Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only thing other than the cost difference between the 4.3 and 5.0 I went with the 4.3 because it seems that the rear shaft is SUPER short w/the 5.0 ESP if I ever opted for an auto. Not to mention I'd never be able to stop it. I plan to stretch the jeep 7" in the rear but that's probably 2 yrs downline or so and I don't like that short of a rear ds. I think the manual and a 4.3 is a good to great solution for me. Esp since I've been running a stock geared 231 for the past 18 yrs.
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      As far as 4:1 vs. 5:1, going with a 5:1 is a commitment to slow crawling. If you are traveling with a group that mostly has Stock Low range, you are going to be frustrated with a 5:1. When you get to the faster moving areas, you will find that you will want to switch to 4High to keep up. If you mostly travel with folks with 4:1 range, you probably will not notice a need for a change in ratio.
      My atlas shifts smoothly, it's not too big of a deal to stop, go 4-High for easier sections. When it sucks is if you don't know how long it is between obstacles and you leave it in Low range thinking it's close, then half way through an area you should be burning through, you stop and everybody wonders what's going on... just getting into 4-High guys, sorry!
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
        My atlas shifts smoothly, it's not too big of a deal to stop, go 4-High for easier sections. When it sucks is if you don't know how long it is between obstacles and you leave it in Low range thinking it's close, then half way through an area you should be burning through, you stop and everybody wonders what's going on... just getting into 4-High guys, sorry!
        I've ran into this same thing the couple times I've been out. Since mine is still pretty new I have a heck of a time shifting into/out of the low ranges.
        USMC F&AM

Comment

I have run both a lot. I like both.
          Manuals don't stall if the gears are low enough. I have saved myself from rolling several times by stabbing the clutch and rolling back a bit.
          autos are a lot easier, but I actually felt like I had more control with the stick.
          anything other than rocks the auto rules. sand sucks with a stick. so does socal traffic.
          It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Elusive View Post
            sand sucks with a stick. so does socal traffic.
            eh, I don't mind driving in traffic with a stick, I enjoy driving to work. Granted I'm not usually on the 405 or anything like that.
            [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
            www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

you also get a lot more power to the wheels w/a stick. The auto robs you a bit.
              1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

I can throw in a few cents here... My manual is a blast...and maintains a higher level of testosterone and sex appeal when it comes to the ladies. For trails... throw in the 2.71 low range and all is fine... for rocks... throw in the 4.0 low range of the klune and she does just fine...for big rocks when technical slow crawling is needed... throw the TC in low... Klune in low...and tranny in 2nd... and crawl/idle just like an automatic and not have to have a foot on the break or the gas...

Comment

Aw but there is one big difference, between a stick and a auto. Though I run a stick with a crawl box in my Tacoma, which when both are engaged gives me a 12-1 ratio. The difference is that once the stick is engaged there is no give. With the auto you have a stress relieving factor, because you can feel that you have to keep giving it more gas to get over something. Giving you time to think maybe I better back up and try another line.

Comment

Originally posted by 1 Bad F N Z View Post
                    Aw but there is one big difference, between a stick and a auto. Though I run a stick with a crawl box in my Tacoma, which when both are engaged gives me a 12-1 ratio. The difference is that once the stick is engaged there is no give. With the auto you have a stress relieving factor, because you can feel that you have to keep giving it more gas to get over something. Giving you time to think maybe I better back up and try another line.
                    I suppose that's probably easier on axle shafts as well, eh? The 'give' of the torque converter?
                    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

This might be a little tougher to do with a manual, not that anybody would want to.

https://www.facebook.com/streetfx/vi...5510653160112/

Comment

I look smooth with an Auto, and it's less wear and tear on my driveline
                        Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                        Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                        HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

I've always had sticks. Like someone said earlier, I think it made me a better driver in the beginning. With decent axle gears and a 4:1 T-case, or lower. A stick is fine for trails that you drive to, in your jeep. I've always liked, that I could hit the clutch, and roll out of something, or thru something, if need be. Now that I own a buggy, and started tackling much harder trails, I am ready to swap out my 5spd, for an auto. The level of control required, is only available, with an auto. A manual valve body, in an auto is a great upgrade.
                          It was like that when I got here.

Comment

In my idea manual would be great for rock crawling. And for mud and trail rides, auto tranny would be fun for sure.

Comment

Yea with my experience driving a manual is lot more fun, but when you come right down to it I've gotta say auto is the only way to go. I mainly run the Rubicon trail...I live very close to it. Its definitely a rock crawlers paradise.
                              Last edited by Jeeper Creeper; 05-12-15, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X