Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• locksmith help with my jeep

This is an almost three year old jeep. But for some reason the door does not unlock with the manual key? Do you think calling a locksmith will prove to be too expensive?

Originally posted by kimselly456 View Post
    This is an almost three year old jeep. But for some reason the door does not unlock with the manual key? Do you think calling a locksmith will prove to be too expensive?
    Do you have remote unlock? Does it work? If not, have you replaced the battery in the remote?
    Does the key turn in the lock cylinder? If it doesn't turn, the next thing I would do is spray with graphite spray or WD-40 before calling a locksmith.
    If the key does turn but doesn't unlock the door, then the problem is that the linkage between the lock cylinder and the door latch is broken or has become disconnected. In that case, I would have a mechanic look at the linkage instead of a locksmith.
    If it's less than three years old, is it still under warranty?
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Comment

It's very rare that I lock my doors (rare that I even have the doors on the jeep), but I always have to jiggle the key for about 30 seconds before it unlocks. It locks easily with a simple turn, but unlock always has to jiggle for a bit, on both doors.

If yours is a soft-top, you can probably get into the jeep by removing part of the soft top. I'd open up the door panels and look at the lock linkage, see if something is bent.
      [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
      www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Working...
      X