Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
    I flew over you guys this morning around 10:00A. Looks like a little snow up there, and the air is clear! Looks like a great day to wheel at Miller. Can't wait to see pics!

What a great day of wheelin'. Can't say we tried to run Miller, even some of the moderate (blue) trails we ran caught our attention in parts. Today's Lesson Learned: Steep hill + Snow = Bad. Got myself into a hairy situation leading the group down a hill . . . when you are stopped and then just start sliding . . . not a good feelin'! But luckily, my MJR homies had my back and pulled me out by hand! Pics coming soon.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Pics...I'll leave trail report to Schmo

Left to Right
      SAR Jeeper, Geebo, Schmo, Highway 420, Josh

Great trip!!!

Comment

SAR Jeeper must have a better computer than me as my pics are still uploading to Photobucket!!!

Comment

wow nice pics lookslike a fun run
          :gun:im a outlaw baby:gun:

Comment

Jeepin in a winter wonderland

So we headed out in search of snow and Mother Nature did not disappoint. It was a beautiful day with plenty of sunshine, beautiful scenery . . . and snow. David (highway 420), Geeb (Geebo), Josh (calduc), Steve (SAR Jeeper), and Joe (Schmo) were in attendance . . . I guess it was the MJR Valley Edition. We met at the Flying J and then headed out for the trail head.

Steve, David, Geeb, Joe, Josh

Main dirt road leading to trails 113, 112, & 111. We aired down and headed off to 113.

Of course we chose the toughest trail first. 113 is rated as a black diamond and although it is relatively easy dry, the snow mixed things up a bit. We decided to turn around and try another trail about a third of the way down.

So off to 112, which is rated Moderate (Blue).

David playing in the snow.

It didn't take long to find the first obstacle in the form of a steep hill with a couple of nice sized tree roots to climb over. Hell bent on putting my Jeep to the test I blazed up the hill before anyone had a chance to snap off a pic, but managed to catch the rest of the pack who all made it as well. Steve definitely paved the way for the rest as after he was done slipping and sliding, there wasn't much snow left!!!

Feeling confident after conquering the first big climb, we pressed on. Leading the pack, I came to a section of the trail that pretty much freaked me out! Realizing that the trail was quickly becoming steeper we were up for, I tried to stop . . . the key word is tried! So long story short, the rest of the crew hiked down strapped me up and yanked on the strap as I backed up the hill! Took about 5 minutes, but my leg eventually stopped shaking!!! After my fiasco, we decided to seek out some trails that didn't have steep in the description on the map.

So we made it back to the air down area where we started, and were determined to continue our adventure.

We decided to give 115 a try, seeing that it did not have "steep" in the description. This trail was perfect for the snow as the climb up the mountain was a well groomed, hard packed, dirt road and the actual trail went along the ridge and did not have any really steep parts. We grabbed some lunch at a big open area as the fog rolled past.

SAR Jeeper has these cool X-Mas postcards with a pic of his Jeep . . . maybe I could do the same with one of these???

After the 115, we were all still up for another trail so we headed off to 118 which is West Frazier Mine Road, Josh and I had ran this a couple of weeks back as the route to Miller/Lockwood was closed for construction. 118 did have some snow but was still pretty easy.

We decided to give 119 a try knowing that we'd have to backtrack as the gate at the Ranger Station was closed. 119 is listed as moderate (blue) and was just about as hard as I'd want to attempt in the snow. There were a few pretty steep climbs and a couple good rock obstacles to climb over and slide down. We made it to the top and back down all in one piece, but my camera died after the pic of the trailhead sign. After 119, we continued on 118 until we met a guy in a Rubi, who informed us that the construction wasn't done and the main road that connects the end of 118 and the beginning of Lockwood to the pavement was still closed, so we turned around after playing a bit on the hillside and trekked back to the beginning of 118.

Was a fantastic day, with great people, and rockin' Jeeps. You gotta love MJR!!!
            Last edited by Schmo; 12-09-07, 11:07 AM.

Comment

was a fun day. met some awesome people. finishing it off with a bottle of vodka. will post some pics tomorrow. Josh
              Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Well, I must say I had a blast..Thanks for the pic,s Steve and for the report and your pic,s as well Joe. It was sorta slippery in some spots like Schmo said leg shakin slippery but all of us made it out without any carnage..I,ll try and post some pic,s as well..was nice riding with you all again and good meeting ya Josh..Bye the way congrat,s on your jeep Steve,Prayer does work..Lol..Geeb
                "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Originally posted by calduc View Post
                  was a fun day. met some awesome people. finishing it off with a bottle of vodka. will post some pics tomorrow. Josh
                  uuuhhh, my cup was empty...did I miss something!?

Comment

Your trail report......

.......EXCELLENT JOB ON THE TRAIL REPORT GUYS, makes ya wanna run out and do it right now! :thumbs_up

Concedering what the fires did up there its nice to see it all covered in fresh snow......

Great pics....:smile:
                    John & Kristi

Comment

Great pictures....
                      And a great relaxing time in the snow. I didn't even realize those trails ended up in snow. And being so 'close' to home, I think I might do that more often than not. I think the biggest bonus, was no dust, ever. Sunny snow day.
                      The best, and only in California.
                      K, maybe not, but it was worth a shot.

It was a nice day, and as usual, in good company. Thanks all, for making it a mellow day.

See you all soon...
                      David aka Mr.[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Orange[/COLOR]
                      I think it's my turn for a bailout....what do you think?

Comment

Ooh Yeah! Looks like a great time was had by all. Great report too!
                        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                        [/COLOR]

Comment

Great report and pictures guy. Looks like a lot of fun.
                          Check out .

Comment

Looked like fun! Great pics

Comment

finally got a few clips up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPo_5OR56z8

Comment

You guys were right, great website had to join in. Let me know when everyones ready to go again I'd like to tag along if you don't mind. I would be the guy you met in the black Rubi.

Comment

Working...
                                X