had a trans oil low pressure sensor fault code then limp mode whole nine yards. Resetting the computer worked for awhile. Spent 2 days tuning it up. After realizing the sensor need ed replaced I bought one. Too bad it was from a party store Any way I could not find where it went any where and decided to drop the valve body. I know where it goes now and just really needed a break from it. The valve body did not drop all the way down. The only thing I disconnected was the electronics harness. I made a wise choice and buttoned it back up. the valve body went back up into place.

Question:

did I hurt any thing? Can I tore it down and go about my business. Is there anything I need to check? Thank you, still kicking my self over it because I knew better.

Comment

Working...
                X