Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheep's Bridge, Tonto National Forest, AZ

Sheep’s Bridge is a footbridge that crosses the Verde River approximately 25 miles northeast of Cave Creek, AZ (about 50 miles northeast of Phoenix, AZ). Shepherds use the bridge to move their flocks between the high country and the desert.

On July 4, 2007, I departed Cave Creek with a friend, Zack, who has a lifted Rubi. We headed north on FR-24 for approximately 20 miles, then east on FR-269 for about 10 miles to reach the Verde River. The roads are graded, dirt roads and can be driven in 2WD. There are no vehicular bridges across this section of the river; you have to ford the river. First, you need to check the Salt River Project Daily Water Report.
    http://www.srpwater.com/dwr/report.asp?
    Normal river flow at this point (Verde River at Tangle Creek) is 107 cubic feet per second. A Jeep can safely get across if the river flow is less than about 200 cubic feet per second. On July 4, the average flow was 57 cubic feet per second. I waded across the river to check for rocks, holes or dropoffs. The water at the ford was knee deep.

After crossing the river, we headed south along the east side of the river on FR-479 for about 10 miles and crossed back over to the west side of the river just below Horseshoe Reservoir. According to the Salt River Project, 100 cubic feet per second was being released from the reservoir.

After crossing over to the west side of the river, we continued about six miles on FR-205 (Horseshoe Dam Road) until we reached pavement at FR-19 (Bartlett Dam Road). Then it was about 10 miles back to Cave Creek. The 50 mile loop took about four hours.
    Last edited by Russ Chung; 07-12-07, 12:08 AM.
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Thanks for the photos and write-up Russ!

That looks like a really neat area! How was the weather?

EDIT: And bugs?
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
      Thanks for the photos and write-up Russ!

That looks like a really neat area! How was the weather?

EDIT: And bugs?
      FR-24 climbs to about 4500 feet elevation, where it was only about 100 degrees F on July 4. Sheeps Bridge is at about 2000 feet elevation, where it was about 110 degrees F. Notice I kept my doors and windows on so I could run my A/C. Not many bugs in the middle of the day, although a wasp landed on my shirt while I was wading across the river. I suppose there would be more bugs around sunset.
      KI6MLU

Comment

Looks like a great adventure, Russ. Interesting pics as always. Were you allowed to cross the bridge? Do you have any GPX tracks?
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by sarah View Post
          Looks like a great adventure, Russ. Interesting pics as always. Were you allowed to cross the bridge? Do you have any GPX tracks?
          Yes, you can walk across the bridge. I chose instead to stay inside my Jeep where it was air conditioned!

Unfortunately, I accidentally erased my GPS track log If anyone else goes out there, please try to get the GPS coordinates of the river fording points. I understand that the reeds and brush can grow and hide the entry/exit points.
          KI6MLU

Comment

Wow, nice pis and write up. What's that wet looking stuff? We need rain in Ca!!!!
            Check out .

Comment

Cool pics. I went there last year. That bridge is longer than it looks. I almost gave up half way. Also took my Jeep.

Comment

Working...
              X