Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Taco and 640 miles

For a long time I've wanted to run up and over Cerro Gordo, and up and over the hill towards Panamint, to Baker ca. Seen it on the map. Should be doable.

Well the wife and I headed out to Kennedy meadows, did some exploring, then spent the night at the Camp ground. Got up the next morning and headed for the Reward mine. Seen pictures of it, but never been there. Armed with my Garvin, and topo maps off we went. Pretty cool, the fact that you could drive inside of it. Well we headed back to Lone Pine and fueled up, then off to Cerro Gordo. On the way up we came across a gentleman who had a new diesel F350 ford pickup, with a car trailer stacked 3 foot high with 2x12's. Two wheel drive trying to get this wood to Cerro Gordo as a donation. He'd made a turn to tight and bent a trailer wheel. Got the spare on the trailer, hooked on to him and proceeded to drag him all the way to the ghost town. On the way he made another turn to tight and bent another wheel on the trailer. From all the spinning he was doing with the truck rear tires, they were toast also. Figured his donation probably cost around $800 in rims and tires. Dropped him off at Cerro Gordo and over the hill we went.

Now the adventure begins. Armed with just our maps, by ourselves we drop down the North side. ( Scotty had an idea of our route. ) The map shows it as a dirt road, but it's been washed out in places. Stopped and got out at a few places to make sure it was doable. Well long story short we made it down and found the trail that would run us east. Ended up in Death Valley with the wind blowing hard, and used the truck to help block the wind so we could get the tent up. Momma wanted a fire, but we had no wood. Fortunately there was plenty of dried Donkey crap. You know that that stuff burns like briquettes? Seen it on Dances with wolves. We weren't quite sure where we were at, but you know for being lost we really weren't worried. Had plenty of gas and water with us, so we were good. Knew that the 190 hwy was somewhere east of us.

Got up the next morning and headed off to find the 190. Damn were doing good, found it and headed off to Panamint springs. Got our bearings and headed for Ballerat. Story to be continue.

Sounds amazing! Especially the dung! LOL!!!
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

haha, do what you have to do :-D
      [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
      www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

That's awesome! I have been wanting to do that run over the ranges also. Looking forward to more of this story.
        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
        [/COLOR]

Comment

Pictures of the reward mine;

Comment

[

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

The East side of the Panamints are quite different than the West side. Not as rugged. Made our way towards Shoshone and spent the night. Would do it again, 642 miles, Kevin.

Comment

Looks like an awesome trip! Thanks for posting and sharing with us. Getting out and exploring like that is what we were meant to do in my mind.
                      USMC F&AM

Comment

Kevin, that sounds like a great trip. Reward Mine is a trip to drive thru! so easy to get to and so close. A must see if folks haven't done the mines in that area. Nice pictures.

Comment

thanks for sharing, it looks like a fun trip it is now on the to do list.

If you do, "Do it again" count me in.
                          You can lead a horse to water, but it might drown

Comment

Working...
                          X