Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Trackbar Mount Repair

On my home from Sunday's Adopt-a-trail workday on 3N93 Holcomb Creek, I noticed that my steering wheel wasn't centered. When I stopped to check my steering linkage, I discovered a problem with my front trackbar mount bracket:

Other than the off-center steering wheel, I didn't notice any other problems with my steering or suspension, so I continued home--slowly, in the right lane. I wasn't sure if this was repairable or should be replaced. I sent this picture to Kurt at Ram Offroad and I also searched the web for "Jeep front trackbar repair". I discovered that Jeep considers the bracket to be a "non serviced" item, so it is not an available part. I looked at aftermarket replacements, but they were customized for different trackbars and would require the replacement of my Currie trackbar. Kurt texted me and said it could be repaired; I was also encouraged by finding a web post of a repair of a bracket that was damaged worse than mine.

I drove to Ram Offroad in Phelan. After cleaning the dirt off the bracket, I found a third, smaller crack in the bracket. I stop drilled the three cracks and then Kurt went to work. He ground a notch in the two big cracks so that the weld would hold better.

Then he went to work with the welder:

To strengthen the bracket, he fabricated a reinforcement and welded it to the factory bracket.

I want to give Kurt a big THANK YOU for taking care of this repair for me!
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

I did just that years ago

Comment

Wow, driving with that is a little scary sounding. Glad Kurt got you taken care of!
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I've been meaning to make a brace for mine, they do have a life span when you wheel them!
        [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
        www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Ahem, my Jeep doesn't have a trackbar, says that guy on a leaf sprung Jeep. :hide:

I'll go away now.

Comment

Great work Kurt, beats buying a johnny joint trackbar and bracket for 300 bucks. Russ, glad you're back on the road.

Comment

See this more and more. Older Jeeps getting wheeled hard. Who knew? Glad to help out Russ.
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
              X