Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave84cj7 View Post
    How well does a unit like that hold up to the bumps and vibration offroad?
    Well that's the reason I bought this GPS. It's waterproof, dust proof, and shock resistant. They claim it will take the abuse of a Baja race. In fact a lot of trophy trucks use the same GPS, but larger without any issues. The mount vibrates on sharp little bumps, but handles quite well on larger bumps. I'll see how it does this weekend on the Mojave Road.
    :thumbs_up - :thumbs_do We'll see.
    WILL WORK FOR JEEP PARTS!!!

Comment

:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up I give it three thumbs up out of two. I really like this GPS and am glad I bought it. I can't compare it with any others that are comparable with it, because I haven't tried any others besides my Garmin Etrex but I think it's definitely worth it!
      Last edited by jkcrazyjim2; 03-21-08, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
        My 376C (378 above is a typo) should be here this week

Need to upload all the waypoints from my 76, I'm curious to see how close all my Lake Powell ones are. The included Inland Lakes mapping with the 376C is for "full pool" - Powell is down almost 100'
        Did you end up getting this unit? I'm in the market and this unit is looking pretty appealing. I would like to know how you like it.
        Check out .

Comment

Love it -have mounts for 3 vehicles plus the boat.
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY
          You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Cool thanks. I really like my 60CS but I want a bigger screen to see more area so I'm trying to find one that has the same features.
            Check out .

Comment

About my 4th Garmin. Moved up from a 76 to this.
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY
              You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by jkcrazyjim2 View Post
                I've been using a Garmin etrex Vista Cx, but I wanted a bigger screen. So I just bought the Lowrance Baja 540c for the Jeep. I bought the topo software for it and will be trying it out next week on the Mojave road. I like it so far not being on the trail yet, but will know for sure how I like it after this next weekend.
                I have the Baja 540c in my Jeep, but it was lobotomized by the previous owner (he kept his memory card), so I need to get this one set up properly. What topo software are you using? Did you look to see what all would work with this? I'd like to use Topo 7 if it would work.

The screen on the 540c is amazing, but I'm not finding the menus and functions to be all that intuitive. For example, how many different button presses are required to save a waypoint? and if you want to name it, how do you do that, I don't have a keyboard anywhere....?

As for the questions others asked about it's capablity on the trail, it's totally bomber. This thing was designed for the Baja 1000 racers. The screen is large, the zoom in/zoom out and pan buttons are very easy to use, the buttons themselves are well spaced and quite large, perfect if you are wearing Nomex gloves. The unit is waterproof, dustproof, and vibration proof.

The only thing I don't like about it really is that it's always on. The screen shuts off, but the receiver is always running, so you might want to install a physical kill switch somewhere in the power leads to the battery.

However, on the plus side, since it's always on, it boots up immeadiately and knows right were it's at without delay.
                Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

nwoods, I looked at those but from what I understand you can't load gpx files in to them which would be a problem for me. Great unit and I love the screen but I'm pretty partial to Garmin. This will be my 5th one.
                  Check out .

Comment

I have a LOT to learn, but this morning I googled around to see about what can be done with GPX files and the Lowrance. There is a lot of free conversion software that seems like it can convert the GPX format into something the Baja540 can read.
                    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

gpsbabel will convert pretty much any format of GPS data into pretty much any other format of GPS data. Used it many times, works great! You can even specify certain versions of formats if you have old or finicky software or hardware.
                      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                        I have the Baja 540c in my Jeep, but it was lobotomized by the previous owner (he kept his memory card), so I need to get this one set up properly. What topo software are you using? Did you look to see what all would work with this? I'd like to use Topo 7 if it would work.

The screen on the 540c is amazing, but I'm not finding the menus and functions to be all that intuitive. For example, how many different button presses are required to save a waypoint? and if you want to name it, how do you do that, I don't have a keyboard anywhere....?

As for the questions others asked about it's capablity on the trail, it's totally bomber. This thing was designed for the Baja 1000 racers. The screen is large, the zoom in/zoom out and pan buttons are very easy to use, the buttons themselves are well spaced and quite large, perfect if you are wearing Nomex gloves. The unit is waterproof, dustproof, and vibration proof.

The only thing I don't like about it really is that it's always on. The screen shuts off, but the receiver is always running, so you might want to install a physical kill switch somewhere in the power leads to the battery.

However, on the plus side, since it's always on, it boots up immeadiately and knows right were it's at without delay.
                        I have the map create 7.0, and it works pretty well. The Menu is pretty easy once you get used to it. I'm very happy with this GPS. If you don't have an instruction manual, here's the link for the manual.

http://www.lowrance.com/upload/Lowra...1_12-05-06.pdf

Comment

hey guys, any comments on the Garmin 76 CSx?

Comment

Working...
                          X