Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAM Gear Question

Aside from QRZ and EHam does anyone have a suggestion on a place to find a solid and (key part) inexpensive U/V/HF mobile? I don't need a lot of power out of it, but I can't see spending $1000 on a mobile rig to put in a vehicle I routinely beat on.
    USMC F&AM

Since you have HF listed there, I presume you're general or extra class? Not many people use HF in Jeeps that I know of. Most go with a VHF/UHF radio that's in the $300-500 range.

I know my neighbor loves the Yaesu all band, all mode he's got in his truck, but I think it's around $1k. I'm not sure you'll find an HF mobile for too much less. If you do, share with us!
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I will keep looking. The radio your neighbor has is the one I was looking at this morning, just under 1k. I'll be upgrading my license before the end of the year so that I don't have to study an entire new pool of questions. Plus, I really just want to know that I can talk (most) anywhere and be legal.
      USMC F&AM

Comment

Well if you find anything, let me know. It seems if you want to hang out with the "old guys of ham" you can come across deals. My neighbor that I previously mentioned is always telling me about somebody cleaning out a garage and for $500 he bought a bunch of gear. He got a couple nice Kenwood radios and power supplies last time. Other than that, I think your best bet is the places you originally mentioned, keeping an eye out on the classifieds. I think my first mobile radio came from QRZ's classifieds.
        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Ya, given my schedule and all that I have going on if I try to add in hanging out with the old guys of HAM, my wife may kill me. There, it's in writing; just in case I come up missing.
          USMC F&AM

Comment

I am selling my Yaesu all band all mode FT-847 Earth station if you are interested. While it COULD be used in a mobile application I would not reccomend it. However if you are looking for a go everywhere do anything rig this is it...MATT

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/135
            "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Well, I finally found a deal and a good setup. I'm going to be running a FT-100D all band, all mode. R&L has a dual band Jetstream antenna for cheap, so I'll use it for U/VHF needs with a Workman 5 pack (Hamstick copies) for HF needs while mobile. I'm putting up a G5 wire antenna at the house for HF at home with the same radio on a power supply.

I got a smoking buy on the radio. Everything works on it. Got the radio and the power supply for the house for $350. Woo! Can't wait to get it all setup at home and in the Jeep.

I'm mostly just wanting the mobile HF to have some fun on the longer road trips when I'm by myself. The 2M calling frequency never seems to have TOO much going on.
              USMC F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by Matt2001TJ View Post
                I am selling my Yaesu all band all mode FT-847 Earth station if you are interested. While it COULD be used in a mobile application I would not reccomend it. However if you are looking for a go everywhere do anything rig this is it...MATT

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/135
                That's a heck of a radio, but more than I really wanted to spend (Jeeps and Golf are already too expensive) and I really wanted something small to use mobile.
                USMC F&AM

Comment

You could always look at something like a handheld (FT-60, Baofeng, etc) with a better rig mounted antenna and external mic/speaker if you just need on-trail communication and not lots of power. You can get pretty far with 5W and a good antenna. Or look at a dual-band mobile unit like a FT-7900 which is < $300.

Comment

I have a Boateng that I plan to now dedicate to strickly a backpacking rig or just general use. I'll use the FT100D for anything mobile.
                    USMC F&AM

Comment

Old thread I know, though I just wanted to say that I'm very pleased with my Yaesu FT-891. Bought it last month.

Comment

Originally posted by chad1 View Post
                        Old thread I know, though I just wanted to say that I'm very pleased with my Yaesu FT-891. Bought it last month.
                        The FT-891 is a nice rig. I used one a couple months ago in a mobile application in a campground using a end fed wire and worked three stations out of NY and one in the Dominican Republic. Great radio.
                        "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Working...
                        X