Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The value on my "old Jeep" (as far as they're concerned) is roughly $3K. To do an itemized ala-carte policy would cost about $4000 annually. What's more insulting is that I only wanted to get them on board with replacement value if anyone else damages it so I can get a reasonable replacement. I learned this after the attempted theft. My lesson learned: install some kind of bullet-proof anti-theft system and be prepared to be on your own if some dingleberry thrashes your rig while trying to steal it...
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Comment

Need a little help from MJR....I haven't taken my Jeep out of the garage with out being paranoid about someone driving off with it. I'm thinking about installing a Fuel Pump Shut Off Switch that I could shut off every time I leave the jeep. Could I easily splice into the Fuel Pump Wiring?? Any advice would be helpful?

Comment

I did that to mine. The FP relay in the fuse box under the hood. I don't remember which wire I cut but, it's just a simple on/off hidden toggle switch. It puts the fuel pump in default mode, so it just coughs and sputters.

Steve
        All slow and no show

Comment

I feel the paranoia pain as well. Personally I refuse to drive my jeep to a grocery store, movie theater, restaurant, or any where that I will be "gone" for an expected amount of time. Not everyone has the luxury of being able to do this. I bought a sedan that I use for work and everything really and park the jeep in the garage and only take it out for drives and for wheeling. I have been broken into twice several yrs ago when it was my daily driver. I was hyper paranoid then too. The second time I saw the thieves breaking in and beat the she it out of one of them.
          If you HAVE to be the DD and cant garage park it or do w/o taking it to stores etc then you might want to do like the little old lady does to her door in Mel Brookes' movie "The Producers." Lock and secure the CRAP out of it. Chain across the brake and clutch, put it in 4neutral (you'll be surprised how many people are stupid enough to not notice that and run). Lock your steering wheel, get a kill switch, pull your dist cable if your have them, do the FP cut-off, get a alarm, get a dog. I'm planning on an Atlas and will be getting the micro lock for it. Lever will be hidden. Try moving that jeep with the drivetrain locked out.

The sad thing to all of this and or ANY anti-theft recommendation is that if the thief wants it bad enough and he has the resources/skills, they're gonna get it. I've heard of thieves stealing a tow truck just to steal a vehicle. They winch it and pull it up. Any onlookers don't think much since its a "Tow Truck."

Im about 15 miles from the Mexican border so my fears are only exponential. I also do NOT have all of my mods insured. The rates would be that of an exotic sports car.

All we can do is make it as hard as possible for the thief. Typically if they have to spend more than 5 minutes trying to get your rig, they will bail.
          1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Kill Switch Installed!! Thanks Ted for the kick start...your help was appreciated. I installed a simple n/o n/c switch and tied into one leg of the ASD Relay (I had 2 relays to pick from....ASD or Fuel Pump. I pick the ASD for the simple reason ... the JEEP WIIL NOT START AT ALL. Selecting the fuel pump relay the jeep may start and run for a short time) It was as simple as finding the ASD relay (fuse box under the hood) cut one wire, hide the n/o n/c switch within reach while sitting in the drivers seat and wired it all up. The job took a couple hours and I'm ready to drive the jeep again, with a little less fear. Quick note...happened to start a conversation with a retired COP at a Christmas Party last night. He worked Auto Theft for many years....all of his cars have KILL SWITCHES...says if the car wont start in a hurry these dirt bags will move on to the next car. I hope so???

Comment

I suppose the kill switch can't hurt!

I've been thinking about doing that on both of my jeeps.
              [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
              www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Over the years I repaired a huge number of what we called "theft recovery's". Ive seen about every way you can take a car as well as fail taking a car. Not one of the vehicles I had come through the shop had an alarm. Everyone says "no one listens or cares about an alarm going off". I agree but, over 30 years working for GM, more theft jobs than I can count and not one alarm (yes I did look for them). I have an alarm and a kill switch for when im in the sticks. Does that mean it cant be taken, no they can tow it. My devices put the odds better in my favor. I had a vehicle stolen years ago and even though I knew better it didn't have anything protecting it.

Scott
                Come to the dark side.....
                We have Cookies!

Comment

Glad you got it done Ron. Best thing now is that if someone does try to steal it, they'll make enough noise to alert you.
                  God forgives, rocks don't
                  -sons of thunder

Comment

My alarm cost me about 900.00. It guarantees that the thief wont try to steal your vehicle again. They won't be around anymore so how could they?
                    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Working...
                    X