This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Rainbow Basin & Inscription Canyon

Looking for something to do between the end of King of the Hammers and the start of the Super Bowl? Join Jason and myself on an exploratory run to Rainbow Basin and Inscription Canyon Petroglyphs (northwest of Barstow) on Saturday, February 6. Meet in the parking lot of the BLM Barstow Field Office (1 mile south of I-15 on Barstow Road) at 9:30 am.

This should be an easy run with an optional (difficult) hill climb to the top of Opal Mountain. The weather should be nice. Bring lunch.

[ROLL]684[/ROLL]
    Last edited by Russ Chung; 01-24-16, 12:49 PM.
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Patty & I were up there last weekend. The County just graded the road to and through to the end of the one-way road.

Steve
    All slow and no show

Comment

put me down for a very possible maybe. I haven't been out for a bit.

Scott
      Come to the dark side.....
      We have Cookies!

Comment

I'm interested. Are you camping somewhere Friday night, or just driving out Saturday morning?
        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I might be interest in this one. I'll know more later in the week.
          Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
            I'm interested. Are you camping somewhere Friday night, or just driving out Saturday morning?
            Mat, I'm just planning to drive up there on Saturday morning and then head home after we finish the run. I don't want to miss Superbowl 50 on Sunday!
            KI6MLU

Comment

Ok. I'm planning on camping somewhere with a friend that will be riding shotgun. Depending on where we end up camping I might want to meet up closer to the trail head instead of backtracking to the BLM Barstow office. We'll be driving home after the run as well, soas to not miss the big game.

Comment

Mat, there is a campground at Owl Canyon, adjacent to the entrance to Rainbow Basin.
                http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/barstow/basin.html
                Here is a link to a trip report that Doug posted a few years ago:
                http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...=rainbow+basin

Monitor 146.55 simplex and we'll give you a call when we are airing down at the trailhead.
                Last edited by Russ Chung; 01-26-16, 01:45 PM.
                KI6MLU

Comment

The attached .GPX file shows the BLM Barstow Office and the planned route for this run.
                  MJR Rainbow Basin Pre-Run.GPX
                  KI6MLU

Comment

Thanks for the information Russ. Owl Canyon is one of the campgrounds I was looking at. Another option would be couger buttes area, then I'd be south and would still meet you at the BLM office.

As for the trail itself, Tiffany and I went to Rainbow Basin & Inscription Canyon the year Doug led that trip for IDTT: http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...l=1#post187804

Comment

I am a maybe.
                      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Got room for a former Jeeper, in a mall crawling SUV?
                        I don't have ANY articulation, but I have true low range transfer case, 33's and rear locker

Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                        Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                        HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Nathan,

is that a Montero or a Rover?? As long as it has places to attach a tow strap or winch line, we can get you through! J/K, it's an easy trail. The only difficult part is an optional side trip to the summit of Opal Mountain. Except for that hill climb, the rest of the route can be done in 2WD but you need high clearance because of the usual ruts and dips found on desert trails.

Haven't you been out there before?

Russ
                          KI6MLU

Comment

Russ... why are you such a good person? If I am up and running I am in for sure! Thanks for taking the lead on this.

B

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung View Post
                              Nathan,

is that a Montero or a Rover?? As long as it has places to attach a tow strap or winch line, we can get you through! J/K, it's an easy trail. The only difficult part is an optional side trip to the summit of Opal Mountain. Except for that hill climb, the rest of the route can be done in 2WD but you need high clearance because of the usual ruts and dips found on desert trails.

Haven't you been out there before?

Russ
                              It's a Montero! Obama's new economy took my Rover...and my Jeep!
                              Nope, never been to Inscription Canyon. Sounds pretty cool. I haven't done much immediately north of the 15 except for Kingston Wash and Colosseum mine (which is very cool btw).

Here is a pic of the Monty at the bottom of the Colosseum mine:

It's due north of the solar farm at Primm.
                              Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                              Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                              HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Working...
                              X