Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting VERY frustrated with Garmin software

ok, so about 2 wks ago I got a Garmin GPSmap sc handheld. Bought the birds eye map software and downloaded Garmin BaseCamp.
    For a number of days I was messing with it and finally figured out how to plot waypoints on the software then transfer it over to the gps.
    Well today I did nothing different. I'd go onto basecamp, plot my coordinates for the waypoint and they would show as a flag on basecamp. I'd then export it over to my gps (gps was connected to the laptop). The loading function showed it as loading. My internal memory on the gps was used AND I could see the files on the gps drive. Problem is, when I navigate to the downloaded map on my gps there are NO waypoints.
    WTH? I thought maybe it was a whim. So I tried several times. Ea time consuming space. Nothing. Then I completely wiped out ( on purpose) the maps etc on the gps and basecamp. Then loaded the maps, and added waypoints. Maps show, waypoints dont.... SIGH!!! What's going on? Any experts feel free to chime in.
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

In the "Send to Device" dialog box, there are separate checkboxes to send maps, waypoints, tracks, and routes. Did you put a checkmark in the box to send the waypoints to your GPSmap device? If you use folders to organize your maps and data, are the waypoints in the folder that you are sending to the GPSmap? Have you tried to connect your GPSmap to your computer and then just drag and drop the waypoint(s) to the GPSmap?
    Last edited by Russ Chung; 10-10-14, 06:14 AM.
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Comment

There's all kinds of little settings on those things. Are you on a Mac or PC? One thing that has tripped me up on apps like these is that they sometimes create a file for the project, and then next time, don't open it automatically for you.
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

I think I figured it out today. I went to my gps' map setting and saw that there were two options. One was the factory maps that came built in and the other was the BirdsEye mapping that I paid for and loaded. I highlighted and saved the BirdsEye. Then I wipped out the particular map segment and waypoints that was giving me grief, connected the gps to the laptop and exported to the gps. It worked.
        Russ, the send to dialog box did not have any options to save only waypoints, footsteps, map etc. Only to save it to a specific drive and to the internal storage of the gps. I didn't test whether I can choose waypoint, then type the coordinate and have it automatically plot it on the map today. I painstakingly used my mouse and watched the lat/long until it was where I wanted it then dropped the marker. Had to work so ran out of time. I'll see tomorrow if I can do it the easier way (being obviously preferred). Learning curve perhaps.
        Last edited by brokenujoint; 10-10-14, 09:49 PM.
        1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Working...
        X