Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canine Distemper from San Bernardino city animal shelter dogs

Please be aware that several dogs adopted out recently from San Bernardino City animal shelter have been diagnosed with Canine Distemper and have had to be euthanized. This includes our little friend, Gunner. He was a little Black Lab/German Shorthair Pointer with the most people-loving disposition. We adopted him on January 11, 2017. Although he was very thin, he did not show any outward signs of illness. On the 12th, he was sent - contracturally - to Advanced Pet Care in San Bernardino. We had no choice in this as ALL dogs adopted by the shelter MUST be neutered there (by contract with the city). To make a long story short, he was infected with Canine Distemper. We don't know if he caught it at the pound or at the vet's office. Unfortunately he also had pneumonia and during x-rays our vet found he had a herniated diaphragm which had compressed his lungs. This poor little guy didn't stand a chance. He was very deeply loved for the short time that we had him.
    I am not writing this to slander either business or anyone at either location. I just want everyone to be aware of the risks involved right now of adopting from this facility or possibly having your pet seen in this vet's office.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Sorry to hear the sad news, thank you for sharing the info.

Comment

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. This was definitely a heartbreaker.
      I have spoken with administrators with both the animal shelter as well as the vet's office. Both have been very receptive and attentive to the details of our case. It will just be a matter of time to determine when the risk is lower. I am certain both the shelter and the vet's office will be extra vigilant for a while.
      While our vet was diagnosing our little friend, he saw enough symptoms to say the probability of Distemper was 50/50. He had the yellow discharge from the nose and was starting to discharge from the eyes. He also had shallow breathing and a cough. The missing indicators were no vomiting, diarrhea or fever (although he was a bit high).
      Right after we had him put down, both of our adult dogs started coughing. Needless to say, nerves were immediately on edge. We have been treating them for kennel cough and they have been responding pretty well. We have been watching very closely for any other symptoms, but so far (thank God!) they have been clear.
      Looking back on it, it stands to reason that the shallow breathing was caused by his lungs being compressed by his intestines that had pushed through the hernia. The yellow discharge was likely the infection from Pneumonia. His eye discharge may have been "sleepies" to the extreme. He couldn't lay down toward the end because his lungs were already compressed. The poor guy almost always fell asleep sitting up.
      Please don't let this keep anyone from adopting from here or anywhere else. Use our experience to educate yourselves and others so any potential problems can be addressed or avoided.
      -sons of thunder

Comment

Canine Distemper from San Bernardino city animal shelter dogs

So sorry to hear this!
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Tears are rolling for your fur-family loss.
          You will meet again at Rainbow Bridge. I have many waiting for me now.
          LG(Dog lover)
          Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

http://ktla.com/2017/02/02/san-berna...mper-outbreak/
            -sons of thunder

Comment

So sad!
              LG

Comment

Amazon donated $22,000 of food & supplies to help. Thank you to Amazon! Unfortunately, it looks like the mayor & police chief used the media coverage as a photo-op - disgusting... The whistle blower should be promoted to Director.
                -sons of thunder

Comment

And who ever ran that shelter should be in jail! :2:
                  LG

Comment

Working...
                  X