Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 Grand Cherokee WJ Cooling problem

Ok so my wifes WJ is running a little hot which I understand is pretty common with all the 4.0 6 cyl no matter what body or year. Trying to figure out the best way to get it to run cooler. Options i have heard would be to add a pusher fan or two up front but only have room for a 10" maybe 2 side by side. The other option is adding louvers in the hood. Any suggestions on which way to go and what works best? Thanks for any advice.

Louvers don't really help the heat while running. I put them on my 2000 xj because the redesigned intake channeled the heat from the exhaust to the number 3 injector. Works great for that but has not affected the running temp. If you need to add a fan than there is something else wrong. They ran great stock with the fans they had. How is your heater core? Have you ever used stop leak for any length of time? I ask because I am guilty of using it to string my leaking heater core along. I was lazy and put a new radiator in without replacing the heater core and now (as of about a month ago) my engine has been flirting with 220 on streets and driving around the mountain. If you want to start cheap and nothing is leaking, flush the cooling system completely and test your thermostat. If you want to go the fan route just wire a switch into your existing electric fan so you can turn it on all the time on hot days.

Comment

Bought this with a 3 ring binder full of receipts. Has had multiple fans, radiator, thermostat etc. I have not found a receipt for the heater core however during the winter it was putting out some great heat with no sign of leaking. I know that the fan and radiator are brand new in the past year since i installed them and the fan is working properly. Only addition was an ARB bumper and a 20" LED light bar. I removed the light bar yesterday and it seemed to run a little cooler. Didn't think that it would block that much airflow but it might have blocked just enough. It sat right at 210 around town with the outside temp being 105, climbed a long grade and she got up to the next hash mark on the gauge, but cooled down once i got back on flat ground.

Comment

Your running temp sounds about on par with mine. I've been reading about an HD zj clutch fan upgrade. I'm not sure which fan is stock on the wj but for an xj it's supposed to move a lot of air and lowers summer running temp to around 190-200. It's loud as hell and effects mpg a bit. From what I've seen it cools dangerously low in winter environments though. I have had the heater core and ac evap in a box in my closet for six months now so it's high time I tackle the job. If that doesn't work I may try the clutch fan. I don't want my wheeling to be restricted by weather so I'd like to handle this asap. Check out the HD fan and see if that will work for your wj. We may be looking too much into this though as 105 is hard on any 4.0 L

Comment

You can upgrade the fan or get a mech fan for the clutch.

Comment

Working...
          X