Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidewinder & Bronco Pk MUD Run!

For those of you that didn't know, Bob O (mtbikbob) is turning the big 50 this week. Joy, his lovely wife, put together a huge party with a Wild West theme on Saturday night in their home in Escondido.

Sharon and I attended and had an excellent time (thanks Joy!). Rat Patrol also attended. He has work in San Diego so he was staying in the area. Bob and Joy let us all crash after the party, so we all woke up in the morning with a touch of a hangover, and a forecast for some of the heaviest rain so far this month. So what do you think we did.....? We went Jeepin', of course!

I hadn't ever been to the Corral Canyon area, so we checked on line to see if the area was open and since it was, we loaded up and headed out to play in the mud on the trails.

On the way, we had several bursts of rain, but nothing too extreme. Right as we got to the Four Corners area, heavy rain started. It slowed to a mild rain quickly, so we aired down in the lull.

Hoping for the best, we followed Bob to the Sidewinder trail.

What a cool little trail! There are lots of cool things to see on this one mile long trail. Because of the muddy & wet tires, the Rat Patrol was the only one that made it up the Ledge this time:

From where Kurt is to where Bob is (white Jeep), is VERY tilty before you start the steep climb on the other side:

But compared the things that we tackled later in the day, this wasn't so bad.

For one, we had to come down this:

That can cause scratch-n-sniff seats. Apparently, not everyone has made it though this trail:

Near the end of this short trail, you have two choices to get out:

Bob made it his way:

But Kurt's line just couldn't get traction in the mud. But it certainly wasn't for the lack of trying:

I followed Bob's line, but Mr. Green had his own troubles, but he eventually made it:

So far, the weather was cooperating. We had had only a drizzle if anything at all since starting the trail.

We headed to the entrance to Bronco Peak. With all the rain, the only tracks on Sidewider were the ones we made. When we got to Bronco Peak, it was the same thing:

There are some great obstacles on the climb to the top of Bronco:

At the top there are some wonderful views. These were occasionally highlighted by small patches of sunshine popping through the clouds breifly. Pics of the views are in the Photobucket link at the end of the thread.

Also at the top of the peak, the rest of the trail has this warning:

For a Jeeper, is that a sign of happiness or what?
    This sign is serious though, especially in the mud! For several spots just after the sign, it was just point, slide, and pray for the best:

We took a wrong turn and ended up at a trail that headed down the wrong side of the peak from where we wanted to go. We backtracked quickly, but the short side track had some fun stuff on it:

Back on the right trail, things got more technical as we headed down from the peak:

Near the end of the trail, the "top-eating tree" almost got me:

Thanks Bob, for pushing the canvas back away from harm.

It started raining hard again just as we were entering the last obstacle on the trail:

We had excellent luck with the rain and I had a fantastic first run of Sidewinder and Bronco Peak. Many thanks to Kurt and Bob for all the spots to get Mr. Green through this tough trail.

I look forward to seeing the pics from Kurt and (maybe) some video from Joy!

All Sharon's pics can be seen at this link:
    http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...27-08/?start=0

(I apologize that the first 33 pics are in reverse order, the rest are in chronolgical order.)

As for a trail report, both trails were very clean. The Bronco Peak Connector (Trail 3A) needs some maintenance in a couple of places. The heavy rains have uncovered some of the drain culverts that pass beneath the trail. I'm sure that the USFS will want to protect those again with an earth covering.

What an excellent day! It was yet another awesome day on the trail with good friends!

Happy 50th Birthday Bob!
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

The bald guy in the brown jacket lifting the red jeep is strong. I cant believe he just lifted that jeep right over his head. Who needs a jack.

Comment

Nice pics Mike. Looks like a fun trail.
      Check out .

Comment

Mike,

Excellent photo's and report! Looks like a fun trail. Kurt is such a STUD. I always get on the ground and crawl under my Jeep to check the rear diff and underside, I never thought to just lift up the rear end of the Jeep that way. Very Cool, Kurt.

Comment

Kurt... still in the SD Area? Where abouts? Want to meet for a beer some night? Shoot me a PM/call if you're in North County!
          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Fun stuff! Running those trails in the rain make things interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Thanks for the pics and report Mike. Looks like a place I'll have to get out to. Obviously the rain made things more interesting, but how would you rate the trail under normal, dry conditions? Any trails that we've gone on that you'd compare it's difficulty to?
              That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!?
                How many times have I posted up this month asking if anyone wants to go out there? and then you guys go and not say anything? I see how it is....

well im going this friday again...
                [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by smack2020 View Post
                  The bald guy in the brown jacket lifting the red jeep is strong. I cant believe he just lifted that jeep right over his head. Who needs a jack.
                  Yeah, high lift who???

That looked like it was a fun run.
                  Great pictures.....
                  And a birthday shout to Bob...:cake:
                  David aka Mr.[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Orange[/COLOR]
                  I think it's my turn for a bailout....what do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
                    ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!?
                    How many times have I posted up this month asking if anyone wants to go out there? and then you guys go and not say anything? I see how it is....

You said you couldn't go weekends....so?
                    No on Friday, I and others work during the week. Dont get me wrong...love to go, looking forward to the next time, just can't go weekdays.
                    Something about that downhill from the Peak, always claims something from my jeep.
                    "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                    (Charles Wells)

Comment

well what about sat. morn? like early early. or friday evening?
                      sorry im highjacking.

Just post up next time you guys go and ill try to fig something out!
                      [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
                        ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!?

Hey Miguelito, you are the main reason that I wanted to check out these trails. You keep talking about them so I had to find a way to drive them. Kurt and I were talking about you on the trail. We were wondering if you had driven it on Saturday.

I thought that you have always said that Sundays were bad for you or I would have suggested sending you a PM.
                        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                        [/COLOR]

Comment

I'll have my pics up in bit asoon as they finish uplaoding over at Photobucket
                          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                            Kurt... still in the SD Area? Where abouts? Want to meet for a beer some night? Shoot me a PM/call if you're in North County!

MAtt,
                            Naa, back in LA. But thanks for the invite. I'll take you up on it next time I head down your way.

Comment

Finally the damn pics uploaded

OK here are the pics I took at Sidewinder and BobO's Birthday run.

My favorite weather to drive/wheel in

Ghost riders in the sky... Or maybe Gorillas in the Mist?

Seems I took alot of pics of BobO's backside today

And alot of Mikes frontend

The seeasonal streams were all running nicely, and on the way back to LA I saw a waterfall next to the 15!

I know these are some pics Mike and Sharon wanna see

At the top of Bronco

Some flora

Coming down in to the campground

The rest are here:http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...2008/?start=80
                              Last edited by RAT; 01-28-08, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X