Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did you find the cause?
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

I know this is an old and likely dead thread, but the OP's problem sounded very similar to the one I had on my (new to me) TJ earlier this year just after I got it. Basically, I'd start it, and it would warm up. Once it was at operating temp (about a mile or so away from home), it would make this awfully loud whistle - it honestly sounded like the devil's teakettle. But only at idle; give it some gas, it'd go away. Let it idle, back again. It would stay this way for a couple of minute, then go away for good - I wouldn't hear it again until the next morning when I started her back up.

I cleaned the throttle body (it needed it), but no dice. I tried cleaning the IAC (and in the process found that the gasket was unobtanium - so I had to make my own!) - still no dice. I tried replacing the IAC - that didn't work either. At a loss, I finally took it to my mechanic. On the morning on my way there, it did it again. I pulled over and listened real carefully before it went away - and I had this feeling that it might be the belt tensioner; it seemed to have a slight metallic sound to it...

Got it over to my mechanic, and he looked at it (plus got a few other things fixed as well that were needed - $$$) - and guess what? It was the tensioner.

He replaced that, the noise hasn't come back since (about 5 months now).

So listen to it carefully - and try replacing that part; it's cheap and easy to do (I'd have tried it myself if I didn't have other things on it that needed repair - like the rear main seal, and some other stuff - like I said, $$$). Worth a shot if you don't have anything else wrong you need a mechanic to look at, and it beats having him do it and getting charged for it.

Comment

Got the same issue and the culprit was loose bolts on the intake manifold.

Comment

Working...
        X