Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Gary! I was hoping you would see this post.

Gary, do you have any preference on trucks, Chevy, Dodge, or Ford? When you say 'older' trucks, what year range are you talking about? I really haven't kept up with trucks.

I guess delivering finished furniture would fall under work, would I get any hassle driving with the CJ on the back? Are all trucks supposed to stop on the scales, commercial or personal use? When I drive through CA and pass all the truck scales, I see tons of trucks hauling big loads that don't stop, I figured they were personal use trucks?
    Last edited by daniel_buck; 09-23-14, 06:39 AM.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
      Thanks Gary! I was hoping you would see this post.Gary, do you have any preference on trucks, Chevy, Dodge, or Ford? When you say 'older' trucks, what year range are you talking about? I really haven't kept up with trucks.I guess delivering finished furniture would fall under work, would I get any hassle driving with the CJ on the back? Are all trucks supposed to stop on the scales, commercial or personal use? When I drive through CA and pass all the truck scales, I see tons of trucks hauling big loads that don't stop, I figured they were personal use trucks?
      The trucks you see bypassing the scales have a bypass transponder.

Comment

ooooh, that explains it, haha
        [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

As long as you stay under 60 while going by, the likelihood of them doing anything is very slim. Unless the cop is really bored, the chances of them chasing you down are very, very small. Especially with a rig like you're looking at. I've bypassed the scales in box trucks and stake beds many, many times and nothing has ever happened.
          "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

ah man :drool:

Comment

Your land lord is gonna love that in your driveway.

Comment

I don't think it would even fit in my driveway

Comment

Haha, truck would crack your driveway.

Based on the budget you mentioned,

If I was considering setting up a truck I might consider a pre smog truck 1975 or older, one ton Dually with acab n chassis frame for the length. My preference would be 1964 through 1972. Parts are cheap, easy to work on , tags are cheap, and you can do anything you want under the hood.

A truck like this, loose this bed and build a nice ramp style flatbed similar to the one on the previous link . http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4672228418.html .

Another truck, http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4603527697.html

The only way you're going to get away without having a CA number is if you say the truck is not for commercial use. Not for hire, and the furniture isn't for sale. Even then though a officer may think you're lying and write you a ticket. At that point you'll have to go to court and fight it. They'll have to prove you're lying, or throw the ticket out of court.

Also, before you buy a truck you may want to check with parking enforcement just to see if they'll have a problem with a truck like this being parked in your neighborhood. I just know every time we have a truck down your way parking enforcement is right on us with their ticket book in hand.

Comment

This would be a good one.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4662356497.html

Comment

I'd love to have an old 40s or 50's flatbed truck! Looks like they would probably be a project in themselves though. Which I wouldn't be opposed to. So long as I could get them running good and strong (probably a 4bt/6bt swap). Not having to smog the truck would definitely be a plus!

I think I'll have to make this a somewhat long-term goal, maybe sometime end of next year or when ever I slowly get the willys squared away to where I don't think it needs any more work. Don't want to many projects going at once, haha!

I'll definitely get in touch with you Gary, when it comes time to actually plop down money for a truck. Might need your assistance getting one of them home too That 46 would be sweet, a 46 flatbed hauling my 46 jeep around
                      Last edited by daniel_buck; 09-25-14, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Yep you should probably grab that 46. It's in my town. It's been for sale for several months. I keep seeing the ad and thinking about buying it myself. Lol

Comment

I'd have to see if I have cash available, I'm a bit tight right now, and I certainly don't have a spot to keep it right now, the willys on jack stands is taking up the driveway. I'm not quite ready to take on a vehicle just yet.

The ad states it doesn't have a VIN or title, I wonder how much trouble that would be?

Comment

I've been using a service that handles lien sales, registration, and title stuff for about 20 years . I don't think it would be much of an issue. Might cost a couple hundred bucks to get it put in your name and non op'd?

These old trucks aren't hard to find, when you're ready I'll help you hunt one down.

Comment

Yea, definitely, thanks I can't take one on right now, but hopefully sometime within the next year

Comment

Working...
                              X