Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organized Event: Fun in the Desert 2016

I attended the annual Fun in the Desert event held by Victor Valley 4Wheelers at Johnson's Valley OHV area with my Nephew (his first time) and it was a blast.

We arrived Friday afternoon at Mean's Dry Lake, unloaded GIJeepN, and headed to the Safety inspection. Inspection took about 2 minutes with the club member asking if we had a Fire Extinguisher, CB, First Aid Kit, Lockers, etc...

After the safety inspection we headed into the registration area to sign in and select our trail (sledgehammer). I was pre-registered so this went really quick as they already had the SWAG-Bag ready and waiting.

The trail I chose was Sledge Hammer (go big or go home, right). lol. Now, GIJeepN is a 1997 TJ with a stock 6cly and has a 5.5 inch lift using Rough Country Long Arm Upgrade Kit, 35x12.5R15 Baja Claw Tires on eaton 32bolt beadlock rims, a 4:1 transfercase, 4.56:1 pumpkin gears, an ARB locker up front in the original Dana 30 with new shafts, and a Detroit Locker in the rear Dana 44 with 10 factory shafts and trail communication handled by an Icom 706MKIIG with the MARS mod and a Hy-Q 4/80 screwdriver antenna. Since I had completed the trail at the 2009 even with no breakage and slightly tweeked front axel splines I was confident that I could complete the trail this time around as well.

The next day we lined up after a breakfast of pancakes and sausages with Chuck (the original designer of the trail) in the lead. He looked at GIJeepN and asked what size of tires I had. I responded with "35's", then he asked what front axel I had. I responded with "Dana 30". He told me that it was a pretty week axel and he didn't know if I was going to be able to make it. After he looked at the other 9 vehicles (all of which had 1ton axels in both ends and at least 38" tires) I asked him if he was going to exclude me to which he responded "No, Why" then chuckled as he went back to his vehicle.

We headed out to the trail with me riding number 4 spot. Once we got through the first trail obstacle the last three vehicles ended up turning around due to one of them breaking a steering box. The rest of us headed up the hill for our meeting with the Mailbox.

In 2009 I remember the trail being rough, but this time it was exceptionally rough. Massive Boulders, Tight Turns, and lots of dust. Just before the plaque the rig two behind me took a strap to get over an obstacle and Chuck had to take a strap to get back down an obstacle since he took the wrong line. We made it passed the plaque, and then stopped as the vehicle in front of me had a giant rock behind his left front 40" tire preventing him from backing up and another giant rock in front of his right rear 40" tire preventing him from going forward. Out came the High lift jack to lift the front tire up enough to be pulled over the rock by with a winch, then lift the rear tire to do the same thing. A quick winching and he was over it. Since GIJeepN is narrower then his I was able to snake my way through with out a winch or strap. Yea Me. lol. Two obstacles later is was my turn. Too much dust, and not enough traction and I was stopped. After backing up a few times I hear the dreaded sound of Air escaping from a punctured tire. lol. no problem, out comes the plug kit 14 plugs later it is holding air and we are making forward progress.

Lunch was at the Mailbox and 7 vehicles made it that far. My tire with the plugs had held up so far. I even had a few of the guys comment on how smooth I made the trail look while going over the obstacles. nice ego boost. lol.

After lunch we headed out hitting the last two obstacles (both of which have bypasses) unfortunately on the final obstacle the 14 plugs gave up their hold and let loose. A quick stop to change to the spare and we were on our way.

On our way down the final sand hill the Cherokee behind me had his battery blow up so he high tailed it back to camp, and the JK two in front of me had his electronic fan die. fortunately , a quick tightening of his battery cables and he was right as rain and heading down the hill.

We did some playing and exploring and made it back to camp by 3pm.

After dinner I got lots of questions on the antenna, so I fired up the radio and was chatting with a radio operator in Pennsylvania on 100 watts. They all looked impressed. lol I was too.

Click the link for the pictures

http://s1245.photobucket.com/user/Dr...20the%20Desert
    Last edited by DriverJC; 10-13-16, 10:20 AM. Reason: Changed link to photos

GREAT trip report and THANK YOU for the detail and time it took to write this, and add the pictures :wink:
    LG
    Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

From your report and pictures, it sounds/looks like you had a great time. You had a great leader in "The Father of the Hammers".
      Rich

Comment

Seen it many a time, where the 1 ton axles make the vehicle so wide that they struggle in the tight stuff. Where a narrower vehicle walks right through it. Kevin.

Comment

Sounds like it was fun. Nice pics. I was gonna go this year but the wife was sick. I know the tri tip was good because Eddie cooked it. How was the raffle this year...?
          Last edited by Matt2001TJ; 10-24-16, 04:43 AM.
          "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Raffle was great. They gave away a ton of gear and stuff. lol. We had a blast and are looking forward to going next year.

Comment

Working...
            X