Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No backup lights

I think my switch is bad, the reverse lights came on for a second then never came on again. Is there an easy way to change this with out having to remove the skid plate and drain the tranny? Is there something else I need to look at besides the switch?

6 cyl, auto

Thanks for any & all help!

Fuse Number 7 in the fuse block powers the back up lights.
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Comment

My fuse is good, I checked it. But thank you!!

I can see now the lights come on for a second as I am shifting through the gears, but it does not stay on when I put it in reverse. Weird!
      Last edited by DesertPatty; 08-30-14, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Can some one show me a pic of this switch? Or should I be looking inside the cab under the shift level console / shroud?

Comment

According to my Haynes manual, the neutral start and back-up light switch are combined into one unit. The diagram shows it being on the transmission case just above the oil pan. Probably very near where the shift cable attaches to the shift lever on the case. It indicates having three terminals - the center one being for neutral. That would indicate one of the outers as the hot and the other for the backup lights. You can pull it out and manually actuate it (it probably just has a round follower on the end) and use a meter to check for continuity. It may be worn or even just loose. Could even be a loose connector. Good luck!
          God forgives, rocks don't
          -sons of thunder

Comment

Thank you, I will try that.

Comment

It turned out to be the neutral / reverse switch on the tranny, got a new one and now they work perfectly! Just thought I'd share.

Comment

Working...
              X