Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Newb

Hello Jeepers,

My wife and I currently live in Burnsville MN but will be relocating to the LA area within the next few months. I work for a company that build transit systems and we will be working on the Crenshaw/LAX Transit Project for the next 5 years, so any suggestions on the good areas for living will be appreciated. My wife and I are in our mid 40's and are pretty laid back. How hard is it going to be to find a house with a garage and enough room to store my jeep and trailer?

My jeep is not street legal so it will be garaged during play times.

Here's a link to a pic of our jeep:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Welcome to MJR.

I'm sure you have been out this way and you have seen that LA is HUGE and housing sure isn't cheap. What $400,000 buys in the rest of the country will get you a Condo here. If you don't wish to commute too far, the South Bay has some nice areas. Some pricey some not. You may end up renting a house for bit.

Comment

Welcome to MJR!!
      Check out .

Comment

Welcome to MJR and to Southern California. WARNING!!! after five years in Southern California, you and your wife may not want to move back to Minnesota!
        Since you need a house with a garage and room for your trailer, you are more likely to find what you are looking for to the south or the west of the transit project area. The areas to the north and to the east have apartments, high density neighborhoods, and/or older and smaller properties. The closer to the beach, the more expensive, but if your company is sending you out here, they probably pay you well enough that you can afford it (unless you spend it all on your Jeep build).
        I hope that you can join us for our annual IDTT run at Calico. We haven't set a date yet, but it's usually late March or early April.
        If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
        KI6MLU

Comment

[COLOR="#800000"]Welcome to MJR! Nice Jeep![/COLOR]
          [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
          Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Welcome aboard, and congrats! Good luck with all the new jeeping opportunities California has to offer. You're guaranteed to love the weather! And most of your trail photos will look like calendar shots
            :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung View Post
              Welcome to MJR and to Southern California. WARNING!!! after five years in Southern California, you and your wife may not want to move back to Minnesota!
              Since you need a house with a garage and room for your trailer, you are more likely to find what you are looking for to the south or the west of the transit project area. The areas to the north and to the east have apartments, high density neighborhoods, and/or older and smaller properties. The closer to the beach, the more expensive, but if your company is sending you out here, they probably pay you well enough that you can afford it (unless you spend it all on your Jeep build).
              I hope that you can join us for our annual IDTT run at Calico. We haven't set a date yet, but it's usually late March or early April.

How far south or east can I go before traffic is a factor? Or is traffic always a factor? lol

Comment

Welcome!

I'm right near LAX in Westchester, There's a few of us near LAX, we'll have to do a little meetup sometime

And yea, traffic is always kind of a factor, haha! You'll just have to get used to that. haha
                Last edited by daniel_buck; 01-10-14, 02:37 PM.
                [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

And thanks for the welcomes, I'm looking forward to getting some calendar shots!

Comment

Welcome to MJR! You can actually go Jeeping year round here!
                    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                    MJR moderator
                    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                    Jeep Patrol Leader
                    Reforestation Supervisor
                    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                    Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Trailabite View Post
                      How far south or east can I go before traffic is a factor? Or is traffic always a factor? lol
                      Hi! and welcome to MJR!
                      Unfortunately, where your new project is will be buried into heavy traffic most likely. If you are willing to give up space, parking, and $$$ you can live close your work. If you have a trailer for your rig, there are places to store it for a monthly fee.

Welcome to SoCal! We have to pay for our weather!

But it is worth it!
                      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                      [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                        Welcome to MJR! You can actually go Jeeping year round here!
                        Sounds like a lot more chances to break things to me. I'm still waiting to see what my relocation package is going to be, but I probably will not be moving there until around April sometime. One thing is for sure, we are way past ready to get the heck out of Minnasnowta!

Comment

Sounds like a lot more chances to break things to me. I'm still waiting to see what my relocation package is going to be, but I probably will not be moving there until around April sometime. One thing is for sure, we are way past ready to get the heck out of Minnasnowta!
                          Welcome to MJR! To wet your appetite a little bit, it was 80° today when I went out at lunch and I was at work, which is about 1 mile from the water. If you're tired of the snow, you'll like it here. A couple of times a year we get storms and can go visit the snow with about a 1-2 hour drive (depending on where in SoCal you end up). That's good enough for me.
                          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Anyone have info on Inglewood?

Comment

In SoCal, we don't measure distance in miles. How "Far away" something is, is relative to how long it takes to get there, and at what time of day. Also, we have tons of micro climates within 2 to 3 hours drive of LA basin, so our activities cycle through those areas based on weather. Right now is desert season, then in summer we head up into the mountains to avoid the desert heat. We don't have traditional winter, but we do have weather cycles.
                              Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                              Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                              HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Working...
                              X