Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: Gearing for the TF999 and 35's

So I got my new toy and wanted to gear it but I having a time finding the answer. 94 YJ 4.0 with the 3 speed auto currently has 3.07 but to go to 35's am I gonna want to go 4.10 or 4.56. Is it gonna scream on the highway too much with the 4.56's? It probably wont see the trail a whole bunch (as much as I can escape the kids)
    “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
    -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

4.30 would be ideal, not available though, so you are pretty much stuck with 4.56

Comment

I have a scrambler with a 4.0, 999, and 4.10 gears with 36" tires. its perfect.
      some axles do have a 4.27 gear option (dana 44 from an izusu rodeo in one example)
      if you can find someone selling their 4 cylinder yj axles, they will have 4.10's in them and swap easily... probably the cheapest way for you to regear.
      It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Good point Chris. Is there a difference between 4.10 and 4.11 gears? Thats what I'm finding looking up parts betweem the front D30 and Ford 8.8 which I plan on putting in the back.

Comment

Not answering for Chris, but my understanding is that the number is actually a divisor. Basically you take the number of teeth on the ring gear, divide by the pinion gear. I think the difference between 4.10 and 4.11 might be for different axles that have different sizes but a very similar ratio of teeth.

Please correct me if I'm wrong because this is what I thought, but I have no idea where I read that or if there's any validity to it.
          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

4.10, 4.11, 4.09 are all the same as far as your drivetrain cares. There is plenty of slack between front axle backlash, u-joints, t-case chain or gears, more u-joints and rear axle backlash. It was common for OEM's to use 4.10 in front and 4.09 in back and vice-verse. At the extreme 4.09 vs 4.11, the difference is less than 1/2 of one percent. Up to 2 percent is acceptable according to some builders - and even that could be compensated by tire diameter differences. Not that you would want to, but you could.
            God forgives, rocks don't
            -sons of thunder

Comment

Thanx guys. I found a D30 w 411's and an 8.8 w 410's each axle costing less than just labor to gear them :tongue:. And so it Begins......

Comment

Working...
              X