Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS unit of preference

I am kind of new to GPS and I bought a Maegellan Crossover. It is neat because it gives typical road information and hiking trail information, which i figure would be handy for jeep trails. I have not been able to confirm its handiness on a full trail, but I do seem to notice that I may not have the best unit for converting GPS info into something usable on the desktop pc.
    I noticed that some of the posts in here look like GPS points from the trail were superimposed on a SBNF map. Not sure if that is a software or a line drawn with the mouse.
    What GPS units do you all use?

For example, if i were to dl one of the .gpx files, i am not sure my device would utilize it effectively. I may need to do more research and investigation of the desktop software it comes with.
    Last edited by jeep-noob; 09-18-07, 04:03 PM.
    2000 XJ, 108k miles
    33's, RE 4.5", 4.56

Originally posted by jeep-noob View Post
    I am kind of new to GPS and I bought a Maegellan Crossover. It is neat because it gives typical road information and hiking trail information, which i figure would be handy for jeep trails. I have not been able to confirm its handiness on a full trail, but I do seem to notice that I may not have the best unit for converting GPS info into something usable on the desktop pc.
    I noticed that some of the posts in here look like GPS points from the trail were superimposed on a SBNF map. Not sure if that is a software or a line drawn with the mouse.

For example, if i were to dl one of the .gpx files, i am not sure my device would utilize it effectively. I may need to do more research and investigation of the desktop software it comes with.

Wow . . . I was thinking about getting GPS but this sounds way too complicated . . . guess I'll just keep adding armor . . . nuts/bolts/steel . . . much simpler!!!:bonk:
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Rick and I have the Garmin GPS Map CSX and it's awesome. We steered away from Magellan because all of their 800#'s go to India - so I can't say I'm familiar with the software you have. What's it called?

I'm sure with any GPS you can do whatever you put your mind to. I recently accomplished geotagging
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by sarah View Post
        ...I recently accomplished geotagging
        I'll be attempting this with MY Garmin GPSMap 60CSx for my upcoming trip to Hawaii! I'll let you know how it goes!
        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Garmin Nuvi 350 w/US Topo 2008 installed...

Cheers! M2

Comment

I recently worked on a GPS review for the Overland Journal, the Maegellen Cross over was included in the test (along with Lowrance, Garmin, DeLorme and Bushnell). I haven't seen the final article (I was a consultant on this article--my articles resume in the Winter), and I can't divulge the final outcome of all the tests or the overall winner.....but I can say that personally, I like the Garmin products, despite their use of proprietary software which is less desirable than say, DeLorme, and the fact that they do not use SD cards....yet.
            olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

I vote Garmin. I have three and they are all Garmin. The one I use the most is the 60CS. Great unit.
              Check out .

Comment

All of mine to date have been Garmin, although I have on occasion hired folks to run the high end Trimbles.

Buying a GPS MAP378 to replace my GPS 76 fairly soon.
                Jeff
                OHV76V
                KG6TY
                You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

I've been experimenting with several on line GPS mapping software. I took some of my saved tracks and imported them into the software. You can then select a topo map, aerial map, and many others types. TopoFusion is a nice one. It will actually let you view in 3D. Cool feature. Do a Google search for GPS mapping and you’ll find a ton.
                  Check out .

Comment

I started out with a Garmin GPS 12. No maps. it was a good intro unit.

Moved up to a Garmin GPS V and I still use it today, although I only keep SBNF trail maps on it due to the 1 hour upload time changing maps.

I owned a Magellen Sport Trak Pro that quit working after 6 months.

Tracy uses a Garmin Map 60CS. It has served us well and I would highly recommend the Map 60CSX to everyone.

As far as mapping software on the units, Garmin and Magellen are proprietary. I do not like Garmin Topo.

GPS Babel (with help from Russ and others) allows me to upload tracks and routes made in National Geographic Topo to the Garmin Map60CS.

GPS Visualizer is a user friendly interface for GPS Babel

EasyGPS is a user friendly program for loading .gpx waypoints into your GPS receiver.

links:
                    http://www.gpsbabel.org/
                    http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/convert
                    http://www.easygps.com/default.asp?rc=213pF

A page full of handy links and GPS information
                    http://www.geocaching.com/waypoints/default.aspx
                    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

My 376C (378 above is a typo) should be here this week

Need to upload all the waypoints from my 76, I'm curious to see how close all my Lake Powell ones are. The included Inland Lakes mapping with the 376C is for "full pool" - Powell is down almost 100'
                      Jeff
                      OHV76V
                      KG6TY
                      You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
                        EasyGPS is a user friendly program for loading .gpx waypoints into your GPS receiver.
                        2x on Easy GPS. Very easy to use.
                        Check out .

Comment

Garmin 60CSx x2
                          97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                          WEB site

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes View Post
                            I recently worked on a GPS review for the Overland Journal, the Maegellen Cross over was included in the test
                            I LOVE Overland Journal. It's so cool to have someone on this forum who is a part of that. By FAR my favorite magazine.

I bumped into Scott a few weeks ago at the off road show in Pomona, and he said that the Crossfire did not 'win' the review, but it was his favorite for general purpose use.

I just bought one last Friday and took it with me to Nightmare Gulch. That particular trail was not on the map, but the topo seemed accurate, and I created a breadcrumb track. I haven't loaded the software yet to extract or load info into the unit, but it seems useful. I am a bit disappointed with it's street navigation mode, but after using my wife's Nissan Armada's nav system, everything seems to feel like an old Atari game in comparison.

I think I just have unrealistic expectations when it comes to graphics and user interface. The Crossover seems to have all the essential functionality, and the manual says you can upload more detailed topo's into it, which is nice. I'll have to explore that further once I play with it more. This is my first GPS, it's a steep learning curve!
                            Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                            Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                            HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

I almost bought the garmin nuvi 350 or something like that it was about 400$,but i decided to just remember the trails instead,so far i have done a great job.But i still would like to get one one day when my memory fades :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X