Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY JEEP ROCKS! But I need a dash cam

Seems my Jeep gets as much urban abuse as trail and yesterday the tradition continued.
    Here's an example from the way back: http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...ter?highlight=

So I'm traveling near LAX NB Sepulveda Blvd at Westchester Parkway (Old Fart knows the location) and some knucklehead is attempting to run the red making a right turn into me, I don't think so. It looked like it was stopping as I passed but then it ran into the passenger rear moving the Jeep sideways. By the sound of the debris hitting the ground and what I saw of it's left front corner as it passed me I was sure this time I suffered some damage. Chase ensued, it was not pulling over. It ran a red making another right turn, I followed trying to get a picture of the license plate, it ran the next red which turned green as I got to it then a quick right before the next red into a residential neighbor at high speeds running through two way stop signs with no regards for anything, this person was running from something so I stopped fearing I might be involved in another accident. I pulled over to find NO DAMAGE again to my Jeep aside from some scuff marks on the tire (think it may have tangled with my Rock-it-Man bumper too). Not so for the other car, took out the driver side headlight assembly, part of the bumper and fender. Their shit was F'ed up. If I only had a dash cam. Anyone have recommendations? It needs to be universal so I can move it between different cars. Maybe even start a new category, "From The Dash Cam" could be interesting. Love My Jeep!
    Last edited by Black & Tan TJ; 05-10-17, 12:16 PM.

Wow, that sucks. I'll be up your way next Tuesday, hopefully something similar doesn't happen.
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Sure hope you didn't trigger any 'red-light' cameras.
      Know the area well, as a kid I was a 'ramp-rat' at LAX for WAL.
      LG
      Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Glad you're ok. I'd be willing to guess the other driver has a jerry brown driver's licence but no insurance - or legal residence - or title to the vehicle... But since that may offend some people, I won't say that.
        make sure to check the axle shaft to see if it's bent.
        God forgives, rocks don't
        -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
          Sure hope you didn't trigger any 'red-light' cameras.
          Know the area well, as a kid I was a 'ramp-rat' at LAX for WAL.
          LG
          No red light cameras in that area, I don't think Los Angeles installs them but some of the surrounding cities do. I've been in the area most of my life too. Hit and runs don't happen, it's hit and GTF out-a-he.

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
          Glad you're ok. I'd be willing to guess the other driver has a jerry brown driver's licence but no insurance - or legal residence - or title to the vehicle... But since that may offend some people, I won't say that.
          make sure to check the axle shaft to see if it's bent.
          Didn't see any stickers but it was a Cali plate though. I'll probably see the car again since it seemed to know the neighbor well, all I want is a picture of that car, sorta of a trophy. My Jeep has had its share of testing the crumple zone, 2 maybe 3 times for me and 1 for each kid all with the same results, no damage to the Jeep (love it!). I did check the axle shaft (heat treated) and its good, thanks for checking.

Comment

I have a Uniden dash cam that I use following people on investigations. Its 1080p and will get a license plate if they are withing 15-20 feet of you. It just plugs into your lighter and mounts to your windshield. I bought it on Amazon like 2 years ago for $120 I believe, and other than some sun-fading on the casing I've had zero issues. There are a ton of them out there so just look at the reviews. I can recommend the Uniden with a clean conscience. Just don't get the cheapest one you can find, my boss has gone through a couple of cheapies (under $80) already.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronappel21 View Post
              I have a Uniden dash cam that I use following people on investigations. Its 1080p and will get a license plate if they are withing 15-20 feet of you. It just plugs into your lighter and mounts to your windshield. I bought it on Amazon like 2 years ago for $120 I believe, and other than some sun-fading on the casing I've had zero issues. There are a ton of them out there so just look at the reviews. I can recommend the Uniden with a clean conscience. Just don't get the cheapest one you can find, my boss has gone through a couple of cheapies (under $80) already.
              Thanks Aaron, I do remember you tell me you used one. Uniden's been around for ever so your probably right about this one. I'm also looking for one that captures sound for my colorful narrative. During my work commute I see some pretty interesting things including drivers unable to drive on their side of the street so when we connect all I'll have to say is "let's see what the dash cam captured" dumb ass. I see some really cool stuff too, a seagull circling an intersection dodging cars and trucks inches above waiting for that moment t swoop down for that object in the street. I could see it looking into stopped cars consistently adjusting wings and tail to maintain a very tight circle (La Brea and Jefferson intersection) barely missing passing cars just waiting then swoop in pick-up and gone. Remember the bag in American Beauty, like that, this lasted at least a minute or so and something I've yet to see again but next time I'll have a Dash Cam!

Cheers!

Comment

Blackvue is a bit pricey but the quality of the video and images is superb.

Comment

Originally posted by chad1 View Post
                  Blackvue is a bit pricey but the quality of the video and images is superb.
                  That's what I'm looking for, GPS and all the bells. Pricey but looks worth it.

Comment

That's a great idea.

Comment

Working...
                    X