Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Bear

Originally posted by nagal
    I might be able to come up for the day on Saturday.

I have heard a lot of different things about Big Bear from easy to killer. Any problems with a stock 98 TJ Sport?
    The trails at Big Bear very from easy to tough, nothing killer.
    With a good spotter you can get a stock Jeep through most every thing up there.
    DesertYJ
    29 Palms
    "I Love It When She Crawls On All 4's"

Comment

Originally posted by socalchef
      Tent Peg is once again reserved, I've got a number of people planning to camp, can probably fit a few more in, and anyone is welcome to come wheel for the day. Friday I'll arrive, do a night run if there's interest. Saturday is a work day on White Mountain, not much work to do though, most likely just pick up trash if there's any. Hopefully John Bull after that? Sunday COULD be Deep Creek, I'd like to go up and down the waterfall, rather then just down. Big BBQ Saturday night, if you partake I'd like for you to donate to the food fund, I'll get more details as it comes, hopefully next week, start putting together a list of people coming and all that...
      So I was wondering if I could come up Fri night and camp til sunday morn. What' d ya think?
      “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
      -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

How about 1 jeep, 2 riders for saturday, if I can get off of work(sucks)
        [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
        In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

No Big Bear for me this weekend

I'll be working on the Jeep putting on a new steering stablizer, oil change and some more body armor. My driveway got paved this weekend so I had to put everything off.
          Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

No big Bear for me Either ;( Its that Damn Money Crap... Way over rated!

I am saving for Forest Fest though. Thats for sure....
            Supe
            97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
            Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

I am going to be up there this weekend also. I was gonna run those trails (JB/HC) anyway. I would like to meet up with the group. Let me know where and when.

Jason
              The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT be infringed!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by loop choke
                I am going to be up there this weekend also. I was gonna run those trails (JB/HC) anyway. I would like to meet up with the group. Let me know where and when.

Jason
                Thats what I'm trying to find out. SOCALCHEF, where are you?
                “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
                -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

sorry guys, been busy with work and getting the jeep trail ready again. in the middle of an atlas install and just taking a break. here's the email i sent to my club. i'd like capable rigs to come so we don't have to spot on all the obstacles, but make your own judgement call. it's not THAT hard, but it's not a cakewalk either if you're stock. saturday we are doing white mountain which i am told you prolly shouldn't do without a locker...not to say i wouldn't have tried it without one though. i think everybody except one person that i know is coming is locked. i do ask if you're there for dinner to please bring something to share with everyone.

anyways, here it is

Meant to send this out awhile ago but i've been waiting for confirmations from everyone who raised their hand at the meeting, working my tail off, and trying to get my Jeep trail ready. I'll be arriving at Tent Peg group campground around noon on Friday. I'll be posting directional signs on the way again. I need to pick up another map tomorrow as I can't find mine to give directions again. Off the top of my head you head towards Big Bear, then just after the 76 and Valero (?) gas stations is the turn off on the left for Green Valley Lake. Go left for about 5 miles. On the left you'll see a forest road with signs for Crab Flats. Take that. There are only two or three spots where it can get confusing, but i'll make sure signs are up. It takes a little while to get there, so keep going. After you pass Crab Flats you veer to the left, drop down a hill, then come to an intersection, stick to the left. Shortly after is another intersection, go right. This will wrap around for about a half mile and then you'll get to the entrance of Tent Peg on the left. Actually, those are pretty good directions.

As far as food. I'll be bringing a few pounds of Carne Asada. I got 3 or so confirmations, Adelaide, Chris Enos, and Steve Bass. If you're going to be around for dinner Saturday please let me know. If you're meeting us Saturday or Sunday, please let me know so we will wait for you. Back to Saturday dinner. I'll bring meat and some salsa and tortillas, basics. Bring whatever else you like. This isn't as organized/easy as I would have liked it to have been due to lack of confirmations. Unless there is an overwhelming urge to eat at the Golden Nugget Saturday, we'll be eating out of camp then as well.

NO FIREWOOD is needed due to the current restrictions.

There is a pit bathroom that was clean last month. Bring toilet paper.

