Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organized Event: Swamp Lake

I was having lunch on Thursday August 29 when I received an email from CA4WD about their High Sierra Poker Run event on labor day weekend. I went to their event page and I was interested. I found Mike's report from a few years ago and the trail looked fun. I signed up Thursday afternoon and started packing after work.

I left La Habra at 11am on Friday August 30. Google said 300 miles and 5 hours to Shaver Lake. With a lunch stop and gas it took me 6 hours to get to Shaver Lake. From Shaver Lake I had directions from CA4WD.

I found Dinkey Creek easy enough and reset my odometer to zero. About 12 miles turned into 9 miles. I drove past the turn off but I saw it. Now all I had to do was find a place to turn around a 50' rig. I got back to 9S09 Rock Creek Rd and headed North. 1 mile, 2 miles, 3 miles, 4 miles....no tee. I turned around again. As I was heading down I met a group going up and they said turn around and follow them. My 3rd U turn and this one took out the lights on the trailer as I backed into some Manzanita. It ended up being 5.8 miles to the tee. It was mostly paved but there were some serious potholes. More about those later. I rolled into camp around 7pm. I found a spot not too far from the main part of camp and got set up. On the run the next day there were 5 other people who were at the event for the first time and they all struggled with the directions. 2 of them were coming in after dark and ended up setting up camp elsewhere and found camp on Saturday morning. I talked with Clayton "cweed here on MJR" and he stated that he knew about the poor directions but hadn't had a chance to fix them yet.

My little slice of heaven

After getting camp set up I headed over to the registration area.

There were multiple runs. The run I was interested in was the overnight run to Swamp Lake. It had a drivers meeting at 8am and was leaving camp at 8:30am on Saturday. I took the Black Pearl to tech, passed tech, and headed back to the camper. Dinner and then the new John Grisham book and I was out by 9pm.

Rigs started lining up at 7:30am on Saturday and it looked like we had 14 rigs. Jesse, the run leader, called the driver's meeting at 8:15am. Jesse talked about some of the obstacles we would come across: Sharktooth, Razorback, Chainsaw, Rooster Rock, etc. Jesse told us we would be camping at Grouse Lake and that turned out to be a fantastic camp. Jesse told us we would be running the trail from North to South. We headed out of camp at 8:30am and had only gone a few hundred yards when we had 2 rigs on trailers pass us headed for camp. They were new folks who camped elsewhere Friday night and had just found base camp. We waited for them to unload and picked up 1 more late addition for a total of 17 rigs. On 9S10 we picked up 1 more really late addition. They were the medic team.

We were at the trailhead about 9:30am and started our adventure. Less than 1 mile in one of the CJs lost fuel pressure. It was the pump and they didn't have a spare. A couple of other folks had spares but they were for fuel injection and had too much psi for a carb. This was the solution and they ran the whole trail with this fix.

Not 1/2 mile after we started in the rocks the medic team, also in a CJ, busted open their front pumpkin. I never saw them again so I assume they limped back to camp?

Tail Gunner Charlie, also in a CJ was having intermittent fuel problems. We had 3 long stops before ever getting 1/2 way to camp.

Below are some pics from the Saturday portion of the Swamp Lake Trail.

High centered

Group photo at the cabin near Swamp Meadow

Swamp Lake (the haze is smoke from the Rim Fire. It was with us all day Saturday)

I found a root sticking out of the side of the trail

We got to camp at Grouse Lake at 4pm

Most of us fished at some point. This was Steve.

It was pretty much a fish every cast. Small Brook Trout and a few Golden Trout. Most 6"-7" I deep hooked 2 and kept them for dinner.

I cleaned up and was in bed by 8pm.

to be continued.....
    Last edited by FishPOET; 09-03-13, 06:38 AM.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

I was up early Sunday morning. I packed up and did a little bit of fishing. Not wanting to deep hook any more fish I just tied knot around the night crawler and tossed it out. What fun and easy release

I walked around the lake and got a couple of pics.

Most of us were ready to roll at 8am. We left 2 rigs that ended up leaving at 8:30am.

Some pics of the trail on Sunday:

Coming down Rooster Rock

The 2nd to last rig had broken his front truss. He had a 4 link radius arm and a few guys told him he could finish with just 1 upper link but he ended up borrowing a welder and welding the truss.

