Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just changed filter...and it seems to be acting up the same way everytime. I can predict when its going to do its stupid thing...which leads me to a sensor
    Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Have a psi test done on your fuel pump.
      If the injectors don't 'see' 'X' amount of fuel psi. They won't 'fire' the fuel into the cylinder.
      Also-Check your CPS(crank position sensor)wiring, and for dirt build up.
      LG
      Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

I had the same problem... we thought it was a fuel pump... swapped it out.. had the same problem... replace the crank positioning sensor... CPS.. i bet you lunch that is the problem....

Comment

If an engine runs fine under full load the fuelpump has adequate volume and pressure it's that simple part throttle stumbling issues are not fuel pump related

Comment

OK...I just replaced all those parts in an attempt to fix my no start issue that finally was resolved a few weeks ago. New CPS, cam shaft position sensor, fuel pump, fuel filter, coil, wires, rotor, cap, and plugs.
            So I pulled the o2 front bank sensor out. Had some rust build up on it, cleaned it, and blew out the little orfices, and tried it again. Now, voltage when engine first starts was around 4-5 volts on sensor return wire. Drove it for about 10 min with light throttle, and measured again and had 1.7 vts. Drove it up hwy for a few miles which has a few slight hills and about the third hill it started to act up, but not nearly as drastic. Crested the top of the hill and let up a little on gas pedal to just cruise it and slight stumbling went away. Pulled over and saw 1.5 volts on o2 return wire to ecm. Turned around and came home which is primarily down hill and never had an issue. Saw 1.7 volts on return wire. Pulled into house,and read it one more time and saw 1.5 volts. When I saw the issue before by just sitting in yard holding idle up at 2500 rpm and watching volts, I noticed it would start stumbling when the volts went below 1.3 volts. I'm thinking that on the gas creates enough heat on the sensor to drop the voltage below 1.5volts. If I just cruise it with a light pedal, that the heat in the exhaust at o2 sensor doesn't drop that voltage out of the low point that seems to cause the lean misfire symptom. Does that seem realistic or am I chasing an issue in the wrong direction? I agree with it not being a fuel pump issue since I have good throttle response under full throttle even when it was stumbling at lower rpm and cruising speed
            Last edited by kirkandsylvia; 05-07-16, 07:04 PM.
            Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

And vwteppi, I'd take that lunch bet but I'd say its a little unfair since I just replaced it.

Comment

Anything over 80% throttle the O2 sensor/ feedback system is bypassed.

Disconnect O2 sensor and drive it problem gone, you are headed in the right direction

Comment

It will run without o2 sensor?

Comment

Sure, it will run in open loop. Just don't keep driving it that way, will kill the cats in the long run, just use it as a diagnostic aid

Comment

Done. Disconnected the o2 sensor and wallah... Problem went away. Thank you all especially AW12345 for the advice. Getting new o2 sensor tomorrow when I'm in Flagstaff.

Comment

Coat the threads on the new sensor with copper anti-seize before install.
                        Glad you found it.
                        Way to go AW12345!
                        LG
                        Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

It is most likely the O2 sensor, atleast it's determined that the fuel feedback system is at fault

Comment

Its strange that it didn't trigger an engine check light. To throw the system in such a frenzy seems like ecm would have picked it up. Oh well...should be fixed in a few days when new sensor shows up

Comment

I will still take you to lunch when we meet. I don't mind taking a Jeep guy out for lunch! Glad you found the problem!

B

Comment

I have had similar issues on both a ford expedition and my spare 96 xj. On the expedition it would just randomnly start dying like you describe. Sometimes a little playing with the throttle or restarting the car would have it running again. The problem ended up being the egr solenoid. Could be your issue. On my 96 xj, after a few failed fixes, ended up being the o2 sensor on the lower cat. The clip that fixes the sensor wire to the belly of the jeep broke and the wire snapped on the drive shaft. Ignition issues can be so many things, good luck

Comment

Working...
                                X