No running water that I can recall. The area is dirt/dead grass/weeds surrounded by a lot of trees and a nice dirt parking area. It's about a half hour into town.

Please bring water, tools, spares, camping gear, and we need LANTERNS. I've got one, but without a campfire we'll need another couple to be comfortable at night. Pack it in, Pack it out. There are no trash bins to leave our trash in up there, just a couple cans. Anything leftover we need to bring back and dump once we get off the mountain.

SCHEDULE:
                  As I said i'll be up Friday afternoon. I'm not in a rush since I'm camping and don't have to drive home. It'll be slow paced and enjoyable. We'll leave camp around 9:30-10am Saturday, I know there are a couple people coming up then. Plan is to run White Mountain and John Bull, with a possible Holcomb. Sunday we'll break camp around 9:30 and I still don't know exactly what trails we'll run, maybe Gold Mt/John Bull again as it's quick and we can still leave before it gets too late. I'm definitely open to suggestions though.

I can be reached tonight and tomorrow and friday morning at 714 883 1080, and if i'm at home i don't get reception but there is a number on my voicemail you can reach me at. if you have anything else that needs to be addressed please let me know
                  If it works, it's time to try something new

Comment

problems on the home front

I can't get off of work. one of my partners is off already. My daughter's car has broken down in north cal. so I off to repair her car Story of my life Day late and a dollar short.
                    [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
                    In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

This has been posted on the Calendar.
                      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                      2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

I'm definitely open to suggestions though.

Pontiac sluice would be a good run for sunday if not many have ran it before. Depending on work, I would like to make the white mountain run.
                        ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
                        00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                        97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

I was up in Big Bear last sat. the 24th we ran 3N19 I don't know if it has anouther name but it was a cake for me. (first time up there) we had a stock Sidekick with street tires make it through just required alot of spotting. But I can't make it this weekend maybe so other time. I'm like 25 miles from Calico if anyone is every up that let me know I'll come out and play.
                          75 blazer + 81 CJ-7 + 90 Wrangler = Tonka Jeep Dave

Comment

Hmm, are you sure it was 3N19, not 3N69?

3N19 is the Barley Flats Trail, it's over in the san Gabriel's. 3N69 (Gold Mountain) is the trail to the NE of Big Bear, adopted by West Coast 4 Wheel Drive Club.
                            Jeff
                            OHV76V
                            KG6TY
                            You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_L
                              Pontiac sluice would be a good run for sunday if not many have ran it before. Depending on work, I would like to make the white mountain run.
                              are you coming sunday? i haven't heard of pontiac sluice, but i'm open to that.
                              If it works, it's time to try something new

Comment

are you coming sunday? i haven't heard of pontiac sluice, but i'm open to that.
                                I am working on making it out this weekend. Never done white mtn before. What is it like?
                                Here is a link to some pics of deep creek and pontiac sluice when i ran it in my old ZJ.
                                http://www.fototime.com/inv/3D11D165D89D6AC

The sluice pics start 1/2 way down the page where you see some ramping on an old pontiac {hence the name}. It is off of hwy 38 going out the back way into big bear.

Here are some directions in case I cant make it {I still need to get the auto computer bought and installed, cause the auto is running to hot with the 5-gear computer still in it}

I got these directions from a google search on "pontiac sluice"

Heartbreak Ridge

The trail is reached from SR 38 near mile marker 41 by heading east on 2N01. The trail is an easy dirt one for the first ~ 6 miles passing by Broom Flat before we turn right on 2N89Y uphill as the terrain gets rougher and changes to 2N61Y where we continue straight past the Round Valley CG spur (2N89Y). After another couple of miles the rocks gets bigger and the trail narrower and becomes more difficult until we almost reach the Pontiac turnoff at ~ the 8.5 mile mark. Those wanting a challenging rock crawl go right in the trees past the Pontiac and through the squeeze before a rocky difficult up hill climb is encountered that loops around and returns to the same spot just past the squeeze. The trail heads back out the same way to the turnout were we can always meet up with those that opted out if necessary and went left (west) on 2N61Y that runs back into 2N02 after ~ 13 miles total.
                                Last edited by Chris_L; 07-30-04, 08:27 AM.
                                ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
                                00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                                97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

Working...
                                X