Back on the trail

The Booty Tree

We got back to base camp at 4pm. They had an articulation ramp set up and a turtle course. Dinner was provided at 6pm and it was fantastic. After dinner was the awards presentation and then the raffle. I was in bed at 8pm.

This guy was on a different run. He lost his wheel (I guess he didn't have a spare or maybe stripped the wheel studs) but he limped back on a log.

I was on the road this morning at 7am. It took me an hour and a half to get to Shaver Lake. I was getting gas in Bakersfield and as I was walking around the trailer I noticed one of the tires had steel belts showing through on the inside only. The outside still had good tread left. I had bent the axle going into camp on Friday. In fact I think I bent both axles. I switched out the tire and was home by 3pm.

Overall I had a good time. Swamp Lake Trail was awesome. Lots of fun obstacles and the scenery was fantastic. Grouse Lake is INCREDIBLE. I could easily spend a few days there relaxing and exploring. This was my 1st ever CA4WD event and honestly it was very unorganized. I think Hi Desert Round Up and Panamint Valley Days are better organized, but it is only a guess.
    Last edited by FishPOET; 09-02-13, 08:04 PM.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Great report and pics! I'm glad that you had fun. It really is a beautiful area and a killer trail.
      I'm a little disappointed that they ran it from North to South. Going up Rooster Rock is a good time! Also some of the obstacles seem like they would be more challenging from South to North. Regardless, it is a big boy pants trail in either direction.

I'm guessing that those fuel problems with the CJs might be related to the fact that the trail is at 9000 feet. I had a hard time breathing there. I'm sure that a naturally aspirated Jeep would too!
      Last edited by Mike; 09-02-13, 11:21 PM.
      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Great pics Doug, I am so gonna enjoy this trail in the next couple of days

Comment

that looks like a beautiful trail, I'd like to run that sometime! Thanks for the photos
          [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
          www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Great report Doug. I did Swamp Lake last summer (immediately after the Dusy). Great trail. We camped one night at Swamp Lake. Very pretty, but tough fishing. Will have to look into Grouse Lake next time.

Comment

Great pics. The Shaver Lake area is one of my favorites.

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              Great report and pics! I'm glad that you had fun. It really is a beautiful area and a killer trail.
              I'm a little disappointed that they ran it from North to South. Going up Rooster Rock is a good time! Also some of the obstacles seem like they would be more challenging from South to North. Regardless, it is a big boy pants trail in either direction.

I'm guessing that those fuel problems with the CJs might be related to the fact that the trail is at 9000 feet. I had a hard time breathing there. I'm sure that a naturally aspirated Jeep would too!
              Hey Mike we need to run those trails again.
              If you don't like the way I drive, stay off of Kurts foot!

Comment

Thanks for taking us along. Sounds like it was a good trip. We have been up there a number of times and always enjoy the trips.......well, I can't think of any wheeling trips I have not enjoyed.
                Rich

Comment

Originally posted by 50yj View Post
                  Great pics. The Shaver Lake area is one of my favorites.

Hey Mike we need to run those trails again.
                  Hell Yeah!
                  Give me a bit to beat Mr. Green into shape again. We might be able to squeeze it in before the first big snowfall.
                  If not, ASAP! Great trail. Great area!
                  [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                  Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                  [/COLOR]

Comment

It.s an incredibly beautiful area, loved watching the bats picking insects of the water surface at Groose lake. Trailwise I got more out of The part of the Dusy between Kaiser pass and Ershim lake seemed like that has gotten more challenging than 4 years ago, that was a hoot albeit a somewhat long one. Swamplake trail is very scenic, but not as challenging as I had hoped. Still glad I puttered to the trail was well worth it.
                    Last edited by aw12345; 09-07-13, 11:32 AM.

Comment

This was the best part of the whole trail, to us.

camping 015 by aartjestaartje, on Flickr

Sweet lil climb, no lockers needed

camping 011 by aartjestaartje, on Flickr

camping 013 by aartjestaartje, on Flickr

Fast Freddy chillin in his favorite chair

camping 008 by aartjestaartje, on Flickr
                      Last edited by aw12345; 09-07-13, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X