Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ: Finally got the leaking transmission repaired

When the mechanic pulled the trans out of my YJ, He observed the flex plate was full of cracks. This was most likely the cause of the trans front seal leaking. I went online so I could learn what causes the flex plate to fail and I found two possible reasons. Either the engine-transmission alignment was off or the engine was poorly rebuilt. I couldn't find out what in the engine rebuild would cause the flex plate failure.

I have noticed a continuous vibration is now gone and I don't have a clicking sound from the bell housing area when the engine is at a fast idle. I'm hoping that this problem won't come back.

Any thoughts on the flex plate failure?
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

If the engine had the torque converter mounted to the flexplate before it was mated to the transmission, it's a real booger to get the pump flanges aligned properly. Especially if the motor has to be dropped in at a steep angle. With enough bellhousing bolt torque, it can bend and crack the flexplate. Always seat the torque converter into the pump and then bolt the bellhousing to the back of the motor. The torque converter will spin freely to match up the three or four bolt holes to secure the torque converter to the flex plate.
    Last edited by 6spdYJ; 01-16-15, 09:10 PM.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Comment

So how much was the total damage? And where did you sourced the parts?

Comment

Working...
      X