Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuild or replace tranny

So...2002 TJ with 6 cyl automatic transmission. 54,000 original miles on the vehicle and the tranny has already been rebuilt once under warranty at approx 18,000 miles. It's having the same issues again - shifting hard and late, no power in low gears. Shop is recommending rebuild at a cost of approx $1,200. I've been looking around and I can get a crate transmission for around the same price. My question is, if it was your Jeep would you replace or rebuild?

Thanks, all!

Jeri Lyn
    Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

I'd replace since it has already been rebuilt once and is now having the same issue. Sounds to me like some very minor out of tolerance mill work or something internal to the transmission casing. I'm only assuming the problem is there because it has been rebuilt, which I assume (Ya, I know you and me) means they replaced all the internals that they could; bands/clutches/etc. But I'm by no means a mechanical guy.

And I guess I should mention all the other awesome things you could do with buying a new one... Like getting the gearing you want, etc etc. But I'm biased. I hate to use old stuff if new is little to no cost difference.
    USMC F&AM

Comment

If it's doing it a 2nd time, it'll probably do it a 3rd. Especially if the cost is similar. Get a new tranny. I'm a stick guy, I'd go with an NV3550. But thats another can of worms, you probably don't want to deal with.
      It was like that when I got here.

Comment

buy new trans, rebuild old one and carry it with you on the trail in true jeep manner.
        You can lead a horse to water, but it might drown

Comment

Originally posted by Toolman View Post
          buy new trans, rebuild old one and carry it with you on the trail in true jeep manner.
          Best idea yet.
          USMC F&AM

Comment

Working...
          X