Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor Logic Takes on "The Black Pearl"

First off a big Thank You to Doug(FishPoet) for allowing us here at ODL to take on this project.
    As many of you have seen The Black Pearl has traveled more dirt roads and rock trails then the average Jeep. So it was time to get some upgrades. After speaking with Doug and finding out what he wanted for the Pearl we got to work. This Jeep is more of an Exploration Jeep and Doug wanted to add safety with out compromising space and a little bit of comfort. The idea is to build a sort of inner/outer cage, without looking like a jungle X/O cage. I think this is the best design when dealing with tight quarters and tall drivers. This will also tie the uni-body tight to the structure.

So here is the build plan:

Inner/outer cage
    HDHC ( Heavy duty High clearance )Rockers
    Basket behind back seat
    Fender well tube protection
    And a few little tricks here and there!

I will post up some pics tonight when I get home.
    Head nut at Outdoorlogic
    Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
    www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Subscribed!
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Will have to follow as well and see if it can work for my 4 Runner.

Comment

Here she sits before
        Head nut at Outdoorlogic
        Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials

Comment

First Step remove all but .5 of the rocker panel and all the way up to the bottom of body:

Next Take some 2x6 45* the ends cap and weld smooth

Then we add (3) 12'' Strips of angle plate to create a shelf for the box tube:

Test Fit Rockers:

Next Bend up the roof HALO:

Next punch holes through the roof for the B, C, D, Pillars:
          Head nut at Outdoorlogic

Comment

Head nut at Outdoorlogic

Comment

Holes all punched time for the down tubes:

Head nut at Outdoorlogic

Comment

Now we have something to connect the Halo

Head nut at Outdoorlogic

Comment

Keep Checking in for a lot more
                  Head nut at Outdoorlogic

Comment

lookin good,i love zj's,,, cut rockers is the only way to go on these station wagons....LOL things gonna look mean when your done!!

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]just watching...[/COLOR]
                      [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                      Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Looking real good so far.

Comment

I have known for a couple of years that I wanted some sort of a cage for the Black Pearl. I knew I didn't want an exo (I hate the jungle jim look) and yet I didn't want to sacrifice interior room with a huge interior cage. I have always liked the look of roof racks on ZJs and they come in handy on longer trips. I like the looks of tube fenders and they offer more protection than the stock sheet metal fenders. I wanted the rocker panels cut out and new sliders installed tied into the cage and frame. I wanted a rear shelf behind the back seat and grab bars for the passenger seat.

I took all of my wants, needs and likes over to Jimmy at Outdoor Logic and we talked, walked and crawled through the Pearl for almost an hour. I left Jimmy with my ideas, the keys to the Pearl and a down payment.

Today was my first day back to the ODL shop in a week and I am thoroughly impressed. It was apparent right away that Jimmy listened intently to what I wanted and is taking my ideas and implementing them with his knowledge and skills in a way that is making me, the customer, very happy.

The A pillar will be run outside under the fender and tied into the rock sliders and the tube fender.

I gained over 3" of clearance with the new rock sliders

Picture from underneath showing the support for the rock slider + B pillar sandwich plate connected to the unibody frame

D pillar

B pillar

B pillar

Halo

There is still much work to be done but I am really exited and pleased at the progress so far.
                          Last edited by FishPOET; 08-05-10, 10:52 AM.
                          Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Wow. Moving right along. That thing should be done in no time.
                            Those left standing
                            Will make millions
                            Writing books on ways
                            It should have been
                            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

C & D pillars

D pillar underneath support

Rear tube fender

Rear tube fender

A pillar

Halo
                              Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Working...
                              X